Tournament of Champions

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Would you participate in the tournament of champions?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 6

kevin kerner
coyotehunter

Tournament of Champions

Post by kevin kerner »

I have had a few teams ask me about a possible tournament of champions. I would like some input from the message board if you think this would be a good idea.

This thread is just a list of my thoughts on how the tournament could be run. Please feel free to recommend any changes that you feel would be beneficial. First we would need some strict rules and very tough check ins like the Dakota Coyote Classic. I was thinking of at least 4 towns and up to 10 towns that have rules similar to the Dakota Coyote Classic or are willing to change to those rules. Each tournament organizer would be able to share a black list of people who have not played by the rules of past tournaments to keep those parties out of the tournament of champions. (this would be confidential to the tournament organizers) In order to gain access to the tournament of champions we would utilize a points system tallied throughout the year. This would require some simple book keeping/accounting by the tournament organizers to ensure a successful tournament.

Some of my thoughts for the points system of the tournament would be

1. Each tournament hunted would be worth one point per team.

2. Each coyote killed during a qualifying tournament would be worth one point.

3. First place in each qualifying tournament would be worth six points.

4. Second place in each qualifying tournament would be worth five points.

5. Third place in each qualifying tournament would be worth four points.

6. Fourth place in each qualifying tournament would be worth three points.

7. Fifth place in each qualifying tournament would be worth two points.

In order to qualify for entrance into the tournament of champions you would need a cumulative points total of at least five points.

For each regular season tournament there would be a $10.00 entry fee per team to qualify for points toward tournament of champions. After qualifying for the tournament the fee is not applicable and the team is not required to hunt any other tournaments. Points are tallied as a team, therefor, the points are not able to be shared/transfered between other hunters.

The team with the highest cumulative points total for the tournament season will win the entry fee's collected from all teams throughout the season. The location of the tournament of champions would be chosen at random to be held in late February.

I have talked with several other organizers and many hunters and we have a general consensus that this would be a great addition to the sport and an incentive for participation.

Once again this is just a list of my thoughts on how I think this tournament could be run successfully. I am asking for input from the boards to tailor this tournament to be a great success. Please send any comments to my message box or call at the numbers listed below.

Kevin Kerner

Cell (701) 301-0364
Home (701) 873-2320
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Some of you know I tried this last year. I had very little interest but I feel there is diffenitly some potential for some great things here.
Coyotes Forever
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I think that it is a great idea but there are some that will feel everything is unfair. The only fair way and to prevent some bickering is if all the tournaments were to be put on by the same guy. that way all things would be the same at every tournament. so if one guy were to put on 5 tournaments and then have the tournament of champions they would be able to decide for themselves. just my 2cents
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I like the idea, It could be a blast. The only thing is that I believe 5 points is minimal. I think it should be much higher! As long as there are strict rules, I think it could be fun for everyone! Good Idea

How many tournaments are you thinking? all over the state?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
kevin kerner
coyotehunter

Post by kevin kerner »

I talked with coyotehunter last week about this. We both think its a good idea and thats why I brought it up. We need all the imput we can get, I started the Cohleharbar tournament and will put this into it, I talked with Ted at the Nightowll and he is thinking of it, talked with Ron Jenson in Kenmare and they are thinking of it. Right now we are a long way from prime tournament season so if we want it to go we need to get going and get some good or bad imput. I do not want organizers that are not willing to go the extra mile to run a tournament the way the DAKOTA CLASSIC is run.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I like where this is going and another opnion i have on it is that i personally and maybe others would like to see a tournament or two in october before the deer hunters educate them. I like the point system and as levi mentioned i think that it should be higher than 5, but yet you still want to have a good outcome. another question i have is where would the tournament of champions be held? Another question i have is every team that enters this at 10 bucks for everyother tournament they participate in will that money then go to the winnings for the tournament of champions or door prizes or some other good use? great post and lets keep this thing going cause i am sure it will take a while to plan and what not.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Great Idea me and Coyotehunter have discussed this A LOT. Its a great concept if you can keep things straight. One of the biggest problems is some people hunt with different partners in different tournaments and then how do you split the points?

I agree that the it would be tough to figure out where it would be held.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

what about different tournaments that have 2 person tournaments and ones that have 3 person tournaments??
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"