Male or Female??

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Male or Female??

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Here is a topic that has been hashed a few times over the years and a good one to talk about this time of the year.

A pair of coyotes is responding well you have been able to watch them come for a long distance and both have urinated so you could sex them. Which one do YOU shoot first?

They are both at the same distance standing shoulder to shoulder. (Just to block out the closest or farthest away answers)

I will relay a story and pictures of a stand today after we have discussed this a little
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I always try "if" possible to shooot the female first.
Coyotes Forever
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Female first if I can.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I was told shoot the female first because the male sometimes becomes all confused and has no idea what to do. Then a few yips and howls might have him come in.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I do not know how confused he is but he does not like leaving her behind.
Last edited by Coyotehunter on Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coyotes Forever
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Usually if you have them sexed for sure , shooting the female will give you the best chance for another standing shot at the second coyote. Having the patience to let him stop and avoiding taking the running shot right away also adds greatly to taking the pair. Observing how the other coyote reacts to the first one being shot dictates alot to the before mentioned scenario.

With all that being said, and not knowing when they are coming in, the least agressive coyote in a comfortable range gets shot first and then I go to what is closer. If it looks like the other coyote is going to stop I wait ,if it looks like he won't stop till he hits the ND border I may try him on the run, but I don't shoot at many running coyotes , I would rather come back and work them again without being shot at. But like everything in coyote calling everyone, every pair and every group are always different.

But, sometimes the most agressive is the female, sometimes the bigger physically is the female, sometimes the the whole group of 3-4 is males, sometimes a group of 4 is 3 females and 1 male, it's always different.
Randy Roede
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Good post randy

i would like to see explantions with your answer guys like randy posted

This has been discussed over and over and there isn't a right answer no matter who you are but i think it is something that everyone should think of.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

I don't know anything except I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express once.Seriously though for me its hard to tell which is which.Over the past 3 nights I've watched 6 hours of Les Johnson(good buy from this site)DVD stuff and seems that he's never sure either.Often says(usually based on size but sometimes on how the coyote acted) what he thinks it is buthe's never certain either.
Sidenote:Never thought I could watch 6 hours of anything but I enjoyed his stuff.Some great footage and man I learned a lot about PATIENCE and rushing the shot-particularly the shot on the second one.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

You can tell a lot about the sex of a coyote by looking at their faces, if they stop to urinate that is a sure tell, physical size some times, but the face for me is were I look to figure out the sex if something more obvious does not present itself. On adults the females muzzle will look long and slender and the male will be broader and shorter. Or at least appear shorter in relation to the width. The ears on the males will look more rounded as well. I have been fouled though by old females that look alot like a adult male. I shot an older gummer this past sept. that I was convinced was a male until I noticed it was missing a few tell tale body parts. So, no guarantees but you can tell a lot from a coyotes head.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I agree 100% coyotehunter i do the same thing if they don't urinate for me. Just watching how they interact with each other as tehy come in can tell you a lot also.

Good discussion guys keep it up
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

The mating season scenario of shooting the female first to double up has a higher chance of playing out, mid jan to now,vs. fur season, nov. to mid jan.when you are dealing with pups with adults, when killing an adult first will give you similar results whether it be male or female. Which is something more recreational callers may be able to relate to.
It is not uncommon for adults male or female to hold back and let the pups come to the call at times, and other times woof them back and come in first themselves. These scenarios are seen in this open country but you guys calling in the thick stuff don't see it happening. it is ,but you are just not seeing it.
Randy Roede
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Yep good point
Coyotes Forever
coyotero

Post by coyotero »

:D
Last edited by coyotero on Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Prairie Ghost that is interesting about the faces. I will have to put that theory to test next season. I will try to guess what sex we shot by the face and then walk up and see if I am right. Thanks for the info.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Wow this seems to be an interesting topic!! I like all the insight that some of you have shared too. I can't be totally honest and say that i try to sex the animal as they are coming in :oops: If the coyote is working me slow then i try to determine what sex it is by its posture that it presents. I have been fooled many times when a charger would come in and you swear it must have been a male but then when you go pick it up its a female :? It seems to me that when i make a stand i always try (try being the keyword) the closer or the easiest shot coyote first. there have been too many times that i have counted how many tournament blocks would be filled after that stand and all it did was burn me. I shoot the one i feel the most comfortable and have the highest percentage chance of getting shot first, then if i get the other thats a bonus. In Less johnsons videos as the coyote is coming in try to sex it then see if you were right cause after he shoots it he lets you know if it was a female or male.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!