Could sure use some stories

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Cuts Crooked
coyotehunter

Could sure use some stories

Post by Cuts Crooked »

Hey Gang,

For various reasons I cannot get to the hunting fields this year, caring for a cancer victim means not much time to chase the yodle dogs. I would sure like it if some of y'all could share your hunts here for me (and others) to read. It would help me pass long hours and keep me from going stir crazy.

Thanx in advance,

Cuts Crooked
alleyyooper
coyotehunter

Re: Could sure use some stories

Post by alleyyooper »

I really think this forum responded to a call and was harvested or shot Dead on arrival.

Took for ever to get my post posted, then so few others post here I rarely stop by any more.
I try to post on the other board but so few reply I am hard pressed to do that even when I feel KOGAS.

:D Al
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Lots of good stories to tell. just not much traffic here.. Have a good day..
alleyyooper
coyotehunter

Post by alleyyooper »

COYOTES ARE BACK HERE.

Friday night I am in a deep sleep and Kare comes in my room and wakes me. Coyotes are out there she says, I lay in bed and hear nothing so get up and go to the screen in porch door and open it. My older dog are going crazy barking like crazy, can tell she is running back and forth in the outside pen. I dress and go out as I step off the screen porch to the yard a deer across the creek starts snorting and snorting as it moves back and forth in the woods, I get to the older dogs pen and get her inside and shut the access door so she has to stay in. I go in the pen of the pup and she is shaking and comes to lay up against me for love. I shut her access door also, then go back out in the yard and listen. All seems calm except the dog to our south which is going crazy also.

I go back inside tell Kare everything is OK now and am going to go back to bed. I told her I would go Saturday morning and see if I could call them in. Was too late at night to call someone to go with me I felt. Saturday I wake up about 4:00am to a down pour, continues till almost 5:00am. I was all set to leave the house at 6:00am when it started to rain again.

It had stopped raining by 10:00 am so I go out to take the dogs on our morning 2 mile walk. On our walk the dog and I came across where something had gotten a rabbit since last evenings walk. Decided I would go out that evening and also no need to call one of the guys either. Since it is father’s day week end and I knew Eric’s daughter had flew home to spend time with him. Plan didn’t work as it rained off and on all day Saturday and Saturday night. Sunday morning it is raining again so didn’t go out nor Sunday evening as we had plans for other things.

Monday morning I am ready to go it is just barely getting light to the east when I stepped off the screen porch. Walk back behind the pole barn and stand looking across the flood flats for a minute. Then I go down the hill cross the creek at the bridge climb the hill on the other side and make the trail turn to the north, go about 75 yard and set the called down and walk about 10 more yards and set the decoy with some goose feathers clipped to the tail to gain mass. Back track to the creek and walk along it till I am nearly to my back deer blind, go up the hill and get in the blind. Set the call going with a fawn in distress sound going, Wait was just about 20 minutes when I see a coyote slinking along the north fence line with another just behind. Get the swift out the window and scope dead on the first coyote and fire, rack quickly but can’t get the other coyote in the scope. Swing back to the first coyote and it is laying where it dropped.

Wish I would have taken the Charles Daily OU, choked extra full & full. As I walked to the coyote I was counting steps and it came to 47 or about 47 yards. Am sure I could have gotten both if I had taken the OU with # 4 buck.

Called Eric at noon and told him I had a coyote running loose at my place did he want to come see if we could get it Wednesday morning, He will be here come for breakfast and be ready to go at day break.
well Eric came as promised. Will write that one up later.

alleyyooper
coyotehunter

Post by alleyyooper »

Eric arrived at 4:00 AM right on time. Had him set down with a cup of strong black coffee the way he likes it. HE orders biskets and gravy just about every Sunday at our group gathering so I went about fixing that for our breakfast. OK I admit the gravy I got out of a jar, it comes seasoned the way I like and has bits of sausage in it, but I made the biskets from scratch and backed them, also made up a couple of fried eggs for us. When we had finished I put the dishes in the sink and left a note for Kare to leave them alone, telling her I would get them when I got back.

I gathered my gear and stepped outside to meet up with Eric for the walk to the back of my place. We get back there and set my call up same place I had the other day. We also set out two decoys about the same place, We walk a back track and set up on a ridge not as far back as I had been and got that caller going with a piglet in distress sound.

After 20 minutes we had no takers so shut the caller off and waited, Gathered the gear and decided to walk back behind my place where three corn fields make a junction and the biggest one has a hill side choked with crab apple trees and other brush along with a grass edge to the field. We set the caller out in the bigger field about 100 yards and both decoys with goose feathers clipped to the tails to make them look bigger. Work back to the fence line and set on each side of a huge old maple tree.

We decide to use a fawn in distress sound this time, run it about half volume to start. I can see the grass moving like something is moving in it, OH the joys of summer time coyote hunting. Wouldn’t be a shot I could take as it was off to my right a good bit so I would have to adjust my seat arrangement. I point it out to Eric and he shakes his head yes he saw it, Just as a coyote steps out and looks at the decoys about 135 yards. I fingered the shot to Eric, he shakes his head no as the coyote starts going to the decoys. Eric signals for me to lower the volume to nearly nothing, as a second coyote steps out of the grass running to catch up with the first. As the two joined Eric fires once then twice one coyote down and the second running for the hill side. It just made it to the grass before tumbling to a halt dead.

We wait a little longer and nothing else showed up so we walk out to retrieve the caller and decoys, then walk to the first coyote. Eric had got it just behind the left ear and scrambled it’s brains, hook my drag rope to it and head for the second one. He had hit the second one a bit far back behind the left shoulder is why it was able to go a bit before piling up. Fur is decent summer fur on both but was some matting from burdock burrs. There is a thick patch of that the stuff grows along the creek about 500 yards away, figure they had been in there recent and picked up some of last fall’s burrs, another joy of summer coyote hunting. Drag them both more into the grass and head back for the house. Is just after 7:00 so Eric can beat his girls to the office, I can get breakfast dishes done before Kare gets up.

Has been a busy last couple of months so I invite Eric in for some more of that strong black coffee and a chat. His daughter had flew in from Minnesota for father’s day, so that was a good weekend, I had been to Wisconsin the week before to see my granddaughter graduate from HS and start her journey to Colorado and college.

Cuts Crooked
coyotehunter

Post by Cuts Crooked »

Thanx, Ally! Those were much appreciated! :D