EO Kitty trapping 2010

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: EO Kitty trapping 2010

Post by Coyotehunter »

I guess I have not heard of it called the nevada stretch but that is how I learned ed to do it from a guy in south dakota. I use the ends of coat hangers in the front legs pinned flat and cross the back legs.
Coyotes Forever
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Chris thats the way these guys down here told me I needed to start doing it. And coyotehunter told me that also. But by the time I heard the damage was done. Also I have never used borax. But in some of the tutorials I've watched they are putting them skin out into a tub of borax then putting them on a stretcher for only 20-30 minutes then turn them fur side out and finish stretching. I've used salt on the areas that seem to dry the slowest but I have them skin out for about twelve hours or so. The borax deal seems like alot quicker and easier. Also can you use borax to brighten the fur itself? I've heard something about that. I think I need a borax lesson from you guys. Maybe a whole fur putting up tutorial. Jesus, I'm just a mess. :oops: :lol:
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

EO - LOL you sound like your egg got scrambled :lol: :lol: The cheapest borax i have found, can be purchased in Wal-Mart in there laundry detergent section. It i called Mule Team 20 if my memory recalls me correctly. I will pm you a link from another site that goes from the begginning to the end on bobcat put up in detail. Yes you can put borax on the outside of your fur. Use it very liberaly and rub it into the fur. After you are done rubbing it into all the main parts of the fur, pull the pelt out and give a few quick snaps and shakes to get the excess out of the fur. Grab a fine tooth comb and brush all the fur both directions to loosen up any more that could be in the pelt. Snap and shake the pelt a few more times and you are good to go!! Put the borax on the fur, after it has dried. This will put a nice shine on the fur for you.

I can't see the legs on your cats real well, but for the "nevada style" that i reffered to, you will want to make your cut where the white fur meets the brown fur along the legs. This way when you pin the inside of the legs together, it looks like a countinous long white belly. If i had a cat to do, i would make a quick video, but cats and minnesota dont go hand in hand in my area :cry:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I forgot to add that you don't want to be inhaling a lot of that borax!! That stuff can be nasty to the lungs if you are exposed to it over long periods of time. If you want to go another route to make that fur pop, let me know and we can talk about using compressed air (learned this one from blaine eddy's video skinning for profit)
Chris Lyon

EO caller

Post by EO caller »

As much as I hate doing it with prices on the rise I told a couple of relatives I would do some control work for them a while back so now I'm kinda obligated I guess. Had some luck this last week. Flat sets with urine and a touch of gland seem to be getting them zapped. The one hung up in the sage brush was on a drag next to a cow trail in a sand blow. The other two were both caught by a back foot on urine post's. I was set back quite a ways and I think it payed off.
McGill Dog.jpg
McGill Dog2.jpg
McGill dog3.jpg
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Nicely done!! Keep stacking them up EO :D
Chris Lyon

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Nice work EO

I've played around with the "neveda stretch" with both coyotes and bobcats. ( I haven't put up enough bobcats to be one to listen to.) But with coyotes you can stretch them long and pin the white side of the legs together to make them look like they have a long white belly also. You can cross the legs but you can end up with some bunching on the hips that looks bad if you don't watch it. I always kept my coyotes front legs just long enough to cover the hole but with cats i haven't figured out if it is better pinned up like the one Chris posted or out to the side hangers work great for this.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
MCSO961B
coyotehunter

Post by MCSO961B »

Nice cat, my buddy got this one opening day 36lbs
Nice cat, my buddy got this one opening day 36lbs
cat.jpg (850 Bytes) Viewed 16889 times
EO caller

Re: EO Kitty trapping 2010/2011/2012

Post by EO caller »

You might remember this tree from the first post on this thread from last year. Same place I caught my first two last year. Nice little female. The Tommy should be there in a week or two I hope.
100_0411-2.jpg
100_0413.jpg
PS/ coyotehunter,,,,Did you notice the two traps in the circle? HUH HUH?
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Look at the spots that thing looks like an ocelot!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Holy polka dot cat!! That thing is a beauty!! So spill the beans, did you release her for future litters or keep it for the cha ching? :D
Chris Lyon

EO caller

Post by EO caller »

$ :lol:
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Now what kinda question is that?? :lol: He's got kids to feed and wife that demands diamonds if he wants to spend all that time on the line! :wink:
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

She strtchd out to almost 40" and had zero titty belly. Couldn't believe it. Very pretty for a puss cat around these parts. :wink:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

wow what a great cat. I would love to see more pics of that one. yep seen the 2 traps. great work.
Coyotes Forever