bipods

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

harks_69

bipods

Post by harks_69 »

Looking at adding a bipod to my rifle, just wondering if anyone had some advice on brands, sizes and just some general reviews.
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Harris I feel is by far the best but Shooters Ridge makes one that is almost identical to the Harris and they to have been good to me. Size all depends on if you sit alot or lay down. I prefer the three position that goes from approx 14 inches to 30 inches. Just my 2 cents.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Ditto here Daryl!! I use a Harris bipod that has unlimited settins to it with three main set points. I highly suggest getting one that can go from a sitting position to a prone position. It makes for a lot of versatility. I have had it already where i am hunting such a steep hill that i had the bipod all the way out and could have went to the prone position to shoot. Just me 2 cents 2.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I have the Shooters Ridge bipod like Daryl is talking about. It telescopes twice for a total of 3 sections. It is good for laying prone or sitting on a hillside. And it pivots.

However next time I will pay the extra 30 bucks and get a Harris. The shooters ridge has been a constant fix-me-up since I bought it. The nuts worked loose on the legs and I had to reconnect the spring and put a new nut on. Even then i have to retighten it before every hunt because it keeps working loose. Then a pin from one of the "locks" fell out so when I pull the leg out it won't stay extended. I have to twist the knob at every stand so it stays extended. Anyone know if you can get an extra pin for that extension lock. (Sorry I don't know the technical names for the parts).
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

I have a shooter's ridge too. I like it when I use it. I sit on a small stool so it isn't tall enough. If I sit on the ground it works fine. I am not too fond of sitting in the snow on a -10 below day. If I bought one again it would be a Harris and one that would extend more inches
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Harris all they way! Thats all I got to say, the little extra in $ is worth the quality
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
littlebigenuf
coyotehunter

Post by littlebigenuf »

I have a short barrel on my rifle and couldn't put a long enough bipod on because it would extend in front of the barrel so I just went to telescoping shooting sticks which I love more than I ever did with the bipod.
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

I have a Stony point and it is the best one I have tried. I liked the Harris bi-pods, but what I found is they aren't long enough when you sit on a steep hill. I'm talking about real steep hills. Most people would be happy with Harris. My Stony point telescopes out and locks where every you want and you can adjust each leg to the contour of the land. It is a tri-pod. on the one leg I have added an extra rest so I can shoot prone if I have to. Another feature that I really like , you can extend way out and I use it as a cane. As crippled up as I am, it is a real asset.
harks_69

Post by harks_69 »

Thanks guys, looks like harris takes the cake. Pretty much what i expected. I have been using shooting sticks for the past couple years but i prefer to shoot prone so they arent as useful there. Hopefully get some extra $ for x-mas so i can get that on before dickinson! Got 1st dog of the year yesterday! Nice little spot and stalk on the way to our first set, but of course nothing the rest of the day.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Harris 25-S the only thing i shoot off period
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

This is my 1st year shooting off a Harris and I will never go back to anything else. they are really handy to use and is the right height for me.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I guess i bought a harris off that bat right of way and never shot anyting else. After seeing levi struggle a little last year with the gun not fitting the proper height for him on those hills i was sure glad i got the one that i did.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
harks_69

Post by harks_69 »

Thanks guys, i ended up taking your advice and bying the harris. Seemed like the right thing to do, Thank god for christmas, and christmas money! Now i will need a new excuse if i miss one out in dickinson, LOL :mrgreen:
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I don't use bipods much any more, either E.L.K. shooting sticks or free hand off the knees.. T.A.
coyotehunter

Post by 5.56 »

I have Shooters Ridge on both my .223 bolt action, as well as my 5.56 AR.
I too had heard tales of the nuts working loose so once they were installed, I used 'Loctite', as I did on my scope hardware. Works Great!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington