Suburban Coyotes

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
teleskiwasatch
coyotehunter

Suburban Coyotes

Post by teleskiwasatch »

Hello everyone. I live in a mountainous but semi-populated area east of Salt Lake City. Mostly scrub oak. Lots of 'em up here, no doubt about that. See 'em. Here 'em. Regularly. I'm sure they find plenty to eat...including having had a run at both of my dogs...with vet bills to show for it. With the $50 Utah bounty I'm looking to recoup some of those vet bills. That being said, I'm not really into hunting. Got nothing against it, but it's mainly a matter of money/revenge/coyote genocide at this point. $50/head is not bad. A hundred dead ones would cover the vet bills.

Now, should mention that I'm sure the yote herd is pretty fat and healthy up here because rifle hunting is not allowed (even though I could prolly get away with it onec in awhile). Silencer anyone?

I've read a lot about calling, stalking, stands, waiting...etc. That's mostly "rifle centric" which won't work up here. I'm prolly doomed to failure (OK, I admit it) but I've always been one to look for (and occasionally find) ways of having my cake and eating it too. There's a ton of 'em up here! They are ripe for the picking. And I figure they are not too wise, at least not yet, owing to their "protected" status.

From where I live I could pretty much just pop 'em out my back door...preferably with a cocktail in my grunderwear. Now we are talking. I'm just looking for a relatively simple, efficient, and cost effective means of "mass production coyotecide". I need something easy, reliable and repeatable. Kinda like the old "punt" boats they used to hunt ducks with! Why can't I just set up a bunch of traps, bait them, and then check on 'em once in awhile? The area immediately around my house is mostly scrub oak and public land so I have plenty of room for this type of activity.

Better yet, what about a big pen (like a dog run type of thing) with a trap door and lots of bait? One a week for 52 weeks would be a good start. I'm pretty good at design/build. How about a Bate's Motel for coyotes?

So, there you have it. Whaddy think? Any hope? Any suggestion? They are ripe for the picking. The guy from Alaska says trapping is the way to go. Seems like a good idea under the circumstances. Keep in mind these are suburban coyotes..."street coyotes" if you will. Special weapons and tactics required! I can't let the gun ban get in my way. Looking for/needing "out of the box" solutions.

Thanks in advance for your ideas on thinning the population and fattenting my wallet in this suburban area.

Tele
Red Fox
coyotehunter

Re: Suburban Coyotes

Post by Red Fox »

Contact your state trappers association. You may find a local trapper in the area to help you out.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

contact your state APHIS Wildlife Services office. they should be able to give you a hand as well. Sounds like you may be over head a bit. I would not try anything without consulting your local game warden if you are that close to a populated area.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I would double check your sources on the bounty. I don't believe that Utah is paying a $50 dollar bounty on coyotes right now. Keep in mind that discharging a weapon in a populated area without permission is a felony is some states which would make your vet bills the least of you problems. Contact APHIS/Wildlife services they should be able to help the most with your problem.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

When I was at gunning school they said the there was a fifty dollar bounty in that county. Not sure if it is state wide.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I'd keep my head tucked low in that county when the snow flies!!! :shock: :shock:
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!