Lyonch Trapping 2010

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Lyonch Trapping 2010

Post by lyonch »

Well it's time to role the 2010 season into my spring beaver line. Here are some of the highlights so far.

First i started off the season by skinning 101 beaver out of a 102 beaver pile in one night :shock: Thanks Mich and Marty for all the work :lol:

Then i ran out on a saturday evening real quick and put out 20 sets. I checked those 20 sets the next afternoon and it produced 14 large beaver :D This is the highest catch percentage i ever had. 70% is pretty good in my book.

Out of the 14, one of them was 100% jet black :D

The next day after i caught the 14, i ran the same 20 traps again and plucked out 11 of them.

Then i started putting out more traps and covering more ground. I ended up with around 60 sets our for beaver covering a fair amount of area. This was the first check. There are 20 beaver in the pic

Then i started doing a 3 day check, and on the first 3 day check, it produced 25 beaver :D

My line has drastically went downhill since then, and my last check i only had 10 beaver for 70 traps. I did end up finding some serious sized castors out of one of the beavers. These castors alone, weighed just shy of a pound. I saw dollar signs when i plucked these monsters out 8)
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

That a boy wow looks like you can mark knowing how to trap beavers off of the list.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

your doing great Chris. say, i have a buddy that builds walk in freezers??? need his # ??. i happen to know a good looking carpenter that can build you a bigger fur shed :mrgreen: he can start in a month or so??
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

PG - thanks fella!

Bucks - i just so happen to have a dad that works for a company that does refrigeration. They are currently takeing out over 28,000 square feet of cooler panels at a project right now. I just so happen to get a few spoken for me :wink: I have the evaporator all lined up, i just need to somehow find a single phase compressor that is going to handle the load i am going to put on it :? As of now the freezer is going to be a 12'L x 8'W x 8'T. I am also putting it on skids. If i ever have a situation where i need to move it, i will be able to. I do need a bigger fur shed :lol: But i sure hope this good looking carpenter doesn't drive a subaru :lol: :mrgreen:
Chris Lyon

1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

HOLY CRAP! Good haul on the beaver Chris! Those are some HUGE castors! 8) Your arms gotta be sooore.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

:shock: :shock: Thats alot of beaver and a fair amount of work........Do you work???? :lol: :lol: The black is cool I saw one tanned and strung in a willow loop it looked great
a proud member of the "IF" team
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Holy Jesus Chris, my arms were sore from the first pic let alone the rest of them!!!

With the market the way it is think about getting some of them tanned and put in the willow hoops like TB stated and sellin them.

Or how about a beaver bed spread!!

Nice job!! Beaver are a lot of work!!! Well done!
Randy Roede
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Ive been hearing beaver may get a little kick in the rear price wise.

Just in time Chris! Better get scrapin!

Im gonna finish up my last batch Sunday. Out of freezer space and may have to find a place to store a couple hundred 'rats over summer. Got a couple guys that want hooped wall hangers than im gonna get rid of em quick.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Thanks for the nice comments!! I am putting them up as fast as i can. My motto has always been to wack and stack now while in season, and put up the fur later. I had to buy 2 more freezers for these things. I have a couple people that want the willow hooped beavers. Some of the seriously real dinks, never made the stretcher. They wouldn't even stretch to the smallest circle :shock: I have been hearing some decent reports for the MN beaver lately. A couple gentlemen sold to Groeny about a week ago, and averaged around $25 for good put up MN beaver :D Last night was the last check for me, and we ended the season with only a 7 beaver check. We should of had 8 beaver last night, but that is another story :wink: One of them last night had better fur than the select few that i caught under the ice. The majority of them now though, have some serious bite marks in them. There are 28 put up so far, and probably around 200 to go yet :shock:
Chris Lyon

bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

you'll need the extra $$ soon :wink: diapers,formula,ect.. you done real well this past year bud!!!!!!!
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Looks like the gas and motels are paid for this tournament season after the spring and fall you had for fur checks!! Good work bud you took the torch and ran with it.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

well i cleaned out the freezers 100% and found a lot of critters that i had that didn't put up before. Muskrats, a mink, some fox, a coyote from bucks :wink: and some coon and skunks that i caught in the spring season. Here is my latest and greatest end of the line pic. I was not happy with the end price for all the fur, but i got a screaming deal on some traps and trappin gear, so i can't complain too much!

Chris Lyon

bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i like them kinda pics. puts things into perspective. good job
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

good god man!! Great pics.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

ATTA BOY!!! Good work! thats a lot of blood, sweat and tears laying on that lawn