Discussion and input of the "better" of Made in China Scopes

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

XR680R
coyotehunter

Discussion and input of the "better" of Made in China Scopes

Post by XR680R »

I first desired to "think about buying" a Hawke Scope from looking through one at the range, it was a Sidewinder Tactical 8.5-25X42 and it was clearly better then the Mueller or the Millet that I have, near the quality of any of my Burris! So, I decided to buy a Hawke scope for a coyote rig and dew to the fact that it was $100 off from the Wal-mart price - being a demo, I decided to go for it.
I got this scope from SCOPESTOP.COM and I decided comparing it to the Mueller 8.5-25x50. The Hawke reticle I choose for the 8-32X56 Sidewinder was the SR12 after checking out the software I got from the Hawke website. The scope came used not as a "As New" demo as stated. It had ring marks from being mounted and light scuff marks from being handled but, that is the chance I took in buying from the internet.
Well the Mueller I got a couple years ago seems to be super clear for Chinese made and Hawke claims to be Europe engineered with Japanese glass but, the scope is made in China. I used bugs, grass, reflective surface, high contrast in all three direction in relation to the sun. The Mueller seems much clearer but, once I put the sun shade on the Hawke it got closer to the Mueller in sharpness and once the sun was setting both scopes were about just as sharp (Testing both at 25 power). It seem that the 56mm objective lens on the Hawke pulls in so much light it makes it hard to see how clear the glass can be. I then tested the scope @ 200 yards with the ISO 12233 optics chart on 8X14 legal letter size premium paper printed @ 1200X1200 DPI. Once again the Mueller seemed clearer @ 25 power then the Hawke @ 25 power but, I could see the same amount of lines of resolution from both scopes. The resolution did not get any better and maybe a tad worse when the Hawke went to 32 power. Edge Sharpness is not as good as the Mueller. The one inch wagon wheel at that distance was noticeable but, it seemed to only have four legs with a dot in the middle @ 200 yards for both scopes and with the Hawke at 32 power it just zoomed in with only the same detail being apparent. Without a doubt the color seems washed out in the Hawke and is vivid in the Mueller. I would say this Hawke scope is inferior to the Millet 4-16X50 once past the same magnification of 16 power. I have seen better MIllet glass then the one I have and I have seen worse. Millet has been all over the scale on quality glass in my opinion. It seems I am getting the idea that this is normal when dealing with scopes made in China. On the Hawke scope this is claimed to be Japanese glass, it surely does not live up to this in the scope I bought.
For a much better Glass but, at $850 I would have gone with the Sightron SIII Long Range 8-32x56 Scope with Side Focus as I have the Sightron SIIISS10-50X60 LRMD and it is mind blowing crystal clear. I would say it is the same or better then any of my Burris scopes or Leopold and much better then my Nikon glass.
I do not think every Mueller is as good as mine and I would guess most Hawke scopes are as good and could be better then my friends was at the range. I would imagine my Hawke is the lower of what they put out and is good for Chinese but, if someone is going to buy, China, I would think it would be to get something that is close to or very near to the same product for a great savings in money. I do have Burris, Leopold, Nikon but, can not afford to have these on every rig so, I do have one Millet, Mueller, Sightron and now a Hawke looking to see if money can be saved and still get quality sharp glass with a repeatable scope. I feel I got lucky with the Mueller, the Millet is worth what I paid for it and like I said, the Sightron is amazing! The Hawke I have still needs to be tested at the range for the, “box test” and repeatability and I will do those tests. At this point I did not save any money on this scope and I do not think I got what I paid for at this time. Being fair, I have seen much better when it comes to Hawke scopes.
XR680R
coyotehunter

Re: Discussion and input of the "better" of Made in China Sc

Post by XR680R »

Today we took the scope out mounted on a rig that has scored a .241 MOA this year. It function mechanically almost to perfection. We even shot a 1.981 four round group @ 380 yards!! Now for the rest of the story.
We stayed with made in China scopes to compare this Hawke 8-32X56 SIdewinder scope with in all aspects and for the box test and extreme back to zero test I would say it was right at the top of the scopes. We used a Millet, Nikon Pro-Staff and a Mueller. The Mueller and Nikon were close to the same in Resolution with the Millet coming in next. All were able to see the .223 bullet holes @ 300 yards. The Hawke scope could not. We tried everything to try to get the focus perfect but, in the end this scope just is not close to what I have seen from the other Hawke Sidewinder Tactical. At 380 yards all other scopes could see a yellow one inch square inside a red two inch square. The Hawke scope could only make out a two inch orange square