I know coyotes are in the area, but will not come in!!

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

vmaxcoaxer
coyotehunter

I know coyotes are in the area, but will not come in!!

Post by vmaxcoaxer »

Hey guys,
I am hunting in Brookings South Dakota area! I have been calling quite a few years and know quite a bit about the sport already. However, I could always learn more. So I have a bunch of private ground, and there is a lot of public ground I call on. I call all the time with little success! Every now and then I'll get a yote to come running but a majority of the time I get skunked! I know there are coyotes in the area because there tracks are lousy! Most of the private ground, nobody has permission but me! I feel like the coyotes are educated! I'm originally from Iowa and I hunt back there quite a bit also! I use the same call tactics/sequences as I do here and I have much more success back home! Any ideas on what I can do differently or how I can trick these yotes??

Thanks,
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: I know coyotes are in the area, but will not come in!!

Post by Tim Anderson »

I travel through your area often, there is some calling pressure but not enough to stop them from coming in.

Trying setting up closer to cover or have some sort of cover for the coyote to travel through or along on its way in. Try calling less and or more often. Try other sounds besides rabbit distress and use some friendly howls once in awhile. Take it a step at a time till you find what breaks them loose, too much at once just adds to the neg.
You may have tracks all over but this maybe a hunting area and the coyotes may be over on the neighbors property or bedded down right in one of the ranch groves (woodlot). Try calling around cattle if there are any out in the pasture or a deer yard.. Also look for bigger sections to call in..
Pony
coyotehunter

Post by Pony »

It just might be in that area, the yokes are well educated. I mean they have been shot at alot. Might want to find a new place.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Have you tried any night calling?
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

+1 on the night calling, but one should practice on day time coyotes first to get a idea of how and when they respond.
It just might be in that area, the yokes are well educated. I mean they have been shot at a lot
I'm not buying that excuse. Sure if they have been shot at by road hunters or the local rancher they may shy away from the roads at certain times of the day or any time a pick-up drives by. But they still will move about and even come to roads and cross them at varies times of day or night. If they have been conditioned by a caller or two they may get more difficult but some will still come in..

Today I was out driving around checking for tracks and getting ready to go after the coyotes tomorrow and met 3 young hunters. Two of them had brand new snow camo they got for Christmas and the third had a new F-P caller. They asked if I new any place they could call and I gave them permission to call one of my hunting areas. Creek bottom with a few wood lots and I knew it had a few coyotes in it, only catch was they have been shot at and run by the dogs a few times. LOL I didn't give them any details on where the coyotes like to bed or anything else and wished them good luck. I then drove down the road about a mile and watched them walk into the section to set up, they set up according to wind direction and put a gunner left and right of the caller, I thought not too bad for some young hunters..
They had good backing and didn't spend much time looking for a place to sit.. I had no idea of where they were going to set up but they did pick a good spot as the coyotes in this section tend to lay up about 200 yards south of where they set up and another kicker was they were only 75 yards off from the road with a big hog barn just on the other side of it.
At the 20 minute mark I spotted a coyote come up out of the creek bottom headed in their direction along the edge of cover and the open field going easy and stop about 100 yards out from shooter on the right.. I thought dam they are going to get one. LOL
Long story short it turned out the shooter to the right couldn't see it due to some small cedar trees and the guy calling only got a quick look at it then it turned and ran back the way it came.. Later I asked what sounds they used and one of them said just the basic rabbit distress.. Anyway this is just one example of many, they can be called at the right time with the right sound with the right weather conditions and it don't matter if they was shot at or even run with dogs.. Good weather tomorrow with fresh snow so this coyotes time on earth will be limited..LOL
NickNielsen

Post by NickNielsen »

Try to get into their comfort zone and give them very little. Try to use vocalizations only. Many different ways to kill an educated coyote but none are easy. There are lots of good areas out there. I tend to leave the highly called areas and find the less educated dogs, makes for a more eventful day.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Another thing that works with educated coyotes that just want to sit out there at 500-600 yards looking at you.......shoot them.....I have fond that practicing those 400-500-600 yard shots pays huge with educated coyotes. Cant expect them all to give you a 150 yd broad side shot. Practice shooting in wind and distance.......a bench and sand bag is for sighting a gun in but does not help you much in the real world on stand shooting situation. Practice situations were you have failed in the field. Practice at distances that make you uncomfortable on stand. You will find that with practice those educated coyotes are not so tough to put on a stretcher.