2011 Minot Predator Hunt Results

Coyotehunter.net will be holding a 1- day coyote hunting tournament in Minot, ND 13 October 2012

Moderator: Coyotehunter

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

2011 Minot Predator Hunt Results

Post by Coyotehunter »

Nick Nielsen and Matt Klabo from Valley City with 10 coyote to take 1st place
Nick Nielsen and Matt Klabo from Valley City with 10 coyote to take 1st place
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: 2011 Minot Predator Hunt Results

Post by Prairie Ghost »

The hunt was a great success with good weather and lots of coyotes around. We had 15 teams registered and fourteen teams that showed up for the hunt. There was a few new faces but overall a real tough and competetive field.

5th place went to Darren Schneider and Brad Heim with 6 coyotes.

4th place went to Damon and Tim Finley with 7 coyotes

3rd place went to Marty Oyloe and Mitch Kvernum with 7 coyotes and winning the tie breaker by around 25 lbs

2nd place went to Terry and Travis Bush with 8 coyotes

1st place went to Nick Nielson and Matt Klabo with an amazing 10 coyotes way to go boys thats a hell of a day!

Little dog went to Marty and Mitch with a 16.4lb coyote

Big Dog went to Nick and Matt at 38.2lbs

In total the fourteen teams that showed up seen a total of 123 coyotes and 3 fox and harvested 53 coyotes!!!

Good Job Everyone!!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

great start to the season. thanks to everyone for coming out.
Coyotes Forever
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Congratulations to all who placed!! Sounds like things were taken up a notch at the minot hunt :shock:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
NickNielsen

Post by NickNielsen »

Great day for calling and everyone put a hurt on the coyotes. Good work. We had one of those days that will be tough to top, nothing could go wrong. I'll try to put a lil story up when I have some time for anyone that is interested. Kind of fun to hear about everyone's day. Great job Brad and Blake for a speedy weigh in and another great coyotehunter.net tournament!
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

would love to read it good job u 2 also
NickNielsen

Post by NickNielsen »

Sorry in advance for such a long post .

1st stand made was the same as our first stand last year where Matt shotgunned a nice female. We headed out just before shooting time. I was field side, Matt fence line about 30 yds away covering the thick draw. Soft distress to start out, 30 seconds in hard charger on my side, stoppped him at 75 yds, bang flop. 1st dog down right at sun up. Fattest male i've seen in a long time. Scared the shit out of Matt as he couldn't see this one charge in. Got on the pup distress right away but nothing. Did some howling at the end to try to at least locate a few others to go after. 4 blew up just 1.5 miles away. We headed there immediately. Tried calling them from the field above and nothing so we moved in closer. I set up 150 yds from Matt covering downwind draw. He called and got one mouthing off back. I saw her lay down and ranged her at 450. There was some nice cover so I started to put the sneak on, little did I know so did Matt. I closed the distance to 250 and heard a bang then a coyote screaming so I got on the pup distress and saw Matt way back behind me, I was wondering if he shot the same dog. 500 yds from Matt another one came out of the draw heading out at a good speed. Matt shot, thought he hit. I headed over to him and saw the bitchy female laying way out there. He heart shot her at 395. Great shot! We went to look for blood on the other one, nothing. As we started heading to get the female, 2 busted out of a thicket only 75 yds away. We each dumped one on the run. Dog 2, 3, and 4 down by 9:35. That's a good feeling.
We headed to our next stand, cattle, draws, hills, perfect sneek in. This one was screaming coyotes. I covered downwind again 50yds from Matt. He lay prone and started with light distress, immediately I saw a big dark dog and here he came. It took him probably 5 minutes to close the distance from 700 to 120 where Matt put one through his chest. Big male, 37.5 lber. Starting in on the pup distress again another one sat on his ass at 650 where the first one came from. He wouldn’t budge, no matter what we threw at him. We reached the truck and headed up the prairie road to get the coyote and Matt’s gear, CRP field on the left, one was right in the middle of the prairie road looking at us at 40 yds. He took off, we parked the truck, ran about 150 to the draw he went in. Matt grabbed my AR as his rifle was up the road with the dead coyote. The backdoor dog busted out of the draw and a few missed shots later headed cross country.
Next stand, same scenario, I covered downwind 150yds, Matt set up in the fence line and did the calling. 10 minutes or so in I heard him bark, bark, and bark, bang, I heard the hit and knew we had #6 down. Dog was pissed apparently and finally stopped at 60 where he lay. Called for another 15 minutes, stood up, walked to Matt and looked out, another one coming in. Got down, nothing for 10 minutes so we snuck up over the hill, he busted us and Matt missed him boiling out.
Matt dropped me off and we planned to meet 45 min later on the road. I made a quick call into a deep thick draw. Kept it quiet cuz I wanted to call again from about 500 yds upwind. Nothing, headed to my next spot, set up between 2 draws, laid prone about 15 minutes into my set, big male ducked the fence trotting in and looking back, couldn’t believe it. Swung my gun, whoofed him at 75 and that was it for this old timer. 38lb male with a touch of mange. I drug the dog to the road and shortly later Matt arrived. I told him to grab block 7 and write the time on it, smartass said you sure it’s not block 8. I looked for block 7 and it was gone. Put 2 and 2 together and he had one in the truck too. He walked up a draw a mile from where he dropped me off, sat down and had one come in under a minute. Shot his at 60 yds in the neck as all he had was a head or neck shot.
Jumped in the truck and in a few minutes arrived at another great looking area. Walked in quite a ways for this stand and again it looked promising. Matt called from the fence line again and I sat further down in the fence. We called for 15 minutes before one snuck up over a hill on my side. 75 yds to the chest and the VLD did the trick. Called for another 15 minutes and nothing. #9 down.
We still had a couple good hours of hunting and wanted to fill that last block bad. The next stand looked real good also. Called some CRP, slough, and brush piles. Nothing showed for this one. On to the next.
We worked our way back to Minot and decided to call one more spot as time was running out before we had to hit the road to make check ins. Matt dropped me off and I called from a stock dam. Nothing showed but heard a pack howling a couple miles off. Shit I thought picked the wrong spot. I texted him to come get me as I just figured he drove to the next section and parked out of view due to time restraints I didn’t think he would make a call but when he picked me up he tossed me the empty ring, I called bullshit, but sure enough another nice female to round out the day. He ended up parking the truck by a tree row and nearly ran to his stand. In a few short minutes he had a pissed female mach 10 coming in. He told me he had to whoof a few times before she made the mistake of putting on the brakes. Matt shot her broadside at 60 yds, ran back to the truck, and picked me up. We may have had to speed a bit to make check ins but it was well worth it.
All in all I know we were quite lucky but we did have to pick our spots, choose our tunes, make shots, and drag a bunch of fur for miles. 11 stands total. 8 stands produced. One produced 3 dogs, and 7 produced singles. It was the most fun day of coyote hunting yet. Every day of calling is fun but this one felt great. Congrats to my partner and all other teams. 53 coyotes for 15 teams is one hell of a day.
snareit
coyotehunter

Post by snareit »

nice
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Nice when it comes together like that good job guys!!!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

great story Nick!!. feels damn good to bring in an empty ring :wink: i wish you well this tournament season
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."