10NDCC Coyote Classic 12-14 January 2012

1-day coyote hunting tournament in Dickinson, ND Saturday Jan. 08, 2022. There will be a mandatory rules meeting at 6:00 p.m. Friiday January 7th at the in Dickinson, ND. Blocks will be distributed at that time.
There will be a check in Saturday at 7pm at the hotel parking lot. This hunting tournament is a two-day points series contest with a $100* per team entry fee (see rules for details). 1st 50%, 2nd 30%, 3rd 20%, place finishes will be awarded to the teams with the highest one-day total. Additional prizes to be determined.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

NickNielsen

Re: 10NDCC 12th-14th January 2012

Post by NickNielsen »

I agree and really enjoy hunting Jamie's tournaments. They are very well ran and I know he is experimenting with some rule changes and can't please everyone. I'm sure he will take all this in and make the right choices in the future. I disagree with this rule change and hope everyone posts an opinion on it either way so he has the right resources to make the decision.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I never considered the caliber limitation as a limitation on distance a coyote can be shot. I did it mainly for fur damage, had thought about removing the restriction years ago. A lot of the new varmit bullets these days blow the hell out of them regardless of the caliber. The heavier bullets are good for a lot of wind. I can shoot that .243 WSSM or my .22-6MM as far as I can range a coyote. I know a lot of guys talk about shooting coyotes out past 500 yards but in reality how many do they miss. Everyone would rather call them in closer if possible, but if they come into 500 yards and you have a heavy cross wind that bigger bullet might help you make the shot. How would I put a limitation on how far a coyote could be shot...........my .22-.250 AI can cover some distance. Do I not take the shot if I can make it? How many times have you shot a coyote out of his bed? Give a bark, he stands up and you shoot him. Hell you could whistle and stand him up...........would that be a rule violation because you did not call him in to you? I think any rule is worth discussion. We have changed some things this year and will have changes in the future if it seems fit to do so. If something does not work we are not against making appropriate changes. We will be involved with the NorthWest Nationals in Billings Montana next year.
http://idahovarminthunters.proboards.co ... thread=176
Looks as of right now we will be running at least the Montana leg of the series 2012. Maybe more if things work out. I have been reviewing their rules and others looking for ways we can improve and make our tournaments as competitive as possible. Without losing who we are and keeping it as safe and fair as possible for everyone involved. Its a growing sport and we want to grow with it. As always we want input. Some changes will be for certain hunts only, gives guys some options and we can have a test run without it effecting every tournament right away. The Mandan hunt will see more changes next year, again in hopes of drawing more interest, more money and prizes, and a better hunting experience. Plus keep the costs down as much as possibe. Mainly the travel and hotel costs right now. If we can do just as good a job with one evening check in as we do with two, or eliminate a evening check in..........well there are a lot of advantages in doing so. More to it than just me and brad doing a recharge (which doesn't work by the way). I appreciate all the input.
Coyotes Forever
mortiky
coyotehunter

Post by mortiky »

I to would like to add my 2 cents to the caliber restriction rule. I had a tac driving 25-06 that I would still love to shoot, but I dont because of the rule. I have since purchased a 243, out of respect that I understood that Jamie would like to get a few dollars for the fur, and the fact the these contests are CALLING contests. With that caliber restriction it kind of puts us all on a similar level, with out it, there will always be those that have that long range advantage. I think it's a great rule, one that should stay in place. If you hunt coyotes with a call, the 243 is more than enough, if it isn't, you haven't called him in. I dont want to get into any pissing matches about how big of a hole that this caliber, or that caliber, can put in a pelt. We all know they are all capable of distroying one. I just don't like to see rules, that have been in place for years get changed.(what rule will be next.)
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

a .243 is a legitimate 1000 yard gun...expecially when in a improved or short mag chambering. I just do not see or would have thought this would be a issue. I never had the rule in place for that reason to begin with......something to think about though. I guess, I am surpised that would be the concern for pulling the rule out. I am not aware of another tournament in the country that has the same rule. Other the hunts that have been using my rules over the years. certainly a point of discussion at the next few tournaments. thanks for the input.
Coyotes Forever
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

First off, ive only ever hunted one of the Coyotehunter.net tournaments way back in the way back, so take my opinion for whats its worth being a "non-player". :lol:

I for one am glad to see the caliber restriction go away.

As to whether these are "calling" contests, I only see one called a "calling" contest (Valley City).

One is called a "predator hunt" (Minot).
One is a "memorial coyote hunt" (Williston).
One is a "winter classic", and another is "coyote classic", so on so forth.

I appreciate the idea of the "calling contest", but to attempt to eliminate or hobble those that may be able to kill a coyote at a further distance on the premise it wasnt "called" by limiting caliber is a stretch. How many of you in these contests will pass up a coyote you bump on the way into a stand if he gives you a decent, high percentage shot? After all, you didnt "call" him in. Im betting not many would.

There is a lot more that goes into effectively extending ones range than just the caliber of the rifle one is shooting and there are a lot of guys that can easily take a 6mm out on some pretty long walks.
Last edited by barebackjack on Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

I have to say that I like the .24 cal rule as well and maybe its just my own lousy choice of where to live but around here, there is essentially NOWHERE to practice at those ranges( no dog towns, huge pastures and the longest local range is out to 600yds and 125.00 a year membership) to even become competitive with the fellas that live out in the big country. Pretty soon fellas will show up with 25lb bench guns over the hood of the truck( how ya gonna know?) with 2500.00 US Optics glass and all the dope they need and it will turn into a marksmanship thing is my guess. It definitely slants the odds in favor of the guys that got the range to shoot those distances. If guys like myself and others that attend from a long ways away and already give up a lot to the locals that hunt these areas regularly, its another tough break I guess so I gotta agree with the "its a calling contest" mentality but it still will not stop me from doing my best anyway. Win, lose or draw, I just love the tournament, the hunt and the camaraderie that goes along with it but if the playing field gets too lopsided, whats a guy to do?? I know there are some seriously good shooters on here( I do not count myself among them) and with one .308 shooter and the other a .260 shooter, both professionally trained marksman, its tough to talk yourself into the idea that you could beat them. It just tilts it too much in favor of the guys with trick rifles and glass and the know how to use them for some fellas to be able to compete with....But I wont stop trying. Just my .02. Good luck to you all this year fellas!!!!

