Mountain Lion Calling???

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Mountain Lion Calling???

Post by Tim Anderson »

[quoteThere is a guy in Arizona with the last name Craig i believe i will look up some more info when i have time. He has a guide service based solelly on calling big cats and shoots if i remember right 12-18 lions a year on the call with clients i would try to get a hold of him if possible][/quote]

His name is Steve Craig. I met Steve a couple of years ago at a campout in Az. and also camped with him last year. When it comes to calling the big cats or even the little ones he's the man to talk to. Very nice guy and always willing to help out a fellow caller. Steve uses Cat vocals and i believe deer/ Rabbit distress sounds.
For the big cats be prepared to stay on stand for awhile. When after bigcats the maine thing he looks for is fresh droppings rather than just tracks... Steve stops in once in awhile on Midwest Pred or the new huntmasters site....Steve also used to give instruction for calling the big cats, not sure if he still does that...
Dusty
coyotehunter

Post by Dusty »

Anyone have anymore tips or advice. I am going to try and do some more hunting for it, my father has seen one from his tree stand at around 200 yards. All he had was a bow and a 9mm, I'll be hunting their for the kitty but don't really have a game plan yet. Personaly i think its mostly luck.
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Tim, I tried emailing Steve Graig some time back to see if I could get any input on what to use up here in the Black Hills. He never did answer me so I suspect he is pretty tight lipped about that. I have a couple buddies that have been trying. One has been succesful and the other one hasn't yet. I did read somewhere where he uses lion vocalizations though. I imagine it depends on what time of year as to what type of sounds you use. I do know that if you can cut a fresh track you have a pretty good chance of spotting one, or sit on a deer kill . I was talking to one guy who knew a young fellow whe followed a track and walked right up to one eating on a fresh deer kill. He heard it purring before he could make it out through the thick cover. His first shot hit the 135lb male and it spun around and ran right for him. I don't think the cat knew where the shot came from, it just headed for him. He shot and killed it at 7yds. That would get your heart pumping. When he notified the proper officials they believed that young male was the one that had killed a much larger collared male in that area.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I know Steve is retired now and maynot want to share his info due to not being fare to his students.
I only got bits and pieces from him but finding the tracks is a good start. Once the tracks are found then you need to find a tree that they use for a scent post and also try to find where two to three ridges come together, they like areas like that.. Mostly lion vocals are used when calling and when the cat comes sneaking in it will make a sound simuler to a bird. ( kinda like a chirping sound) A stand make take up to a hour or longer and its a good idea to have the caller placed away from where you are sitting so you can see them when they come in..Well thats all that i can remember hearing at the time.. If i go to AZ again this fall i'll pick Steves brain a little more...LOL
22-250AI
coyotehunter

Post by 22-250AI »

Found this and thought I would share,

http://www.critrcall.com/content/00/01/ ... forweb.htm
Krylon is my camo
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

thanks, Major is a great guy. CritR-calls should be in everyones bag.