Going to buy an AR. What should I get

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

PackerBacker12
coyotehunter

Going to buy an AR. What should I get

Post by PackerBacker12 »

Im going to buy an Ar. Been looking into either DPMS or Rock River Arms. What are your guyses thoughts? Pretty sure I am going to get a .223 caliber. Any thoughts on lenght of barrel or anything else I need to look into for shooting coyotes at a max range of 300- 400 yards?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Going to buy an AR. What should I get

Post by Coyotehunter »

I would certainly consider the .204 DPMS 24" bull barrel
Coyotes Forever
labatt1999
coyotehunter

Post by labatt1999 »

A 24" bull barrel is pretty heavy. An AR with a 24" bull barrel is going to weight about 10 pounds. An important consideration if you're going to be walking a long distance with it. The longer barrels add a bit more velocity which theoretically gives greater accuracy but the weight can be excessive. DPMS makes good rifles though.

I'd look at 5.56. The rounds are pretty cheap (about .30 per round for the cheap stuff) you can use either 5.56 or .223, .223 is a pretty common round and can be found just about everywhere (surplus 5.56 can be pretty cheap also), the ballistics are pretty good out to about 600 yards, and you have a pretty good range of bullets depending on your twist rate.

The AR platform is pretty versatile so once you get your lower you can get different uppers. If you like you can get both .204 and .223/5.56

The .204 is a pretty awesome round but it's not as common and tends to still be a bit pricey. Just my opinion though.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

The weight for me is not an issue. I lug a gun around more than most and I would rather have the benefits of the heavier gun. A few pounds one way or another just is not an issue. I do my own reloading so the cost of the ammo per round is not significant. I have a .223 Prairie panther DPMS and recently had the .204 bull sent to me. I just believe that the .204 is a better all around caliber than the .223 on any platform.
Coyotes Forever
woody
coyotehunter

Post by woody »

My opinion is to build one yourself.

Buy the parts on-line or from a local dealer or gun show.

You can build one exactly as you want it for less than buying one.

You will get the satisfaction of building it yourself, save money and know that weapon intimately.

my two cent's worth.

woody
Scot
coyotehunter

Post by Scot »

I purchased a Rock River Coyote Carbine. Its a nice lightweight rifle and extremely accurate. It will consistently cut 1/2" to 3'4" groups @ 100 yards with several hand loads. You won't be disappointed with a Rock River AR. Stay away from the heavy barreled AR's...they are a pain to tote around after awhile and any increase in velocity is mute. My hunting buddy borrowed my Rock River carbine for an afternoon hunting recently and shot a coyote at 312 yards measured with my rangefinder. The scope is a 3x9 Leupold.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

What caliber do you have that in?
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Real tough to beat the Panthers by DPMS i would probably go with the 204 over the 223 myself i shot a bolt action 204 for a few years and tipped over a pile of coyotes with it.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!