Training

Got a question about mans best friend? health, training, diet,...we will do our best to get you going in the right direction. Post pics of your dogs at work or play.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Re: Training

Post by rodeorulz »

My father-in-law and husband have RARELY had any problems with the ones they keep around. Probably mostly to my FIL doing a very good job at picking the good ones and checking out their bloodlines, success, etc. The few that don't cut it have been sent to Iowa (or that area) and do wonders on coons. I think it is more what a person wants that anything. I can't believe how few people out here use hounds. We use ours for decoying, denning, trailing...on coyotes and have occasionally been used on mountain lions.
Maybe that's why people don't want to try them...too worried that they're going to use their nose for what its suppose to be used for? Or maybe it's because most of Wyoming doesn't really have many good bluetick bloodlines??
As far as size goes...in my opinion that's a load...the one my husband is running is plenty big...he's like a dang horse!! and his size has never ever been a problem for my husband or FIL. He's technically 1/2 Bluetick 1/2 English (Redtick). Then on the other side of size my FIL has a rather small/dainty female that is tougher than nails and will munch all she can (loves to munch coyote pups when she finds dens!!) and been whooped plenty but still goes back for more :D

Sorry for the rant...I just don't understand why people don't give hounds a shot and are stuck on Dorns and Currs (for example only).

And to clarify my FIL has been through hounds like crazy between running coons/coyotes in Iowa and Wyoming with walkers and blueticks (and who knows what else!). So he does know his hounds :) He's only been using them for oh I'd guess at least 35 years :D

Tim - I'd also have to disagree...a dog is not a dog. You can probably get by with one that's not really made for something but why not just get what works best or is made for the work you want to do? I mean I certainly wouldn't buy a Lhasa Apso to herd cattle or a St. Bernard to den with! lol

Good luck with your Red Bone! I saw the picture you posted and she sure is pretty :)
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Tim - I'd also have to disagree...a dog is not a dog.

I'll clarify.. As far as training them (conditioning) its all the same basicly, some train easier than others or take a little longer to achieve what you want from them.. As for decoying some breeds just take to it more natral than others just like some bird dogs take to hunting/pointing birds..
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

Thanks for the clarification :) I agree more now
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I grew up with hounds. We had 16 at one time. Lots of guys use hounds out here. Not sure were you got that no one is using them?
Coyotes Forever
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

Well I should say you hardly ever hear anybody talking about them. It seems everyone talks about Dorns and Currs...etc. At least when it comes to using them on coyotes. Lots of people I know use them on cats out here, mostly walkers though.
Glad to hear there are some more out here in WY :)
What breed are you using Coyotehunter?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I had a red bone, walker, cur cross, that got poisoned last year. Long story. A cur is a hound, that our widely used for coon and lions throught out North America. A dorn dog is a well bred mutt that had hound breed into it, used specifically for coytes. developed in Wyoming 60+ years ago.
Coyotes Forever
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

Yes I guess when I think of hounds I don't think of Curs is all. I think of Blueticks, Walkers, Red Bones, English/Redticks...Beagles ;) ...
Sorry to hear about your dog getting poisoned!
Yes I know the TRUE Dorn dogs do have some hound in them but yah they are suppose to be a "well bred" mutt. It seems like some people have bred the hound out of them anymore though... :(
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Get ahold of Scot Huber from Kadoka S.D. He has two cur dogs he wants to sell. They will be good ones.
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Jerry I have one male Mt Cur left for sale that has your name on it. My female had a litter of 5 but only have the one male left.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

There you are. I am going to be out of the dog picture after Wiley is gone. I can't justify having another one and spending all the time it takes to make a good dog. Thanks Daryl for thinking of me.
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Kinda thought that's what you would say haha I believe that you had told me that once before. But I had to try..
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
AK Roy
coyotehunter

Post by AK Roy »

I really like my mt curs for decoy work,hounds can be a problem in wolf country.