GETTING STARTED By Leadbisquit

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: GETTING STARTED By Leadbisquit

Post by lyonch »

There is so much information in this post that it is hard to digest it all. I will re-read this a few times over and over again to make sure i can get it all absorbed in that tiny brain of mine. Great Post LeadB!!!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

It took me several YEARS to figure out most of what's in this post. I still don't know as much as many good builders. Not by a long shot. Please don't hesistate to ask any question you guys have. I tried to make it as understandable as I could, but if somethings aren't clear it may be my fault. Hope you're enjoyng the thread.

have a good one
leadbiscuit
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

leadb. is the cartridge stamped on the barrel before or after its installed??
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

After, mostly to be sure the stamping ends up in a reasonable position when the barrel is installed. I normally wait until after I've test fired the gun, just to be certain everything is kosher. If for some reason the barrel needs to be removed and modified, I don't have to worry about the stamping ending up in a goofy spot.
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I've got a couple questions. 1st how about a .308 on Rem 700 action? How much and how long? :D :D Awesome post. show us how well it shoots with some pics of tart
gets. I'm not kidding!!!! How much and how long?

'
"God hates a coward"
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Thanks for the positive remarks Dusty. I'll be sure to post some targets here shortly. I would like to put a gun together for you, but I can't until I go through the process of getting an FFL and insurance. I'm waiting on my stepdad to decide he's ready to sell his cows and retire. Until then I can't work enough hours in my shop to make it pay.

have a good one,
leadbiscuit
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I understand the cow deal. I't takes alot of time and work to own those stupid things!!!!! :? I want to know when you start the gun deal because I want to be towards the top of the list. I'm all ready putting parts together. :D
"God hates a coward"
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

I'll let you know when I get things going Dusty. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I haven't pushed the retirement thing too hard because some old timers don't last long after the cows go. It's the only thing that keeps some of them going.
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

I never did give you fellas an accuracy report on this rifle. I only managed to take in one match last spring and did "so so". My best 600 yd group was around 3 in. and the worst was around 6in. I accidentally sent a round while I was still fiddling with my rear bag. I had a hell of a time getting the rifle to track staight in the bags. The flooding in Pierre caused the VHA to cancel the remaining matches. I found out after the fact that they did have a couple matches early this fall. I never really got around to spending much time with this rifle. Recently, I added a vais muzzle brake to it and fitted a stock better suited shooting prone off a bipod.

Awhile back I exchanged a few PM's with xdeano about this and that. He showed a genuine interest in learning how to true and rebarrel. I invited him down and showed him how it's done. Hopefully he was able to decipher the majority of my coffee-fueled ramblings..... Anyway, the last time he stopped down I sent the Savage home with him. I'm secretly trying to convert him into another fast twist, overbore, 22cal freak.... Actually, I just thought he might have some fun playing with it. I asked him to post his impression of the accuracy of the rifle in this thread. Good or bad. Shoot groups or smash rocks, whatever he feels like doing with it. Anyways, look for something in the next few weeks.

have a good one
leadbiscuit
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

Just want to give a big Thank You to Leadbisquit. Teaching me the ropes on what it's all about to obtain accuracy at the ground floor, truing an action and building guns. It's an eye opening experience into how much dedication a Gunsmith has in his equipment and knowledge to put together a few pieces of metal and make it into a piece of art. It's a privilege to see how it's done, So Thank you.

Now on to this little 22 pill that he send home with me. DAMN is it fast! Not as fast as Bucksnbears little rice burner. But a 22 shooting an 80g Berger VLD at 3500fps, that's got some ass to it. I'm use to shooting a 22-250 with a 50g NBT at 3400fps. I also use to shoot Service Match when I was down in Bismarck with a 223 using 77g SMK's at 2750fps, what a dog, but it would make it down to 600yds pretty well. Ballistically the 22-243 with the 80g VLD is outstanding with a BC of .445, that's way above and beyond the measly 50g NBT with a bc of .238, that i'm use to.

Initial sight in at 200yds was in laymen terms, wow. It's a screamer!

I'll update you guys when i get the wind down around 10mph to give you a decent accuracy report. With a few pics.

