Fur Shed in Downer, MN

Who was the buyer, animal type, average paid?

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Fur Shed in Downer, MN

Post by Fallguy »

Well I sold 6 coyotes to this buyer tonight. This was my first time selling coyotes that I put up myself.

I had a total of 6 coyotes. One was really nice, 4 were what I would call average, and one was rubbed really bad. I did the bad one for my first attempt at putting up fur, so it was for practice, not profit.

The 6 coyotes earned me 168 dollars. He paid me an average of 28 dollars per coyote. He said if I had taken the bad one out and averaged the other five I would be looking at a 32 dollar average about. How do you think that is? I am new at this so any advice would be good.

The fur buyer was very easy to deal with. He was friendly, let me look at the animals in the shop (bobcats, etc.), explained a little about grading, and answered my questions quickly and matter of factly. I was happy to hear that he was pleased with the conditions of the hides. He said they were some of the better taken care of ones he has had this year. I will definetely sell to this buyer again and hope I can give him some business.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

great info, good post. as far as your average, he was just saying that if you bring in 6 more that are all good (not rubbed out), you would be looking at more of a $32 instead of a $26 average. He liked your fur and wants you to come back.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

What the fur buyer is doing is he is buying the lesser grade coyote from you, the money to pay for it comes from youre better furs. The lesser fur may have some value,not much and the buyer may end up takeing a loss on it or break even .In other words he is takeing a risk buying the lesser hide..
What i do is keep the lesser quality hides and sell them seprate at a latter date, you may make a little more for them or even take a loss, its a 50/50 deal.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Ok thanks guys that makes sense. Next time I will have to save those bad hides to sell later.

coyotehunter: that 30 dollar seminar on fur handling was well worth it. The guy thought they looked great! I told him about the class you guys put on.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Cool. I apprceciate it, glad it helped.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I told you that seminar would pay for itself in no time. It's nice being rewarded for hard work and the know how to do it right isn't it. :D

Good work and great post
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have also taken those sect. III hides and got them tanned and sold them on Ebay. Just a few to see if I could make it pay. I did come out ahead but you have to ship them out to get tanned and then ship them again to the end user. I brought my average up $10-$15 but it was more work.
Coyotes Forever
eddy07

Post by eddy07 »

I just sold three coyotes down there and got $15 a yote (whole animal), and 7 coon for $13 a piece,..... He said this is a terrible year for furbuyers because of the prices of beaver, mink, and coyotes,.... for example, last year he said he bought over 2000 mink and this year he is only at 200
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

$15 on the carcass sounds about right. that is not bad for the coon, in the round or did you skin the coon?
Coyotes Forever
eddy07

Post by eddy07 »

thats the carcass price,.... would like to get into skinning and putting up my own furs to make more money but i dont have a heated garage to do that in
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

yep, hard when you have no place to do it. does take some room to put up fur.
Coyotes Forever
Dog Catcher

Post by Dog Catcher »

just sold 4 coyotes and got 45 bucks for them and 1 coon for 18 and 10 weasels for 20 bucks
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Dog catcher

Were those all on the round?
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Is that 45 a piece or for all 4?
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Dog Catcher

Post by Dog Catcher »

ya that was 45 for all 4 of them on the carcass.