Handgun advice

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

jaybic
coyotehunter

Re: Handgun advice

Post by jaybic »

You might check in to a TC Encore in the pistol version. It is a single shot but you can get it in all sorts of rifle calibers ranging from various 22s way up to 3006(hold on to your hat when you touch that off BTW, I did it once and the recoil is stout to say the least). You can also change the pistol grip to a stock and turn it into a very accurate coyote/bear/elk/deer rifle.

Not much help for home defense but they can shoot like a house afire. Just an idea.

Jaybic
wizbang
coyotehunter

Post by wizbang »

Hunting: S&W 460
Defense: Kimber RCP 45acp
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Doesnt matter, as long as the caliber starts with a "4". :D

I have a couple of 1911 .45's, LOVE the caliber!

Never been a fan of 9mm's, used the beretta M9 in the service, big heap of crap. IMO its to small for humans let alone bigger and tougher critters. (some will laugh at this remark, but when I whack somebody, I want them down RIGHT NOW regardless of where I hit em).

Theres some real nice small frame .45's out there today if you interested in concealed carry and home defense. But, im not a very big guy (6 foot 150 lbs) and I have no problems concealing my GI model 1911 at the small of the back position.

Springfield 1911, LOVE it.
Colt 1911, LOVE it.
1860 Colt Army .44 cap and ball. LOVE it. (Tryin to kill a poochie with it this winter yet).

If you want to hunt with it primarily. Probably want to stick with the large frame revolvers, something in a .357 mag, or .41 and .44 mag.

The .45 ACP isnt really a "hunting" caliber. Its meant for human targets. However, it can be done, stick with the heaviest JHP bullets you can find and keep the range close, im more concerned with penetration with this caliber vs expansion, the bullet alone is already almost half an inch in diameter. Ive used mine to dispatch crippled coyotes before, and thats the load ive had the best luck with.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

bbj

Thanks for the post.

I am going to keep my Kel Tec 9 mm for warm weather carry (when I finally get my butt in to get my permit), and use my Springfield XD 45 for other times and also for my home insurance. :wink: I almost have that thing paid off anyway.

I'm not that big either: 5' 7", (5' 8" if I'm lying) and 175 pounds. I am sure I will figure out concealment options.

Who knows maybe down the road I will look into a hunting revolver too.

Out of curiousity what animals have you taken with your .45, if any?
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

What have I killed with the .45?

One bonafide coyote. (Whacked him out of the pickup window during calving season last year). About 40 yards, FMJ punched right through the shoulders but a bit high, he went about 160 yards over a little rise and piled up, thought I lost him for a minute.

Two crippled coyotes.

Some squirrels, jackrabbits, porcupines, skunks, and coons.

One beaver.

Missed a fox with it last fall goose hunting. (still mad at this one, about 7 yards, right over his back!)
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

BBJ

I killed a small doe with my Springfield Armory .45 the first weekend of deer season. 230 Grain Jacketed Holllow Point through the neck at 10 yards. I was laying prone in the grass! :D
Bill K
coyotehunter

Post by Bill K »

Fallguy wrote:I am looking to buy my first handgun. Just curious what other people on here have a handgun, and what you like or dislike about your particular one.

I am going to get something that I can use for both deer hunting as well as in the home as a defense weapon. I am also eventually going to get a conceal to carry permit.

I have a few ideas of what I want, but want to get some firsthand comments. Have at it boys! :D
Buying one gun for both will be a tough act to follow. If you can not put the money out for two weapons, then check out a good .357 or .44 Mag in a four inch, both of which would work for deer and be concealable for protection. Go to a good gun store, check out various weapons and see how they feel in the waistband, etc. Bill K :)
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Thanks Bill K.

I am now carrying a Kel Tec PF9 that my father in law bought me as a Thanksgiving present 2 years ago. Crossbreed Mini Tuck holster. So comfortable I can wear it on a 5 hour ride in the car and almost forget it's there!
Jake
coyotehunter

Post by Jake »

WAREAGLE wrote:THE TAURUS JUDGE YOU CAN SHOOT 45 COLT,45 LONG COLT AND 410 OUT OF THIS MY BUDDY JUST GOT ONE AND IT IS A FUN GUN TO SHOOT :mrgreen:
A person that hunt's with me, has one and loves it, I fired rounds threw it on the range, it shot well, Nice Gun
I used a Modle 29 Smith 44, got alot of Deer in my time with it.
It is, What it is.
REDTAIL
coyotehunter

Post by REDTAIL »

Ruger's new 5 Shot 44 Special GP100 Pistol should have you covered for both Hunting & CC.?
REDTAIL
coyotehunter

Post by REDTAIL »

Ruger's new 5 Shot 44 Special GP100 Pistol should have you covered for both Hunting & CC.?
white eagle
coyotehunter

Post by white eagle »

not sure how big you want to go but for hunting handgun nothing beats the 475 Linebaugh for any animal alive of course you could always get a 44 mag again most every game animal has been taken with it and you can also fire 44 special ammo in it as well gong to the semi side the 45 acp is a tried and true performer and works real well for conceal carry and home protection
lots of choices
pick one you that feels good to you
everyone is different
juniorss632

Post by juniorss632 »

not sure how big you want to go but for hunting handgun nothing beats the 475 Linebaugh
I can totally agree