anyone shooting the 70gr nosler BTs?

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

coyotebuster
coyotehunter

anyone shooting the 70gr nosler BTs?

Post by coyotebuster »

currently shooting 85gr BTHPs out of my .243 with fairly little pelt damage and good accuracy but I'd like to try something that shoots a little flatter. Let me know what kind of experience you've had with these bullets. Thanks
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: anyone shooting the 70gr nosler BTs?

Post by bucksnbears »

70 sierra blitzkings are what i shoot outta my 243. probably about the same as a bt but i just favor sierra bullets.
pelt damage is hit/miss.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

Could always try some of the Hornady 75g HP's.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

I can't comment how they are on fur. Never shot a coyote with one. Went through a few thousand of them on prarie dogs and just messin around. If your rifle has a long throat, you'll get closer to the rifling with a Nosler than a Sierra Blitz King. The Sierra has a longer boattail and a different ogive than the Noslers. I can get the Noslers into the rifling on my 6br, but can't with the Sierra's. It may or may not have an effect on acurracy in your rifle.

lead
coyotebuster
coyotehunter

Post by coyotebuster »

picked up a box of them a while ago and just haven't had the time to mess with em. I'll probably work up a load this summer and try them out on some beautiful MN coyotes :). My current load certainly isn't too hot so I'll probably mess around with that a little, maybe give it a little more zip and hopefully still retain accuracy.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Ive got a bunch loaded.Extremely accurate but only one coyote with them.So-so on pelt damage on that one.I'm shooting up all my 55 Bts first.Only about 100 left. :D(i'd never leave the 55s if fur wasn't so valuable)
I can tell you what 70 gr not to shoot unless you like cutting em in half-Speer hollow points. :shock:
I suspect the 70 gr Bts are gonna be as good as the 243 gets re pelt damage.We'll see soon.
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

I have shot 70g. ballistic for a long time and am happy with them. Had very little fur damage. I run them right at 3500fps. with 41grs. of Varget. Shoots extremely well. They go in and hardly ever have an exit hole.
kflan22
coyotehunter

Post by kflan22 »

Jerry Hunsley wrote:I have shot 70g. ballistic for a long time and am happy with them. Had very little fur damage. I run them right at 3500fps. with 41grs. of Varget. Shoots extremely well. They go in and hardly ever have an exit hole.
THANK YOU Jerry Hunsley!

I tried this load in my 243 last week and stacked 5 shots nearly on top of each other and it chronoed at 3499 fps average.

It's always fun when that happens...
coyotebuster
coyotehunter

Post by coyotebuster »

So I finally got a chance to mess around with the 70gr noslers a bit. Got them shooting great at 3400 fps so went out and shot some coyotes. Shot five coyotes, blew big ass holes in four of them. Maybe just had bad luck with hitting bone? Think I'm gonna have to switch back to the sierra 85s, not quite as flat shooting as the 70s but damn nice on the fur.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

have you tried them at a slower velocity? my .243 I shoot 100 gr. BTSP Sierra with great results at 3050 fps
coyotebuster
coyotehunter

Post by coyotebuster »

No haven't tried them any slower, main goal with the 70s was to hopefully find a load that shoots quite a bit flatter than the 85s, allowing me to extend my max point blank range. What powder and how many grains are you loading to get that velocity with 100 gr. bullets? I'm loading 43 grains of H4350 and getting about the exact same velocity with the 85s as you are with the 100s.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

That is at 850 above sea level as well. The federal premium 100 gr. BTSP will shoot 2950 fps. I believe the load I shoot is H1000.....I will have to check that load when I get home. I want to say 47 gr. H1000 is the load.