Barrel Crown

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

kflan22
coyotehunter

Barrel Crown

Post by kflan22 »

Other than shooting groups, what is a good way to know that your barrel crown is in good shape?

I have read articles about using Q tips or Cotton swabs around the crown to see if the cotton catches on any burrs. Are there any other good ways to inspect, other than just a visual look? Sorry if you think this is a dumb question but I *think I may have dinged the end of my barrel on a fence post last weekend and now i'm paranoid about it. I shot it over the hood of my pickup and it seemed to shoot OK considering It was a gusty wind. I'd like to shoot groups on a calm day to see if its REALLY ok but calm days this time of year are tough to come by.

So, sure fire method to inspect a barrel crown anyone? Is the Q tip test sufficient?

thanks
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Barrel Crown

Post by Tim Anderson »

Yes the Q-tip is one way but its not 100%. Best way is just shoot some groups and see what happens or just go and have it touched up by a gun-smith..
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Re: Barrel Crown

Post by barebackjack »

If its dinged up to the point of affecting accuracy, you'll see it. A microscopic blemish is unlikely to affect accuracy in a noticeable way.

The q-tip method will likely give you a "false reading" as it will hang up on the top corners of the lands.