Coyote Hunting Advise In South Dakota or MN

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Hunting Noob
coyotehunter

Coyote Hunting Advise In South Dakota or MN

Post by Hunting Noob »

Hello everyone, im am new to hunting, never hunted before and looking to get into it. I have a high powered rifle which i hand load and developed an accurate round so hitting em wont be a problem but everything else im clueless. Im looking to hunt in South Dakota or Minnesota. Im looking for any advice or tips for a noob, anything and everything will help, from good spots (maybe a particular farmer) to calling techniques or equipment. If you know what your talking about please do share the knowledge.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Coyote Hunting Advise In South Dakota or MN

Post by Tim Anderson »

Coyotes can be found north, south, and west of the twin cities. As for finding places to hunt or call that's up to the hunter as not too many hunters are going to give up there honey holes.
As for S.D, coyotes will be found most anywhere in the state just get out and away from some of the bigger towns on the Eastside of the state.. Good luck...
Hunting Noob
coyotehunter

Post by Hunting Noob »

Thanks Tim, what month would be best to start? And is the State Forest surrounding Red Wing a good spot?
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Any time would be good. In your case I would wait till deer season is over and there is some snow on the ground then you can drive the back roads and look for places the coyotes have crossed the road. Keep notes on where they came from and where they are going as one section could be a feeding area and the other where they bed down for the day (core area). You could also go out at night and do a little locating by just making one or two howls and then wait to see or hear if they howl back (wait about 5 min.). If they howl back keep tabs on from where and go back in the mourning or even make a night stand if you have snow cover and full moon.. Try to locate as many as possible in a given area if you plan to do any calling later on as not all coyotes will respond to a call here in Mn.. S.D the coyotes are more responsive to calling than here.. Good luck..
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

The sooner the better the early fall is a great time to call YOY coyotes.
Hunting Noob
coyotehunter

Post by Hunting Noob »

How bout the hide? Once shot does the Coyote have to be skinned immediately to preserve the hide?
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

The hide peels easier when fresh and if you plan to sell the hide the least you could do is skin the coyote and then roll hide up and place in freezer till time to sell...
Hunter Dan
coyotehunter

Re: Coyote Hunting Advise for MN

Post by Hunter Dan »

Hi all-

Brand new to the forum. After looking around some I couldn't seem to find some good advise for coyotes in MN. I've been out a bunch of times and had one coyote come right to my call the first time AND MISSED! Now I've not seen one since. I've been around the Pine City area hoping I'm far enough from the metro. Do I need to find spots along a river? Rum River? Snake River? Heck, I've seen coyotes twice in my backyard just 15 min north of downtown St. Paul. I know the further north you go, the more likely you are in wolf territory too.

Any thoughts? Central MN? Should I go south rather than north? Frustrating...

Thanks!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Been a few years since I've been up your way, but you should find coyotes on both sides of 35 as far north as Hinckley and west of Mora and even Hill city area. Find sections with plenty of what we call plum brush (young willows), the edge of forest areas, sloughs ,rivers, and meadows..
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

any updates on the coyote hunting?