243 ai load data

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

jaybic
coyotehunter

243 ai load data

Post by jaybic »

Hey fellas,

Got a new rifle nearing completion and looking for some load data on a .243 ai 10 twist and a 87gr vmax or 87/88gr berger vld bullets. I still have to fireform and am using Lapua brass. I am also considering the 70 and 80 NBT but I am open to any and all bullet, primer and powder ideas as well.

Thanks and have a great off season!

Jamie
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: 243 ai load data

Post by Tim Anderson »

Don't bother wearing your barrel out with fire form loads, just work up a good stiff load and use them for hunting and sighting in. You will find out the rifle will shoot some pretty nice groups even with a fire form load.
Did some load work up for a friend that has one and I used the Hornady 58 gr. V-max and 65 gr. V-max and I think I used Varget powder.
Good vel. along with accuracy..
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Thanks Tim,

That is actually what I am getting ready to do using Lapua brass, 87 gr vmax and either H414 or H4350 powders(both of which seem to be highly regarded as 243ai powders) and I have heard your advice echoed on a few sites about just start working up a load and not wasting barrel life but being that this is my first AI experience, I am just curious how well a good shooting .243 load translates into a good shooting .243ai load. Have you seen things change much using the same load once the case is fully formed?

Jaybic
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

The only change is you can load up farther for more vel., accuracy should still be there if it was a good load to start with. Looking for my load sheet when I worked with friends rifle. I remember trying some 55 gr ballistic tips for the hell of it as I had some on hand. Friend wasn't interested in using them but I wanted to see how fast I could get them to go and if they were accurate.. Ended up shooting some real nice groups with that bullet weight at close to max. Have fun and be safe....
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

I have considered running some 55 NBTs wide open and they should come in upwards of 4000fps or better but the BC on them is so low. I know that speed can make up for low bc under certain circumstances but from everything I have researched, when a guy is really reaching out there, bc wins or the 1000 yard BR/F class fellas would be using tiny bullets to I am a bit on the fence as of yet.

I think more research and opinion gathering is in order to learn from the guys that have already tried it..

Take it easy and thanks again :D

Jaybic
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

The 55 gr. will move right along, not good on fur though.. I guess the big question is how far can you shoot accurately? Or how far do you plan to try and shoot on avr.??? When it gets down to it all that good BC is worthless if you aren't shooting past 700 yds..
I know some guys messing around with 65,75, and 77 gr. bullets in .224 cal, the funny thing is none of them shoot past 400 yds..LOL

Buddy of mine who I did the load work up for has made some real good 800 yd. running shots on coyotes with the 58 gr. or 65 gr. V-maxs, he has done it enough times to where I wouldn't call it being lucky...LOL He also uses a Leupold scope with the traj. dots in it for bullet drop... Have fun..

When you get done playing with what you got maybe you can come over and I'll let you hold onto this baby.. :mrgreen: :lol:
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Have you got that rifle up and running yet??