Primos boss dogg

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Decoyed
coyotehunter

Primos boss dogg

Post by Decoyed »

Look to hear if there's anyone out there using the boss dogg. It sounds good on the package but so a does a new car. I'm looking for real world review. Battery life / remote distance/ sound quality/ bulk. Any info would be great. I have foxpro which I feel is a piece of junk (wildfire with decoy). Need an upgrade and looking at options.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Primos boss dogg

Post by Tim Anderson »

Save your money and then spend it on a WT and be done with it. Loud, great live sound recordings, easy to operate and its dependable and they also have great customer service if you should ever need it.. I owned three at one time and now down to two, have never had to send them in for repair... :mrgreen:
Decoyed
coyotehunter

Post by Decoyed »

I talk to wt and they may have good sound and remote but the guy I talked to was telling me how great their unit is and how junk all others are. Kind of sounds like asking a Chevy dealer what's the best truck. The guys pretty opinion aided. I'm sure he meant no harm just came off bad to me
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

If you don't like him then don't by one, go get a Boss dog instead..LOL By the way have you actually talked to Bill or just going by what crap you read someone else.. :roll:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

ok......everyone says the guy is a asshole. the WT I am sure is a great unit but I know plenty of guys that own one and say the customer service is terrible. there is no flawless unit out there but I have had good luck with the foxpro's models that I have owned. the customer service has always been very good. I have not ever talked to anyone who had experience with the boss dog.
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

I can speak for my husband when I say every time he's had to make a customer service call, any other phone call or had work done by WT that they have always been good to work with.
He and his Dad both swear by WT. I'm sure other brands are catching up (maybe already caught up?) when it comes to quality...seems to be how everything goes.
But I agree with Tim if you don't like him then go with some other brand ;)
I for one know nothing about Primos Boss Dogg so I can't tell you about that...we've always had WT around until recently when my husband acquired a Fox Pro (given to him).

If you would like a review directly from him regarding callers he's used I'm sure he would be glad to do so. :D
Decoyed
coyotehunter

Post by Decoyed »

I Appreciate all points of view. I'm not sold on anyone product just looking at what people like and why. I would rather hear people that use them than a salesman. A friend said his parter he hunts with uses a wt and said they are a good caller but they do lack some features that are found on other callers. I need to see and hear it for myself. The reason I asked about the boss dogg is there's no reviews out there yet. Trust and believe me when I say I'm not bashing on anyone and not trying to start a fight I'm just looking for info and see my full options. Thank you for all those responses
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

uses a wt and said they are a good caller but they do lack some features that are found on other callers.
Here is how I look at it, if a guy spends a great deal of time calling he will find out you don't really need all those extra features, (bells & whistles) to call in pred. and kill them. That's why WT hasn't taken the big plunge like the others, his callers are simple to use, reliable and have good sounds that produce 24/7 and not some sales gimmick added to it to increase sales, just don't need them. Period..

I have a E-caller that I can down-loads sounds onto, probably have over 500 sounds in my personnel library, guess what? I don't use them.
At first with a WT you may need to have a sound list on hand, no big deal. Come a week or two later you will very seldom need to look at it or even carry it along.. Sounds like you already have your mind made up though so take the plunge and get a boss dog.. good luck and good calling..

Edit to add: Here is a tidbit that comes up about every month on other forums.
There are a couple of Wildlife Technology sounds I want to put on my Foxpro. I used the search engine and only came up with those saying it can't be done. Well I saw a CS24B that had them on it last night so it can be done. I know if I can just get the files I can upload it into the Foxpro utility and done. But......how do I get my hands on the sound files?
what's wrong with all the F-P sounds? Should be more than enough there to get the job done you would think. LOL
People are stealing WT sounds all the time and putting them on another brand of caller, Why is that?
WT has the best sounds out there.. Later
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I never have understood how people can get so worked up over a battery operated squawk box. These companies do not develop and design there own hardware. They go somewhere like Grainger and buy the speakers, dials, switches ect. off of the shelf. put it together and market it. A speaker, MP3 player, booster, couple of batteries and you are off and running. I don't even understand the whole special sound argument but guys get pretty worked up on how this sound or that sound is better. I guess that is were the marketing comes in. I use sounds that I recorded myself that seem to work for me in the situations I need them to. I cant imagine that there is some sound that is so special that it will have any great effect on my overall take from year to year. I am of the mindset that location is everything, and being able to shoot helps. as far as a caller, I think it comes down to what can you afford. I mean you do not need to drive a Porsche to work but if you can afford it what the hell. I am convinced that all anyone really needs is a open reed mouth call. You can still get a Crit-Rcall standard for about $10 and have all the fun you can handle out calling.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Not sure to who you are referring all worked up.. LOL Just chit chat as far as I'm concerned..

