closed reed calls

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

closed reed calls

Post by leadbiscuit »

Do you fellas have any closed reed calls that have worked well for you? I've got a sceery jackrabbit that I've had some luck with. It actually makes a better bleat than anything else. I'm looking to pick up a couple more. Any advice?

thanks
leadbiscuit
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: closed reed calls

Post by bucksnbears »

circie make a good one
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Thanks Bucks. Anyone else?
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I'm pretty fussy when it come to calls and have bought a few custom calls in the past some good some not so good.. Give Joe Bradshaw a holler on one of the other coyote sites. He makes some of the best closed reed calls I've had my hands on. He makes a working mans call and can voice it for bird, cotton-tail and jack. His prices are reasonable as well...
For store bought I like Burham Bro.s call or any of the sceery calls..
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Although I don't use them very much anymore, I like the Dan Thompson closed reed calls or the Sceery. I'm not a big fan of the Dan Thompson howlers but thats a topic for another thread.
"God hates a coward"
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Cool. Thanks guys.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Closed reed- Sceery AP-3
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
RBoom
coyotehunter

Post by RBoom »

+1 on the Dan Thompson's. My favorite is his Weems replica. I've had really good success with it.
"Well.... That didn't go over so well."
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Thanks fellas. Lots of options.

have a good one
leadbiscuit
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have never been to thrilled with the closed reed calls but Mark Zepp's Rattler is as good as it gets for a closed reed. Very loud and has 2 double reed reeds. very different from most others available.
Coyotes Forever
Kelly Jackson
coyotehunter

Post by Kelly Jackson »

you can make some good sounds with a Burnham Bro's mini blaster.
Use open reeds myself, but when folks ask, I always include the mini.

Stay after them
Kelly
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

I have tried a few closed reed calls, but none of them compare to Sceery... Thats my main call of choice. I had an issue with blowing the reed out (split down the middle) and I guess I still do... So I called sceery and they sent me a few reeds for nothing, and also ordered a bunch of them to have on hand. For some reason im able to blow the crap out of those damn things.....
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Thanks fellas. I understand open reed calls are more versatile. For whatever reason, I suck with them. I'll stick with closed reed until I've spent some time with people who ARE skilled with open reeds and can show me what WTF is goin on. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Optimax90 wrote:I have tried a few closed reed calls, but none of them compare to Sceery... Thats my main call of choice. I had an issue with blowing the reed out (split down the middle) and I guess I still do... So I called sceery and they sent me a few reeds for nothing, and also ordered a bunch of them to have on hand. For some reason im able to blow the crap out of those damn things.....

if your blowing so hard you got crap coming out.............I can just imagine you blowing so hard on stand you shit yourself.......
Coyotes Forever
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Coyotehunter wrote:
Optimax90 wrote:I have tried a few closed reed calls, but none of them compare to Sceery... Thats my main call of choice. I had an issue with blowing the reed out (split down the middle) and I guess I still do... So I called sceery and they sent me a few reeds for nothing, and also ordered a bunch of them to have on hand. For some reason im able to blow the crap out of those damn things.....

if your blowing so hard you got crap coming out.............I can just imagine you blowing so hard on stand you shit yourself.......

HA! :lol: There is another reason I will NEVER eat "swamp ass chilly" at one of the tournaments..... That is just a loaded gun right there :shock: :lol:
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.