DustyC 11/12

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

DustyC

DustyC 11/12

Post by DustyC »

Finally remembered to take a couple pics of what I caught yesterday. This is the third cat this season. I jumped all over this new location and it's really paying off. Just since the 15th i've caught 3 cat's and 6 coyotes out of 8 traps and 32 snares. More pics to come.
cat.JPG
cat#3.JPG
"God hates a coward"
LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: DustyC 11/12

Post by LeviM »

Way to go peckerhead! Just kidding, very jealous!!!!!! Keep staking those cats
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Nice work and good looking kitty!!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Thanks for runbbing in the cat pics :cry: !! I really wish we had decent cats here :roll:

Congrats on the success of the new spot 8)
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

And #4!!! :D Nice big tom that I caught at a great spot where the rocky hill meets with the sage brush flat.
#4.JPG
The second pic really pisses me off!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: This is one of the reasons this guy doesn't get to trap this spot anymore. The cat has been dead for at least 1 month if not more. He was supposed to pull all of his equipment this past winter after the manager of the ranch caught him stealing at least 2 of my cat's. Now I know he won't be trapping here for sure this year.
leon.JPG
"God hates a coward"
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Are your cats Primed up prettty good Dusty? I'm gonna get started Sunday. Sick of the dogs. Its been a long month and a half. :? Can't wait to see spots. :D
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

They really are. Real heavy fur to the 4 that I've caught so far. :D
Here are some pics of some coyotes and a few shots of why I'm going back to the #3 Montana Special traps. I have never had a toe catch with one or a poer out. The coyote below was trying to roll a flagged cat set. He wasn't going anywhere after that!! :twisted:
rolled.JPG

The next 2 are of a coyote double I caught. I couldn't get them to line up for the shot! :lol:
double.JPG
pissed off.JPG
All of my cats have been caught really high and there hasn't been much slippage or paw damage!!!
Mt cat.JPG
"God hates a coward"
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Yep, the next new traps I buy are gonna be Montana's. I run mostly dogless Montgomery's and I love em. I tried the Bridgers #3's this year and don't think to much of them. Cheap metal, always having to retune after a catch. They do hold well though.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Way to go Dusty! Looks like you got a good season start.

However i would pay attention to what you post the AFR's watch these sites just as much as we do.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Heres #6! :D
number6.JPG
This is a picture of the set that caught him. I learned it from one of the best cat guys around. Tom Krause. He calls it a chicken on a post, modified. It's a cubby set cut into a low hanging juniper. The trap is set in between the rock on the right and the little piece of dried up sage on the left. You put one big stick behind the trap pretty tight. Set the trap out a little way's just in case the cat doesn't want to commit, you can still catch him.
chicken on a post.JPG
"God hates a coward"
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Way to go Dusty! Nice lookin' cat! Keep sockin' it to 'em! :)
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have not been overly impressd with the Montana's and love the bridgers. I do wish they came with a better dog though, pretty weak. I buy the Ogorman replacements and they are bullet proof.
Coyotes Forever
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I know we've had thisn conversation before but besides being fussy to tune up whats your other complaints about the Montanas? I like the dogless design of the montanas and the last dozen I bought just need a little pan adjustment. The jaws sat really flat for a trap straight out of the factory. There was only 2 traps that had to have the trigger filed and the rest all tested between the 3-4 # of pan tension that I like.

I really haven't had any of my bridgers tore up or my montanas.

EO, why don't you and anyone else on here chime in on the bridger #3 and the montana #3.
"God hates a coward"
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I have been using bridger #2s, and #3s for a few years now. They are coyote catching machines. My biggest complaint is the prep work. It takes alot of offseason work to prep them. I tried the MB650s this season, these traps are way to powerfull for coyotes. I had alot of foot damage and almost lost a coyote. I also broke my finger when I had a mishap :(
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

I run a bit of everything. Sterling's, MB 650's , Bridger #3's, Monty #3's. Here is my run down. And by no means am I a trap mechanic, or too much of an experienced trapper. I've had a couple of good years is all.
The MJ600's are probly the cadilac of traps as far as toughness. I have trouble getting the pan level and the tension is tough to adjust. Plus I like to use screen and its tough with these traps.The ADC guy in my county runs nothing but MJ's with the smallest pan he can put on them with cupcake paper for the pan cover.
The MB 650 is a awsome trap. I laminated them myself and they will hold something till it expires. Strong enough to break frozen ground (and fingers) and are ready to set out of the box. Just adjust the tension and go. But I can only set them by hand if I'm fresh early in the morning. (I have bad elbows and a shoulder going to hell) Otherwise I have to stand on them. I don't like to do that. And the pan cover thing applies here again
Bridgers are just a hot mess IMHO. Lots of prep work, weak dogs, everytime I catch something I have to re adjust. I will say once they get ahold of something they will not let it go. Once again I'm not much of a trap mechanic.
If you were to ask me to throw away everthing but one kind of trap that I own I would keep my #3 montgomeries. They are easy to set, bed, most mine are laminated and they are all offset and they don't let go. They are easy for me to adjust if I ever need too. And maybe its because they are what I was raised with.
It all relative, they are all good traps in there own way. Its different strokes for different folks. I also think everone should own a 257 weatherby just because thats what I hunt with. CH would say that everbody should shoot a 22-6 because he loves his. I am still in the testing stage though trap wise. My mind is open. I'm gonna try some Montanas this next year and I also want to buy a couple of theose Jakes. But just a couple. Freakin spendy. :shock: There ya go Dusty. Let the EO bashing begin.