Thompson/Center Venture Predator

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

GMpower191
coyotehunter

Thompson/Center Venture Predator

Post by GMpower191 »

I am looking at purchasing theThompson/Center Venture Predator rifle, I am undecided tho if i want to go with the .223 Rem or the .22-250 Rem for coyotes. Has anyone ever hunted with this rifle? and what caliber would be the best? They also offer a .204 Rug and a .308 winchester in this gun.
NickNielsen

Re: Thompson/Center Venture Predator

Post by NickNielsen »

All will work just fine with good shot placement. 223 is cheapest to shoot. 22-250 or 243 is the choice by most serious coyote hunters.
kflan22
coyotehunter

Post by kflan22 »

I had a t/c venture in 223, it was a good shooter and build solid.

If I'm gonna have only 1 of the three cartriges you listed it would be a 223. If you are gonna have multiple varmint rifles then sure the 204 or 250 would fill the gaps nicely but if I'm gonna have one varmint rifle, its a 223.
GMpower191
coyotehunter

Post by GMpower191 »

Thanks, I think im gunna go with the .223
NickNielsen

Post by NickNielsen »

Just curious kflan, why would you choose 223 over the other 2, we are talking for coyotes right?
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Good question N-N.. I would go with the 22-250 or 243, why limit yourself with the 223......
kflan22
coyotehunter

Post by kflan22 »

NickNielsen wrote:Just curious kflan, why would you choose 223 over the other 2, we are talking for coyotes right?
Tim Anderson wrote:Good question N-N.. I would go with the 22-250 or 243, why limit yourself with the 223......
Since he asked about 3 varmint calibers(and mentioned a 308) I thought he probably didn't own any of them-a fair assumption. If I was going to have 1 of the 3 it would be a 223, a no brainer for me personally. I never said the 223 was the best coyote killer, its just the one I'd pick out of the 3 he mentioned. Stupid long barrel life, less muzzle blast, cheap to load, cheap to buy factory ammo for, and I've never felt under-gunned out to 300 yards with a 223. Anything farther than that and I need a little luck on my side to hit anyway, no matter what I'm shooting.

Having owned three 22-250's I can say that they are a great cartridge. That is something that isn't even debatable but I'd rather first own something smaller like a 204-222-223 then for a second rifle I'd step past the 22-250 for a 243 or 25-06.

Like Nick said, they will all kill coyotes.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Stupid long barrel life, less muzzle blast, cheap to load, cheap to buy factory ammo for, and I've never felt under-gunned out to 300 yards with a 223.
Good points and would of carried some weight before Clinton got in office.. Most guys on avr. don't shoot a gun enough to wear out a barrel as most can't afford to buy ammo and some just don't shoot a gun that often.. muzzle blast from a 223 or 22-250 is'nt much of a difference there, you still need hearing protection and a coyote can't tell the diff.'s.
As for reloading the 2 with primer and bullet cost being the same the only money you save is a few pennies in powder and if thats what saves or breaks a guy then perhaps he would need to seek a cheaper sport. Same canbe said for factory ammo, oh yeah there are a few cheap brands around but remember you get what you pay for and in most cases a var. bullet is used that is ment for shooting P.D..
Having owned three 22-250's I can say that they are a great cartridge. That is something that isn't even debatable but I'd rather first own something smaller like a 204-222-223 then for a second rifle I'd step past the 22-250 for a 243 or 25-06.

Why start out with something on the small side for coyotes and in some cases some guys can only afford one rifle so why not have the better one to start with if you can buy either one for the same price..

Not trying to bust anyones balls here but it just makes better sense..
I've shot coyotes with the most common cartridges available and a few that are wildcats and the last cartridges I would look at for coyotes would be a 223.. Most guys just starting out maynot shoot so hot when they first get out there and it only makes sense to have something a little more powerfull for those shots or hits on the fringes of the kill zone..
I find a 17 rem. to be a better choice than a 223 but I don't recomend it to anyone just starting out till there shooting skills are up to par and can handle the pressure of a coyote sitting in front of them..
Yeah 223"s have killed alot of coyotes over the years and in most cases the shots were under 200 yds and anything farther is a crapshoot at best...