.308 rifles and rounds for coyotes

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

HotDogg

.308 rifles and rounds for coyotes

Post by HotDogg »

I'm thinking of getting a Savage Axis, Ruger American, or a Marlin X7 chambered in .308 for a coyote gun. I wanna know if these rifles are good enough, and what rounds (cheap) should i use for them! Thanks!
Every dog has his day
HotDogg

Re: .308 rifles and rounds for coyotes

Post by HotDogg »

Oh, and I forgot, I'm considering the same rifles in .25-06
Every dog has his day
DPMS Panther Arms
coyotehunter

Post by DPMS Panther Arms »

Hotdogg

Have you considered looking at the AR platform for your yote rifle? The advantage for you with the AR platform is a faster follow up shot(if needed).Less recoil when shooting more then 2 rounds at a running dog. You are able to stay on target a lot easier and never have to move your hand to operate a bolt. More caliber selections on a lower receiver. With the 308 rifle you can put a 243--308/762x51--260--338 Federal top half on the lower and go from there. Along with that you also have the opportunity to have more round count with you in the field just in case --4-10-20 rounds in a mag at a time. I love using my 243 and 308 for yotes and it gets the job done big time. The 243 I run a 90 grain Hornday BSST and the 308 I run a 168 grain BSST. Both rounds are also great on any large game animal in North America. The AR is one of the fastest growing platforms on the market right now and widely used among hunters. Check us out at www.dpmsinc.com
HotDogg

Post by HotDogg »

Oh god, an AR platform? I don't have HALF enough money for a Bushmaster, or the Remington R-25 (Which WOULD be my choice) What do you think of the brand of rifles I threw out there?
Every dog has his day
DPMS Panther Arms
coyotehunter

Post by DPMS Panther Arms »

Nothing wrong with either of those rifles at all. We build the R-25 for Remington and Bushmaster buys their parts for the 308 line of rifles from us. We are all in the same family and take good care of each other when it comes to production of the AR rifle
HotDogg

Post by HotDogg »

DPMS Panther Arms wrote:Nothing wrong with either of those rifles at all. We build the R-25 for Remington and Bushmaster buys their parts for the 308 line of rifles from us. We are all in the same family and take good care of each other when it comes to production of the AR rifle
Unless you or someone in your company GIVES me the R-25, I can't afford one
Every dog has his day