closed reed calls

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: closed reed calls

Post by lyonch »

leadbiscuit wrote:Thanks fellas. I understand open reed calls are more versatile. For whatever reason, I suck with them. I'll stick with closed reed until I've spent some time with people who ARE skilled with open reeds and can show me what WTF is goin on. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

leadbiscuit - when you come to the minot hunt, we can work on the open reed calls :wink: Bring them with if you have any and im sure more than a few of us would be more than willing to give you a crash course on using them.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Ok, this topic brings up a very good arrgument... Is any one call going to be better in all stands than another??? I guess in my head I think that stand location and set up are FAR more importantant than any call.... I don't give a rats arss what call (hand orelectronic) you are have, they seen you walk in or wind you, jigs up!!! I have seen a coyote come top some strange calling :? So I guess what i'm saying is, if it sounds good to the caller, your comfortable using the call, and it seems to pull a few coyotes in, who am I to tell you "thats not how you use a hand call....." Show me two lip squeaks that sound the same..... Just sayin :?
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

The call doesn't make the stand more productive. There is no "this is the only way to do it" type of calling. There is no two people out there that sound exactly the same on the same call. the air is always introduced differently to the call, thus causing a different sound. Understanding where to hold your teeth or lips on the reed when attempting to make a given sound, is the fundamental part of it. When the fundamentals are takin care of, a person will then produce their own unique sound. The fundamentals are what leadbiscuit would be taught or encouraged at the minot hunt. when blowing on your open reed call, try to blow it by puffing your cheeks out and only your lungs. Try blowing from your diaphram (like single reed goose callers do). Try blowing with a little girggle from your voice. use your teeth versus your lips and vice versa. These all will produce a unique sounds in itself. I look at calling coyotes, a lot like calling turkeys when it comes to sounds. It has nothing to do with the "perfect" sound, but rather the tempo or rythm in which you make your sounds. I have listened to live hen turkeys that sounded like my newborn kicking my box call around the house. Listen to an old male coyote try to howl. There seems to be a lot of nasty girgly sounds coming out before the symphony starts playing. Same goes for rabbits and other game animals in distress. Their lung capacity plays the biggest role in which how often and how long they can scream in distress. Here is the order of importance to me on a stand.

Location - their has to be a coyote out there to call to or the rest wont matter.

wind direction - you don't want them smelling you as you walk into the stand

your set up - is the sun to your back, are you sky lined etc etc

your shooting - you can't kill it if you can't shoot

You calling - being on location with the right wind and set up will far outweigh your calling ability. So give it your best shot and sound like that rabbit whos nuts are in the process of being taken off with a spoon :twisted:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

That sounds simple!!! Now go do it!!!
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
rorycoyote
coyotehunter

Post by rorycoyote »

i wish i still had access to a wood lathe. i made quite a few calls at one time but have since given all but a couple away. the best advice i can give for learning the open reeded calls is leave them in your truck and tweet away everytime you go somewhere. this keeps you from pissing off everyone in the house which will happen when you practice at home, and gives you something to do while driving to work.
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

rorycoyote wrote:i wish i still had access to a wood lathe. i made quite a few calls at one time but have since given all but a couple away. the best advice i can give for learning the open reeded calls is leave them in your truck and tweet away everytime you go somewhere. this keeps you from pissing off everyone in the house which will happen when you practice at home, and gives you something to do while driving to work.
I make a few closed-reed calls every now and then on my lathe, the most recent being this one:
I say anything with a JC reed in it is a good option. I've got three calls on my lanyard right now that have JC reeds in them. The one pictured above, one I made with waterbuffalo horn, and the other is a Dan Thompson PC-2. I really like closed-reed calls, but also do some distress on open-reeds. I do the same as rorycoyote, practice in the vehicle on your way to check traps or to your favorite hunting spot.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

nice looking call 1 shooter 8)
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Damn nice!! How much? :D
"God hates a coward"