Good Coyote Hunting Books

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Good Coyote Hunting Books

Post by Fallguy »

I am looking for some reading material for the winter months. Any suggestions on good books about predator hunting? In particular information about coyote behavior/breeding/vocalizations?
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Your suppose to hunt coyotes in the winter not read about them LOL J/K man :D
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

At the rate I read if I start a book now I will finish it next fall so that's perfect.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

The Coyote Hunter by E.l.K, Clever Coyote if you can find it. all of majors stuff. Track of a coyote by crabtree. the rest of the coyote hunting b ooks out there are pretty much the basics
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Do you have Crit R Calling with the Major by Boddicker? i want to read that but on his site he says you can't order it yet because he is getting it reprinted. :x
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

The Clever Coyote by Young and Jackson is a must read for anyone that wants to get ahead of the competition. The two of them are Biologists and it is considered one of the most comprehensive studies on the 19 individual subspecies of coyotes that has ever been written. I can not say enough good things about that book, a great read, I have read it twice. The Voice of the Coyote by Dolby is another good book that has some stories that are fictional in the last few chapters but a ton of good info through most of the book. "Hoof Beats of a Wolfer" the O'Gorman style of trapping is a mind altering experience and is less about trapping (at least as far as chapters devoted to set construction) and more about coyote biology and coyote habits. There are also a number of studies that can be found on the internet that is publicaly funded and also can be requested at your local library. Lehner's Lexicon on coyote vocaliazations, Brian Mitchell has a good study on coyote vocalizations as well that was just completed a few years ago. You can get The Clever coyote and The Voice of the coyote off of E-bay but you may have to spend some time looking, Those two books were written in the 40's and can be hard to find at your local book store.
Last edited by Coyotehunter on Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Well I found a used copy of the Track of a Coyote on Amazon. I ordered it. It looks like a good one about a study done on some coyotes. I'll let you know if I liked it once I start it up.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I found and ordered a copy of the "Clever Coyote" they were selling anywhere from $8.55 to $199.99 :shock: I got mine for the lowest price but i think it is going to be in pretty tough shape :cry:

I'm about 70 pages into "hoofbeats of a Wolfer" WOW! :shock: Craig O'gorman takes pursuing coyotes to the next level!! Unbelievable read.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Brad when you are done with some of those books can I trade ya for something else or just borrow them. I will return them in teh same condition.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have read Hoof Beats several times now and get something out of it everytime. The man is like a frickin machine.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

The Clever Coyote and some of my others not a problem "Hoofbeats" however i will not be boring out but i will get you the ordering info.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Sounds good. If Hoofbeats is that hard to get a hold of I don't blame you. Sure get me the order form. You never know if the Gremlin (my kid) would get ahold of it!
coyotero

Post by coyotero »

:D
Last edited by coyotero on Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Well I got Track of the Coyote by Crabtree. Looks like a good book. So far I have only read a few pages but I have been under the influence of the pictures. Man, there are some nice photos of coyotes in there. Over Christmas break here while at the inlaws I think I will probably finish the book.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Its got some pretty good info on coyote behavior and such but is a little bias at times on the anti hunting aspect though :cry: