Let's talk Bobcats.

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Let's talk Bobcats.

Post by Coyotehunter »

I try to get my cat sets if possible in a area that will blow or melt off.............if possible. When I lived in Minnesota it was not possible.
Coyotes Forever
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I do too. Frozen equipment sucks! :evil:
EO you're being closed minded on your trapping. :lol: :mrgreen: Think about the set's you could keep running without pickin'up the trash! I had to leave 4 of my cat sets open yesterday because I'm a dumb ass and didn't restock the truck with pan covers!! :shock: :oops: I'll leave em open and let you know how it works.

My go to cat set is a simple walk through with gland lure and some form of flag.
"God hates a coward"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

walk through on cats sets is important, I also think it is everything with tough coyotes as well. Another topic sometime. I will make a trail with a Polanski (sp) using lots of blocking if it is not all ready there. With cats I always set on sign not location.
Coyotes Forever
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

I know Dusty but the first time I checked my trap and it was blank I would cover it. So I might as well just do it the first time. :x I might have to try it just for you Dusty. But like I said, first time its blank I'm throwing dirt on it.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

in minnesota that is how they did it over there. those cats ain't to smart. I should try it out here but I just hate the look of a uncovered trap.
Coyotes Forever
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Coyotehunter wrote:walk through on cats sets is important, I also think it is everything with tough coyotes as well. Another topic sometime. I will make a trail with a Polanski (sp) using lots of blocking if it is not all ready there. With cats I always set on sign not location.
What the hell is a Polanski anyways? I've seen were O'Gorman talks about it.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

It's what the dryland firefighters carry One side has kind of a long hoe on it and the back side has a big pick on it. You can really dig a trap bed in a hurry with one i wouldn't trap predators without one.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

That was my next question 2 EO!! :? :lol: I can't say that it's easy to do but there is some value to it. I don't just leave the trap completely bare. I always find some form of duff or light material to break up the outline of the trap. I'm in a very high competition bobcat area. We have 3 other trappers in the same area and pretty reputable cat guys. I want to get my cats fast and make sure my equipment stays running!! That means that I have to set in some spots that are less than perfect to block the cat from getting to the next guys sets. I have to pull out everything but a switchblade to compete with these guys. Every tool and method is a learning experience.
Give it more than 1 check and have some patience!! :mrgreen:
"God hates a coward"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

If any one does not have a polanski in the back of there truck it is a must have. you can really move some dirt with one.
Coyotes Forever
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

DustyC wrote:That was my next question 2 EO!! :? :lol: I can't say that it's easy to do but there is some value to it. I don't just leave the trap completely bare. I always find some form of duff or light material to break up the outline of the trap. I'm in a very high competition bobcat area. We have 3 other trappers in the same area and pretty reputable cat guys. I want to get my cats fast and make sure my equipment stays running!! That means that I have to set in some spots that are less than perfect to block the cat from getting to the next guys sets. I have to pull out everything but a switchblade to compete with these guys. Every tool and method is a learning experience.
Give it more than 1 check and have some patience!! :mrgreen:
Fortunatly Dusty i don't have that problem. The two guys in this county that were the real cat catchers,,,,well I own all their traps now. :lol: I do know the patience game. I once left a set for two months before a big ole tom wandered into it. I'm gonna try it though. If there is a good opportunity for it. I boiled up a dozen #4 victor coil springs and I'm gonna double them up in a spot that is only gonna be about an every 5 night check spot due to the distance and difficult road to get to it. (ie the road is actually a river we have to jet boat up). Its fun but kinda a pain in the ass and alot of hiking.

PS I guess I know what to ask Santa for Christmas. Polanski. :lol:
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Busted ass all day yesterday just to have it come in and snow 8 inches!!!!! :x :evil: Thankful for all of the cedars and rock to keep it off of some of my sets. :D Snares will still be running for sure.
"God hates a coward"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

We got about six inches here. That kind of really heavy snow can really put a hurt on the snaring when it comes straight down. Everything sags if you don't have them on snare supports so that the brush that they are supported off now sag and your snares on hanging three inches off the ground plus the ones that aren't painted white stick out like a sore thumb for the next few days :evil: Still in better shape then most traps though thats for sure.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

70 sets out so far and the 3rd snow this week!! nothing to heavy yet but enough to screw the roads up so you do not dare drive down them. just a grease mess.
Coyotes Forever
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I've got 63 out so far with another 60 traps and about 100 snares to go. We had that really nice light fluffy snow that came srtaight down. usually it doesn't do that around here.
"God hates a coward"
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

Ya I use a mid sized pickax for making sets and the large pickax for pulling earth anchors and digging them out when removing them. The cheek rub set is the one I use the most for bobcats.