“How to kill coyotes without having a clue”??

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
RShaw

Re: “How to kill coyotes without having a clue”??

Post by RShaw »

About half of my hunting is done calling cold. In this situation, most scouting is looking for turds and tracks on the ranch road. Being able to recognize good coyote structure and putting that together with the weather conditions is very important.
As Coyotehunter said, no amount of gadgets will replace time in the field.

Randy
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

There is certainly a time and a place where going through the extra stuff might be worth it. Example: I might put more time into sneeking in, wearing more camo, using some off the wall sound from an electronic caller when chasing a sheep killing older coyote just because it might have seen a few bad stands. Most guys out just trying to kill a coyote or two just need to find them and pay attention to how they set up and shoot straight.

Good example was this morning i had located an old dog with three pups that had been killing the pups started to come when the old dog called them bag and gave me the berries i listened to him for probably five minutes. I then drove three miles around snuck up a hill to see if i could get him to pop his head up and he was beded 150yds away bang flop= happy rancher. ( I did not pinpoint him that close hearing him from three miles it was just that long to drive around, he was howling from 3/4 mile to a mile away)
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
NightYotey
coyotehunter

Post by NightYotey »

Im new to coyote hunting...so new in fact I've never done it. Any advice for a novice coyote hunter in Minot, North Dakota? Also...can you hunt coyote at night in North Dakota? Any laws against it? I have a Generation 3A Night Vision Scope mounted on my Remington 700 VTR .308 rifle. I planned on using it if I'm able to find land to hunt on. Here is a pic...tell me what you think?!
rsz_2dscn1450.jpg
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

that is some set up. lots of info and posts for new guys on hunting coyotes. Take some time and read some of the existing threads.
Coyotes Forever
NightYotey
coyotehunter

Post by NightYotey »

Thanks for everyones help ! Im going to test out my skills this weekend in Ruso, ND ! I have a friend going to film it so I will let everyone know how it goes.
Truckfullofur
coyotehunter

Post by Truckfullofur »

Posts like this is exactly why I joined. Nice job.
Moon
coyotehunter

Post by Moon »

The water is getting clearer...Good advice, that will be applied. As time goes by ,it seems as though my thirst for coyote knowledge will never be quenched....and this refreshing link(drink?) made me even more thirsty. Thanks
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

That was very good Jamie. If you remember when I gave my little speech at the classic a few years ago, I started out by saying: The things that I want to talk about are based solely on my experiences over the years. Your best teacher is yourself and you get what you put into it. Sure you can read and watch all the video , but until you actually get out in the field and make all the mistakes, then you become better . This site has a lot of good information for beginners and hard core hunters. You take that to the field and try to incorporate that into your calling. Some things work for you and some don't. Take howling for instance. I hear people say they never have any luck and then they just give up on it. Having confidence is a big factor. I learned long ago to just do my thing and try different tactics. Then I just put all of that in my head and built a pretty good data base for future use. I still try different things with mixed results.
There's nothing worse that pisses me off than some guy that calls a few coyotes and then he is an expert. Next thing you know he is writing for a magazine and relating his experiences with someone else with a name. You"all know what I'm talking about. Most good callers can pick them type people out.
I know for a fact that this site has a lot of knowledgeable callers on hear and a beginner can pick up some information here. Don't always believe what you read in magazines. Just get out there and Put some time and miles in. Experience is your best teacher. Your success depends on how much time you want to spend in field. Success for one person might be a lot different from another person. By now means am I saying that I am an expert. I am just a guy who took his sport pretty serious through the years. Kinda downhill for me now, but still enjoy getting out with friends or a buddy.
justin_n_IL
coyotehunter

Post by justin_n_IL »

Spot on Coyotehunter. Location location location. They gotta be there and you must set up correctly...location location location :D
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

glad you enjoyed this thread. one of my favorites, lots of great info shared here.
mike b0070
coyotehunter

Post by mike b0070 »

When I was 16 I had all the answers, now that I am 72 I have all the questions and very few answers! Still learning every day.
You can always tell when a lawyer lies his lip's move