NEW hunter Here need advise

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
Navyretired
coyotehunter

NEW hunter Here need advise

Post by Navyretired »

I live in the MT'S of western NC Lost a little buddy to cayotes the other day. Need to put them down. any help would be great. I know where they are I think. Thanks
Barry
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: NEW hunter Here need advise

Post by Prairie Ghost »

the cheapest start to your problem would be a $11 critr call standard and a decent shooting centerfire rifle. Wind in the face, call every 4-5 minutes for 30 seconds, stay on stand 25 minutes and shoot the coyotes that come in. Read through the old posts here there is a wealth of knowledge for those that are willing to look through it all
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Navyretired
coyotehunter

Post by Navyretired »

Thanks for advise.
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

Welcome and good luck! :D
"God hates a coward"
lvhiker711
coyotehunter

Post by lvhiker711 »

Sorry Barry, I cannot help you as I am a novice as well and also have a question.

I got my first coyote about a month ago. I dried it with salt and then put it in a bucket with warm soapy water to clean it. After doing so, the pelt lost some of its fur especially on the tail. Was it just the time of year or was it due to the bath I gave it? If so, how else would I clean it? Thank you and good luck Barry.
lvhiker711
coyotehunter

Post by lvhiker711 »

I guess I should mention that I am in Nevada and the temps were/are getting warm.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I use cold water and woolite. IF I wash them at all, which I usely do not. I have used a washing machine and dryer as well and that works fine.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

What are you planning on doing with hides? If you are planning on selling them don't salt them! If you are going to salt them for taxidermy or tanning make sure that you shake them out and resalt them on day two and then shake it out real good again after it's totally dry. The salt attracts moisture so you need to keep on it.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

you need to make sure you split the tail all the way to the tip . If the tail isn't opened all the way to the tip, the meat will rot and fur will slip.
lvhiker711
coyotehunter

Post by lvhiker711 »

Thank you!