Deano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

Ok guys here is the 22-243 of LeadBiscuits that he converted from a bench gun to more of a tactical gun. It's a trued Savage Action, with a Vortex scope that he had laying around.

I took some time yesterday afternoon to get out to my range and test it out a bit. He gave me a box of shells that were made for his other 22-243, but he said to use them anyhow. So I did. Prior to shooting it, i gave it a good cleaning, it didn't take much to clean it up. There was very little copper in the barrel at all. It was mainly carbon fowling which is expected with shooting such a large amount of powder through such a small hole. I know this rifle had several rounds through it from messing around with it down at his place.

Here is a compairison between a 22-250 with a 50g Nosler BT, and the 22-243 with an 80g Berger VLD.

I first Chronographed it with my 200yd test target.
Temp 33F - 34F
Wind @ 3 o'clock 6-10mph

Shot 1 3503fps (slow because it was probably burning off the oil that i had in the barrel from cleaning it).
Shot 2 3533
Shot 3 3529
Shot 4 3538
Shot 5 3527fps

Average 3526fps
Hi 3538
low 3503
SD 12.099
ES 35

I kind of have to explain this target a little. I Shot the first round, which is the hole in the right side of the black box, I couldn't see it through the scope. I wasn't about to run down to 200 because I didn't have much time before dark. So I raised it 1MOA (2"). And shot a 4 round group. The group measured .625" outside, - bullet dia. (.224) = .401" That's not a bad group at 200yds, off the ground with a sandbag and no canting level. I can live with that. ;)

Here is the 200yd Target.

Then since I had my velocity, i figured i'd punch it into my Shooter program on my phone and get my dope for 400yds where i have an AR500 plate set up. It said to dial it 3.4MOA of elevation on 2.8 for windage of 10mph. So i dialed 3.5U and 1MOA R into the wind. I shot one round it hit about an inch or so high and 4 inches right. So i backed it back down to zero out my windage. So no windage for a 400yd with a 6-10mph full value wind. That is kind of crazy. Then i shot 5 more rounds in succession in less than 30 seconds. I know if I would have put my canting bubble on there would have been less horizontal dispersion. my vertical dispersion is about 2" and the horizontal is about 2.5" and the group size is right around 2.5". That's not by best shooting but with a weapon that you're not familiar with it sure isn't bad by any means. It's still .625 MOA. That will kill a coyote. ;)

Here is the 400yd gong. I repainted it just for you guys. Again the first round landed just high and right, i corrected 1moa left and didn't mess with elevation at all.

These heavy 22 cal rounds can really put out with some authority. It felt like I was shooting my old 22-250 so recoil was nothing. The only thing that it's lacking is the suppressor. ;) hehe

After seeing how much time and effort that LeadB takes into putting a rifle together, I understand how they can build guns that can shoot tiny little holes. Nice work LeadBiscuit!

If you have any question, please ask.

Thanks again Leadbiscuit for letting me watch how you do things and for letting me test out your 22-243.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Damn, I need to have you shoot all of my guns, Deano. The 80 grain Bergers sure handle stiff loads better than the 75gr Amaxes do. That ammo was loaded for my coyote rifle, so I was wondering how things were gonna go down.

That Vortex Viper is what it is... a pretty good scope for 400 bucks. The glass is a bit "flat" and has a strong greenish tint. But the adjustments work well. Target turrets and a side focus for 400 bucks. Not too shabby.

I don't think I'll ever get used to the accutrigger though. It's a decent trigger. Just not my cup of tea.

Hmmm.... I wonder what would have happened if I had put my NF on it for ya..

lead
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

LB,

I'd thought about pulling my NF off my 308 but I figured i'd try the Vortex out. It wasn't all that bad, it has a touchy eye relief, and what you'd mentioned a little flat. At 20x the edges had a slight fisheye effect, not as bad as some scopes i've looked through that were more expensive.

I agree with you on the accutrigger, that thing is something else. The little blade just messes with my head. But it would be something to get use to and those who have them and get use to them, there's nothing wrong with them.

As far as shooting all your gun, bring it on... ;)

xdeano
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Thanks for the info guys good post.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

That was very informative!! What a great addition to this thread!! Thanks a ton LeadB and Xdeano 8)
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!