.223 small base dies

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Cuts Crooked
coyotehunter

.223 small base dies

Post by Cuts Crooked »

Well, I finally got completely set up for reloading for .223. It's been something of a learning experience because it has been several years since I did any reloading. After I quit shooting in Cowboy Competition I just didn't shoot enough to make it worth while. And back then it was all .45s, 38 S&W, 38 Special, and 12 gauge......and most of that loaded with Black Powder :shock:

I ran into a problem right off the bat! My reloads, made from brass shot through my AR15 would not work in my Savage Axis. Bolt closure was REALLY hard! I had been hoping to find a load that worked well in both guns to keep things simple. But it didn't seem like it was going to work out. I was full length resizing with RCBS dies and my reloads functioned just fine through the AR, but they were too tight in the chamber of that Savage. I'm guessing the combination of Auto action and Wylde chamber in the AR was letting the brass stretch beyond the ability of my RCBS dies to bring back to factory spec. :(

I ended up purchasing a set of small base dies and that cured the problem! :D

Current load for both guns is 26.8gr of Hodgdon CFE223 under Sierra 55gr SPBTs, ignited by CCI primers, with a 2.18 OAL. This load shoots right into 1" at 100yds from both guns. The Savage is capable of .5" with Winchester SuperX V&P, but I can live with the 1" groups just fine. (I would rarely shoot at a dog over 200yds anyway) Having always used factory stuff for my varmint hunting, it will be interesting to see how these Sierra SPBTs perform on the dogs. :?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: .223 small base dies

Post by Coyotehunter »

interesting. the small base die was made for the AR type rifles. which allows you to work the brass all the way down in to the webbing of the case. on my bolt action I use just a neck sizing dies, with my AR's I use a small base die or if not available I sand the shell holder down to get the same effect.
Cuts Crooked
coyotehunter

Post by Cuts Crooked »

Coyotehunter wrote:interesting. the small base die was made for the AR type rifles. which allows you to work the brass all the way down in to the webbing of the case. on my bolt action I use just a neck sizing dies, with my AR's I use a small base die or if not available I sand the shell holder down to get the same effect.
Hmmm? Any concerns about headspace with the altered shell holder?

I suspect that I will end up segregating my brass for both guns. :?
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Great if you can get the brass to work for both guns, won't last long though as you are over working it.. I bought some once fired brass years ago and got a good deal on it till it came time to use it in another rifle . Wasn't such a good deal and have never done it again...
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Cuts Crooked wrote:
Coyotehunter wrote:interesting. the small base die was made for the AR type rifles. which allows you to work the brass all the way down in to the webbing of the case. on my bolt action I use just a neck sizing dies, with my AR's I use a small base die or if not available I sand the shell holder down to get the same effect.
Hmmm? Any concerns about headspace with the altered shell holder?

I suspect that I will end up segregating my brass for both guns. :?
Slow going on removing material from the shell holder. I have taken to much and ruined the shell holder in the past. You need to work the brass all the way to the base on the AR's. With the bolt action rifles you want to only work the neck. You probably are going to find that for the best life and accuracy out of the bolt action brass you are going to want to segregate the fired brass from each gun.
Cuts Crooked
coyotehunter

Post by Cuts Crooked »

Coyotehunter wrote:
Cuts Crooked wrote:
Coyotehunter wrote:interesting. the small base die was made for the AR type rifles. which allows you to work the brass all the way down in to the webbing of the case. on my bolt action I use just a
Slow going on removing material from the shell holder. I have taken to much and ruined the shell holder in the past. You need to work the brass all the way to the base on the AR's. With the bolt action rifles you want to only work the neck. You probably are going to find that for the best life and accuracy out of the bolt action brass you are going to want to segregate the fired brass from each gun.

Yeah, as noted, the Savage can do .5" groups with Winchester ammo. My current hand loads will only do 1" from it. If I want to get the max accuracy from that gun, I'm going to have load specifically for that gun and most likely neck size only. And since I now have two sets of dies, I guess I can set each one up for the gun intended. :lol:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

yup. I have a .223 I am putting together and just realized I don't have dies for it. I am going to be shooting 75 gr. berger VLD out of it. 8:1 twist SST bull on a DPMS upper. tubs grip, tubs flat wire buffer spring, Diamondhead-USA front hand guard.........(hopefully). The muzzle is .925 and the barrel nut is 1.060" id. So I need a low profile gas block, which I may need to modify one since I can't find one to work with this hand guard. Diamondhead-USA is making me a barrel nut. Shit maybe easier just having the barrel turned down a bit. I will keep you posted.
Cuts Crooked
coyotehunter

Post by Cuts Crooked »

Coyotehunter wrote:yup. I have a .223 I am putting together and just realized I don't have dies for it. I am going to be shooting 75 gr. berger VLD out of it. 8:1 twist SST bull on a DPMS upper. tubs grip, tubs flat wire buffer spring, Diamondhead-USA front hand guard.........(hopefully). The muzzle is .925 and the barrel nut is 1.060" id. So I need a low profile gas block, which I may need to modify one since I can't find one to work with this hand guard. Diamondhead-USA is making me a barrel nut. Shit maybe easier just having the barrel turned down a bit. I will keep you posted.
Pics when you get it done?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

20150527_234224.jpg
20150527_234133.jpg
Dave Deluca from Diamondhead-USA helped me a ton with this build. He sent me a custom ground barrel nut to attach the ridiculously huge SST barrel. 10 1/4" free floating hand guard and their patented flip up sights. TUBBS hand grip and flat coil buffer spring. Not done yet but it is good to go to the range. More info to follow.
Cuts Crooked
coyotehunter

Post by Cuts Crooked »

Very nice!!!!!!!!! Now waiting on the range report! :)