Take it easy,

Jaybic
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Ill also add, most of the "claims" of long range kills, especially on the internet, are nothing more than claims. Lots of guys claim they killed this many at 500 and that many at 700, but most I think use the x2 method of range estimation. :wink:

The internets amazing. It turns a 5 lb fish into a 30 lb fish, turns a 200 yard shot into a 600 yard shot, and turns 120 inch bucks into Booners!
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

I'll go with ya on that one BBJ! on the other hand, if that cal restriction is gone, now I got a great reason to build another new hot rod rifle that will compete. Even if I cant "drive" it well enough to hit past 300yds anyway. Who doesnt need a new rifle I ask you?!?!
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Just a thought, Maybe when guys sign up for the tournament, there is a box to check when you submit your entry form that says ".24 or smaller" and another that says "any centerfire" and majority rules. Its the privilege of those that enter by the 01sep deadline(or whatever it is) and no ones opinion should count more that the guys paying entrance fees. guys that dont enter by the deadline let the guys that do, decide for them, like it or not. If its that important to ya, sign up early and make a difference. Maybe a dumb idea but it just popped into my otherwise unoccupied head!

Jaybic
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I really don't think a person is going to be winning any tournaments by shooting every coyote at 600 yards or further. All the tournaments i have been in, you will hear about two or maybe three guys that shot one of their coyotes at a distance further than 500 yards. Heck a couple years ago at the memorial hunt in williston there was such dense fog in some areas you couldn't see 50 yards or better. To top it off bucks came in and registered 15 coyotes. Well he didn't shoot all 15 at 500 yards in a 50 yard visibility! I just don't see a long range shooter winning every tournament because he can shoot at a long distance. It don't matter what caliber you shoot, a poor placed bullet will make a mess.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
singleshot1
coyotehunter

Post by singleshot1 »

I believe some people had a hard time seeing 5 feet on the morning of the second day of the classic last year and it was clear out.... :oops: :oops:
" Do you squeal too...? "
NickNielsen

Post by NickNielsen »

Lyonch, I don't think the rule change disagreement had anything to do with previous calling tournaments. I know our best day couldn't be topped with long range setups. Most coyotes I shoot are under 100 yards. However, the argument is that in future tournaments, it's going to bring the long range shooters to tournaments and even if these guys only shoot one or two at 800 yards, it's an advantage. I guess what i'm saying is rules are rules. I'd rather shoot a long range setup, but have all my money into a last years legal caliber due to the rule as i'm sure many also do. I'm not going to change my setup or the way I hunt but if these are calling tournaments, I don't see any sense in any centerfire. Now if these were leaning towards coyote hunts and getting away from calling only, it may make sense.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

You make some good points nick!! I think that the caliber restriction rule forced several hunters to buy new equipment, and now it is not needed and can definitely leave a sour taste in some people mouths. I know how i would have felt if i had to. I think with the price of pelts this season there should be some serious considerations made to not shoot the hell out of these pelts. Hindsight is always 20/20 and if i was in coyotehunters shoes and saw some a-hole bring in coyotes that he shot an extra couple times because of a rule change, well i would have called out the "you get your money back for being an allround asshole" rule and asked them to leave. I like the .24 caliber rule myself, but i am a bit biased since i have a .22-250 LOL.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

lyonch wrote:I really don't think a person is going to be winning any tournaments by shooting every coyote at 600 yards or further. All the tournaments i have been in, you will hear about two or maybe three guys that shot one of their coyotes at a distance further than 500 yards.
I think this is spot on.

There might a few long distance kills made, but the stars would REALLY have to align for a long distance shooter to be able to win one of these hunts (or even regularly place) with long range kills. Especially considering most of the coyotehunter.net hunts require half a dozen or more animals to be competitive.

Most of the guys I know that are capable of long range shooting, only use it as a last ditch effort. I know id take a coyote at 100 yards any day of the week versus one at 500+ and im always going to try to get as close as possible, as most guys do. In fact, ive been TRYING purposefully to tap one beyond 600 yards with my new rifle this year, havent even had a shot beyond 400 yards!

Obscene shots in the real world, in the field, are just not as easy, or as common as most internet people make it out to be. Just look at how many days in ND we have conditions suitable for a high degree of accuracy at long range, not to terrible many the way the wind blows here.

Caliber restriction or not, I think the serious callers are still going to dominant these hunts. Long range guys may sneak in a placing now and than but I dont think it will be a regular occurance.
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

I don't have a dog in this fight, nor is it likely I'll ever have the time to make many of the tournaments.

I have to agree with CH on this one. A well tuned 22 or 6mm gives up little to nothing to the larger calibers until you get way the hell out there. I've consistently broken clay pigeons at 600 yds with my 22-243's. A 300 mag would only have a significant advantage if you needed the killing power that comes along with it. For coyotes you don't. I know many people that hunt coyotes with larger calibers not because it holds any advantage, but because it's the only rifle they own. The rule change may help bring a few more people out for the hunts. That's a good thing.

Just my 2 cents.