Oil in barrel

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

kflan22
coyotehunter

Oil in barrel

Post by kflan22 »

A patch with oil followed by a dry patch is the typical method when oiling a barrel. I know for a fact that I have forgot to push a dry patch through before heading to the range, probably more than once.

Have I harmed my rifles?

There are so many varying opinions on this subject that have me confused. I personally dont see any problem with having a coat of oil in a barrel other than the rifle may need a couple fouling shots. Now, a dripping wet barrel would be different.

What do you think? Will 1 patch with some oil on it bulge a barrel or damage it otherwise?

My rifles all still shoot straight.
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Re: Oil in barrel

Post by leadbiscuit »

A THIN film of oil shouldn't hurt a thing. It may shoot like shit until the bore is shot clean, I can't say for sure. As we all know, fluids do not compress. Too much of any liquid in the bore or chamber could cause a very bad day.

I've read that some benchrest shooters intentionally keep their bore wet during break in. I'm not suggesting it's a good idea, just sayin' I've heard of guys doing it that way.

I would suggest doing your level best to remember to patch out any oil before firing.

If your rifles still shoot, you obviously haven't bulged the barrels.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Some BR shooters will run a patch of bore solvent down a barrel and leave it, but not oil.. Big difference in the two.. Oil in a barrel can raise pressures and if shooting a max or close to max load like mentioned it could be trouble.. Also oil left in a barrel and then fired will cause carbon build up which you don't want either.. When a new barrel is broke in you want to use a clean barrel and bullets with out any type of bullet treatment like moly.. Reason being is you want the clean bullets to help smooth out the rough edges in the barrel (tooling marks) to help prevent or reduve copper fowling..

Like also mentioned clean the barrel before you shoot, better safe than sorry as they say...

Edit to add: Now if its a shotgun or a muzzle loader or any other weapon thats shooting lead bullets or a wad then a light oiling of the barrel would'nt hurt and is recomended for some weapons..
kflan22
coyotehunter

Post by kflan22 »

Thanks for the info guys. I don't make a habit of putting oil inside my barrels but I know I've done it before when I don't plan on using a particular rifle for a while. Its probably more of a hypothetical situation but even so, I get paranoid about stuff like this especially when there are contrasting opinions on the subject. For example, Pac-Nor recommends on their website to "Never shoot with a dry bore" referring to oil. I assume they mean after cleaning of course but then you have Kreiger, Douglas, etc who say to dry the bore before shooting. Bottom line I suppose is to just use a little common sense.

Have a good one,

KF
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Good Posts, Great discussion.
Coyotes Forever