Ramshot Magnum in a 22-250 AI

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Ramshot Magnum in a 22-250 AI

Post by leadbiscuit »

With my prarie dog shoot fast approaching, I set out to find a ball powder replacment for H1000 in my 8 twist 22-250ai. Weighing every charge for a couple hundred rounds gets old really damn fast. I had some Ramshot Magnum under the bench and decided to give it a whirl. After a little experimenting I found that 45.5 grains gave just over 3300fps with a 75grain amax. Set out this morning too see how it shot. Here's a pic of the shooting setup I used.
Attachments
pics3 002.jpg
Last edited by leadbiscuit on Sun May 29, 2011 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Re: Ramshot Magnum in a 22-250 AI

Post by leadbiscuit »

In addition to checking the accuracy of the load, it occured to me that maybe some would like to see the trajectory of the load. After carefully zeroing the gun at 200, I shot a group at 300 and 400 hundred yards. It's pretty common for people to think these heavy bullets don't shoot flat. I guess that depends somewhat on what your definition of flat-shooting is. Anyway, for better or worse, here are the groups and the drop. This gun will shoot better than this but my shooting skills off a bipod can vary from day to day. If it matters to you, my scope is exactly 1.75 inches above the bore.
Attachments
pics3 005.jpg
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Good post! Have you tested the ramshot magnum for temperature sensitivity? Those are pretty good froups when shooting from a bipod :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

After carefully zeroing the gun at 200, I shot a group at 300 and 400 hundred yards. It's pretty common for people to think these heavy bullets don't shoot flat.
Nice groups but you forgot one thing. You forgot to add what you dialed in for 200 yd. zero to the drop numbers on the targets..
I was looking at the numbers you posted and was wondering how youre 75 gr. bullet could shoot flatter than my 52 gr. bullet and then I went back to read what you posted....
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

I don't follow you Tim. Why would it be unususal to zero at 200? Chris- No I haven't checked it for temp sensitivity yet. I'll have to when winter rolls around again.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

What I'm saying is you dialed in for 200 yds and then shot at a 300 yds target and wrote down the bullet only dropped 6" from the muzzle when it actually dropped more than that, and then replyed thats some pretty flat shooting for a heavey weight bullet.
I'll exsplain it in another way.. You take two rifles both chambered in the same cal. one is shooting a 52 gr. A-max and the other is shooting the 75 gr.. You have both zeroed at 100 or 200 yds. dose'nt make any difference. You fire a 5 shot group with the 52 gr. and same with the 75 gr. at a 400 yd target.. First thing you will notice is the 75 gr bullet is'nt shooting as flat as you thought it was and willbe anywhere from 2" low if not more compared to the 52 gr. bullet.

Not saying its unususal to zero a rifle at 200 just saying you forgot to add the extra drop you dialed in is all..
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I get what your saying lead and it makes sense to me. You simply zeroed the rifle at 200 yards. put the target at 300 and held dead on at the bullseye to see what the bullet drop from 200 to 300 was. then you did the same at 400. It is not a muzzle drop measurment, it is a simple drop from being zeroed at 200 yards all the way out to 400 yards. This is how i test the drop on my loads as well. I could care less what it is doing at less than 200 yards; that measurment is so null that you hold dead on. I would say your doing quite well with a heavier bullet.
Chris Lyon

leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

O.K. Tim I follow you. Yes you're absolutely correct the 52 will shoot flatter. I normally zero everything at 200 and didn't think much of it. If you have the urge, feel free to zero your 52's at 200 and shoot the same way I did and post the drop. It might be a useful resource to those interested in the difference of the loads. I'm not saying the heavies are right for everyone. I'm saying they work well for me. And thanks Chris.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

leadbiscuit; My rifles are zeroed to what ever distance I'm shooting at the time. I use a Kenton BDC dial..

When I'm testing a load or bullet I leave the rifle zeroed for 100 yds and then shoot at other distances and record the drop. Then I will run my load through the JBM traj. calculator and compare..

Here is a pic of target shot at 500 yds.. Notice the drop.. :mrgreen:
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

That's most likely a very dead coyote. FWIW, I normally dial elevation on the rifle above. I was just running a quick check on the load and didn't bother with it.
I shot that rifle at the jamboree last year so I had to work out a chart for it then. That's why I loaded the new powder to the same velocity of the old load. I didn't feel like doing it over again. I haven't tried any of the ballstic programs to date.

Thanks for the replies fellas
leadbiscuit
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Update:

This powder appears to be a winner. Just got back from my p.d. shoot and the load worked extremely well. There was an hour or so of low winds on Sat. evening when I was able to stretch the ranges a bit. The pasture I was in was only good for 650 yds. and I did manage to take a couple at that range. They both took three shots to get the elevation perfect. Only saw two coyotes where I was at in N. central S.D. One obviously had some troubles. Mange maybe? The other looked healthy enough. I didn't have an opportunity to shoot at either one.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

leadb. how many days/rounds did you do??. were the pups out yet or mosltly adults?/
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

I answered Bucks with a PM. If any of the regulars around here would like more info on the hunt, let me know. I'll share. I'm just not going to do it on the open forum.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

leadbiscuit wrote:I answered Bucks with a PM. If any of the regulars around here would like more info on the hunt, let me know. I'll share. I'm just not going to do it on the open forum.

I think you made a wise choice LB :wink:
Chris Lyon