Male or Female??

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Friday i was held up due to my truck needing service so didn't get out to the ranchers until 11. They told me they had a pair howling in the calving pasture and one pair howling on the ridge to the northeast of the calving pasture. Me and the dog went out to see if anyone wanted to play.

We set up just outside of the calving pasture on the edge of a Prairie Dog town. Started out with a few lonesome howls with no response. I waited five minutes and then started with a little prairie dog distress. I spotted two coming hard through the sage at about 500yds. They stopped twice to get a good idea of where i was and then went right back to running in. They popped out of the ravine at the edge of the dog town at 300yds and a lip squeak closed the deal here they come. I wasn't able to see either one of them urinate or sex them besides judging soley on size. They spotted the dog and gave the look of ha! lets teach this little punk a lesson and both broke off to a V to flank my dog. The dog ended up making a run more so right at us and the female was getting spooky so i sent a 32grain pill into the dog. He immediatly started doing the yipe yipe yipe dance and ran about 15yds before hitting the dirt kicking the female took off but upon seeing the male hit the ground and start kicking she imediately hit the brakes and came running to her fallen mate. Boom smack spin kick all that good stuff and there is one less pair around the calves the cattle showed me their appreciation! LOL. The female was a young coyote probably her first year breeding but the dog was a season veteran so i'm sure that had a lot to do with the reaction

On the way to the next ranch i spotted one off the road mousing about 4-500 yds off of the road so i snuck out to a hill did a little coaxing and dusted her at 150yds

I usually in most cases will try to shoot the female first it's just a better bet that the male is going to want to make sure that female is following after the shot then the female. In most cases that I"VE seen if you shoot the dog first the female won't even look over her shoulder she is heading for the next county and if the male doesn't make it then tough for him (sounds a lot like my marrige LOL)
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Chris, you are right,most need not worry about alot of this. You can't kill two till one is dead and so on. None of this is exact all the time.
Multiple coyotes usually become easier one you have done it a few times.
Randy Roede
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

As soon as you think you have one scenrio figured out, it all changes the next time you go out. Month of the year, age of coyote, its personal place in the pecking order, sex....blah blah blah. If you are hunting a particular coyote is can be useful information but if you just want to shoot a coyote it may not mean much. the difference between killing any coyote and killing all the coyotes in that township.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

nice pics Brad, those are some nice pale yotes!!

A guy can total increase his coyote numbers, especially this time of the year with little tricks like sexing coyotes. I perfer to get 1 coyote first, either male or female and then try to get the second or third.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Great pics and story Prairie Ghost!Lots of good info here and this 'calling'thing has really bitten me now.Still love snowshoeing,spot/stalking and long range sniping but all the mystery and intrigue and 'maybe's'of this calling stuff has got me going.
As I posted recently my NoDak season ended friday.Wanted to end SoDak yesterday on a successful note but despite many good sets I saw zilch.So,tried again with a do or die last hunt this morning.In fact,my heart wasn't really in it cause I was going to try kill an old boy here on my place I've named 'Bad Hombre'.He's had me and quite a few other guys try him and I suspect had heard about every 'distress'sound around.Snuck into a cattail slough in the dark,set up with the call on one side of a narrow neck between parts of the slough and me on the other.Tried the 'Male challenge'which was a first for me(the 'barking'part of it scares me cause its too 'warning'like but...)Followed that up with about 30 seconds of coyote pup distress.Then just sat there.After about 5 minutes two roosters get up cackling behind me.Then a half dozen deer come crashing through right by me and cross the ice almost running over my call on theother side.Another minute and I hear something right behind me in the cattails.I slowly stand up and there he is,Bad Hombre!Bang flop!A very challenging shot-25 yds. :lol:
What a way to wrap it up for the year.Goes to show ya,even us old birds can learn new tricks if we get on these computers and go to this site.Thanks all for your input.
Good hunting.
PS Over the summer I'll figure this 'photo thing'out but despite an earlier promise,I'll ask Coyotehunter to post a pick of 'Bad Hombre'

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Good Work!!!!!! :shock: Those are the ones that feel really good. I'm sure you won't forget that one for quite some time. And just think now you can go brag at the local bar about taking down the coyote that no one else could!!!! :P
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

prairie ghost and dcoy love the stories! a while back i had 2 coming in fast and now that i read some of these posts do you guys see the male coming 1st or the female leading the way???? i had two come in a while back and they seemed to race each other changing who was leading, i took the close one and as dcoy says bang flop, after 3 more shots the other one, well i had to track it and do a follow up ( bang flop) both were males?? I to love the bang flop from dcoy.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

You just never know Tbush this time of year if they are coming to distress sounds there is a good bet that the female will be leading the way (she knows she needs to pack on the pounds) just like a preganant woman. If they are coming into howling then the male will most LIKELY be leading. However i have had a female come charging into female invitation howls like my wife when a woman used to hit on me in the bar LOL :D

Like we all know as soon as you think you can predict them they throw the curve ball.
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

prairie ghost don't you mean WHEN the women hit on ya not used to LOL :lol:
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Hell i'm just a stinky old coyote trapper now they don't give me a second look :D
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Prairie Ghost wrote:However i have had a female come charging into female invitation howls like my wife when a woman used to hit on me in the bar LOL :D
Nice!! I like they way you worked that in!

I have noticed its about 50/50 on males coming in first or females. One stand we had this year, we had a pair of coyotes flying in, and you could tell the male was leading the way. He was twice the size of her, probably the biggest coyote I have see this year. She ended up slowing down and sitting on her butt and the male instantly slowed down and kept looking back at her. I would try to coax him in, and you could tell he wanted to come in but he kept looking back at her. I think the female makes alot of the final dicissions. Finally I got fed up with his putting her before me. So I went bang/thump, and he ran off yipping and sceaming, never found him! :evil:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

isn't that typical, he wants to go hang out with the guys and the wife is back there tapping her foot giving you the "don't even think about it" Look. When she starts to get heavy with pups you start to see more of that. He wants to come and play and she is just to fat to join in. He does not understand since they have been inseperatable for the past month or so. I had a pair last may that he was working the dog but she just laid back in the rocks and watched. She looked like a beached whale.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

LOL

I think you were talking about my ex-girlfriend :wink:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Typical woman!!!!

had a small female come charging in today to nothing other than rabbit squals. Couldn't get her to stop and finally my partner shot her running in at about 30yds
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

LOL i remember that stand levi :shock: i think we can learn a lot from watching how the old ladie reacts to us men when we wanna go have fun and how the male and female coyotes interact :wink: I just hope that they find the one that is right for them :lol:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!