I don't even understand the whole special sound argument but guys get pretty worked up on how this sound or that sound is better. I guess that is were the marketing comes in.
If a hand full of sounds pull more coyotes in then any other sounds out there wouldn't they be considered better sounds.. When dealing with just YOY coyotes or coyotes that haven't seen or heard much calling, yeah any old sound would work but for the more advanced caller or someone calling in areas with fewer more conditioned coyotes just the run of the mill sounds aren't going to cut it most times and no one is going to convince me other wise.. LOL
Someone well tell you that you need a decoy or fox bang or some other goofy feature to call coyotes in, you really don't need that crap. All you need to do is set up so you can see your approaching coyotes and hopefully be some what of a good shot, not that hard as some make it seem.
I am convinced that all anyone really needs is a open reed mouth call. You can still get a Crit-Rcall standard for about $10 and have all the fun you can handle out calling.
I agree if you are living in a big area or area with high numbers that's all you need to take the cream off the top..
Also if you go to WT webb site you will see Bill doesn't advertise any black magic voodoo junk like some of the others..
Also if sounds aren't that important why did Cal Taylor jump on the F-P band wagon and collect a bunch of sounds for them? Just to take advantage of the unknowing or is there something behind having good or great sounds after all ?????????????

Edit to add. To be all honest though there is more to it than just good or great sounds, a caller needs to learn how to use them from prey distress all the way up the ladder to coyote vocals, they also need to have a understanding of what type or age of coyotes they are calling to as well and also what there mental attitude is. Aggressive, shy, timid, terr., hungry and lonesome ect.

As Steve Craig once said
If you don't know, you just don't know
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Cal did that because FoxPro was wanting to buy coyote vocalizations. he has two coyotes penned in his yard and has time to record lots of vocalizations. Its all about the money. If you want to go and buy every bark, yip, and howl that you can get a coyote to make then there will be some one always available to sell you the next great sound.
Vern Dorn didn't have a Ecaller, Bill Austin didn't have a Ecaller, George Good didn't have a Ecaller, ............The notion that ADVANCED callers use Ecallers when they have to get difficult animals is just silly. You don't need to spend all that money to call in a coyote. Killing difficult coyotes is about being a good hunter, not about what brand name caller you are using.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Vern Dorn didn't have a Ecaller, Bill Austin didn't have a Ecaller, George Good didn't have a Ecaller
Nope! But they also used other tools to get the coyotes and also had enough coyotes around to practice on.. Most of us don't so we have to get it right the first time or go home empty handed. Yips and howls, growls and barks they all do different things to get a coyote to respond, Wt. has a good assortment of all of them of which Cal still hasn't been able to record... What sounds he has are good recordings but are just the basic coyote vocalizations.. Sometimes with some coyotes you just need more to get it done.. Most guys don't need all the sounds as they have other coyotes they can call to, or just come up with an excuse why they didn't come in, I don't and if you know me and there is a coyote with-in ear shot I'm going to try and get it as these are the ones you learn from. :mrgreen:

Edit to add; Wish I had the time and money to come hunt with some of you, I'm sure I would learn a lot and perhaps you might walk away with a few golden nuggets from me as well.. LOL

As of late I have been board with all the calling crap and now just enjoying hunting behind the dogs, lots of more stuff to learn from the coyotes. good hunting
Heat seeker 1
coyotehunter

Post by Heat seeker 1 »

Decoyed,

I have hunted with an alpha dogg for 2 years. The boss is basically the alpha dogg on steroids . This e caller has helped my team place third and second in the Georgia Predator Hunters Association coyote classic. What you do with them when they come is up to you but the unit will bring in the critters for sure.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

They all seem to work well enough for there intended purpose. I am amazed how expensive that have gotten to be.