wolves

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

tiller

wolves

Post by tiller »

This fall Montana should have a wolf hunt if the anti's don't sue and tie the hunt up in court, and they're threatening to. I would love to put one on the stretcher but I'm not really sure how to target just a wolf. The regs state no baiting, lures or electronic calls. I've called coyotes in wolf country and have never called a wolf in that I know of. I see a few a year but see sign just about everytime I'm in the woods. Has anyone here ever hunted wolves? any thoughts or suggestions?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" Red Green
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

You are not going to find to many guys with wolf experience. More than just a big coyote, but very habituall in there actions. I think if you are seeing lots of sign it should allow you to start patterning a particular animal or two. If you can find a book called "Wolves of North America" or "Last of the Loners" by Stanely P. Young you will find both very informative and a great read. both books deal exclusively with wolves and the methods used by goverment hunters to capture them.
Coyotes Forever
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Sounds like the regs say no baiting but if that doesn't prevent you from hunting over 'dead critters', dead cattle,deer,elk,whatever likely would work.Especially if a rancher is on your list of contacts-a rancher who is having problems.
Beaver carcasses,moose/deer remains work in Ontario so should there.
Smith
coyotehunter

Post by Smith »

Hi, I have a couple of suggestions. Try using a moose call, they seem to show up around everybodies moose camp when they are calling. You could also try howling, wolves will often come to kill a coyote, seems to work in some areas. Biggest thing is finding the area they are in, they travel a bunch. Had some buddies follow some last winter, they gave up after 20+ miles of rough bush country. Be prepared for some long shots, and if you think coyotes can bust you, wolves are even tougher. Good luck.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

im sure hunting wolves is hard but i look at it this way: there has always been a bounty of some sort on coyotes as long as i can ever remember from old time hunters and the coyote is still around in strong numbers. The wolf had a bounty put on it and it was damn near shot and trapped to extinction. So if you ask me a coyote must be the smartest animal out there. I would like to hunt and shoot a wolf though.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I think the sheer amount of country a wolf will travel on any given day is what makes them difficult to remove in a timely manner.
Coyotes Forever
Smith
coyotehunter

Post by Smith »

HI Chris, no doubt the coyote has adapted way better than the wolf has. If you want to come up and try a hunt, not many places better than northern sask.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Isn't that were "wooly" is from, Randy Andersons Buddy! That guys is a riot, if I could meet him I will be up Sask. in no time :lol:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Smith
coyotehunter

Post by Smith »

Hi Levi, not sure if wooly is from here, there are at least a dozen people in sask, unfortunately I only know 10 of them. You should come on up anyway, at least 3 or 4 of the folks I know are fun too....they're not friends mind you, only have one of those...
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Just getting the wolves located in their territory is going to be the biggest problem. You could call all day with good sign but wolves run such a big area that they could be a long ways away and not have a chance of hearing you. Most of the same sounds should work although i think i would move to the bigger prey animals. Just my two cents have been planning on tring a trip for them for a few years but just never got it done.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
tiller

Post by tiller »

Thanks for the replies and I agree with those that mentioned how much country wolves inhabit. I live in big, steep timbered country and in my mind I just can't see how I'm going to do this wolf hunting thing successfully without some kind of luck.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" Red Green
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

LeviM wrote:Isn't that were "wooly" is from, Randy Andersons Buddy! That guys is a riot, if I could meet him I will be up Sask. in no time :lol:
If I remember right from the commentary Wooly is from either Rabbit Lake or Rabbit Leg. Couldn't tell what he said.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Smith
coyotehunter

Post by Smith »

could be Rabbitt Lake, little place about 3 hours east of me. Great country!