New Hunter from Missouri questions

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Pack Leader

New Hunter from Missouri questions

Post by Pack Leader »

Hi all, New guy from Missouri getting into this Coyote hunting thing. Having some problems thou. I live on 80 acres and I am surrounded by 500 acres on one side and a national forrest on the other. At night you can hear Coyoyes everywhere yipping and howling. In the day I go out and set up, use calls, etc. and nothing. Can't get them to come or I don't see them.. The woods are heavy and would be hard to get long shots off. Any suggestions that might help would be great.
A little background, retired police k-9 officer. Long time shooter, vietnam vet.
Remember if there's one --there's two--never drop your guard!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Nice to have you on board. What I do if I have a particular group I want to call on, I will locate them in the morning or right at dark. Siren, or a group Yip-Howl over a PA and try to get them to answer. once I know where they are at I move up on them and start calling. Sometimes it takes the right day to get them to howl back. If they do it on there own, Bonus. The time is important. if it is 3am they may be out hunting and not any where close to there when you try to go call on them. The easiest way when you are just getting started would be to do it first thing in the morning just as it is getting light. Keep it simple. Get them to howl, move towards them with the sun and wind your favor. Sun at your back, wind in your face. Slide in quite with you eyes up watching to make sure you do not get busted going in. I always try to pull them to me. let them cover that distance. If you get to close before you start to call to many things can go wrong. They may see, smell, or hear you. You may have to make several stands on them always moving in that direction that you heard them. If you can not get them to howl. I would try to locate sign. Lots of sign and come back with in the next few days and start working that area. Fresh track and scat are a good indication that coyotes ore close. Get in there and a couple of long drawn out howls that taper off and I would stay on stand for no less than 25 minutes maybe more if you are sure they are there. I will be posting some pics tonight of just such a scenerio with a group of coyotes that killed a calf.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Getting them located is half the battle. After that its just a matter of turning their cranks enough to come in.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Pack Leader

Post by Pack Leader »

Thanks guys. At least now I have a direction to follow. I am very exited about this and lord knows I don't give up easy.
Question for CoyoteHunter. I see you have an Airedale. I have a background in training German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers and Labs for Police work. I have heard others talk about the Airedale being an excellent fighter, able to stand his ground with a Coyote. I am very familiar with the ability of the Shepherd and his fight drive.
When I retired my K-9 retired with me. I owe that dog the world. On four different occasions he with out a doubt saved my a$$.
Do you use him to hunt? Thinking maybe this would be something I might be interested in.
Thanks
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

That Airdale has been with me 24 hours a day 7 days a week since I got him when he was 9 weeks old. I use him for trapping, denning, decoying, and just a great friend. I love the dog and he is great with my kids. My 4 year old was riding on his back last night like a horse and wednesday he was going right into 4 coyotes bringing them back to me to shoot. My first Airedale and I am impressed with his courage, intelligence, and loyalty. First wounded coyote he found in a hole he dug out, the first coyote pups in a den he dug out and brought to the mouth of the hole, first time he was on a pair of coyotes in spring work he worked for 30 minutes for me and at one point disappeared for 10 minutes chasing them up into the rocks more than a half mile away only to bring them in for a 200 yard shot. loaded female and that was as good as it was going to get. All this and he had never worked with another dog before. Someone may cry bullshit but I had witnesses to all of this and to say the least I have been more than impressed. I got him out of Wisconsin, Strongbow Airedales. his grandfather is the only dual champion in AKC history. So good blood lines. Great dogs are very hard to come by. I have owned hunting dogs since I was a little kid and he is one in a million.
Coyotes Forever
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Coyotehunter,
Your view of great dogs is my view.Part of the family.One can own them all your life and almost all are memorable,but only a few are truly 'great'.
You obviously have one there.Amazing deal what he's able to do.
Well.off to shoot some geese.Shot my first banded snow yesterday.
Good hunting all.
Pack Leader

Post by Pack Leader »

Coyote Hunter,
i understand what you are saying. My Shepherd is like that. The dog will do whatever I ask. I have had him for 10 years now. He's getting old for a shepherd, but still try' to please daily. I keep telling him he's retired now. I have seen him scale 10 foot walls, fight two guys at the same time just an awsome dog. There are two stories that come to mind, once he was sent after a guy. The guy ran into the highschool football game thinking he would be safe. Nitro kept going. When I got to the stadium, Nitro had the guy pinned to a wall waiting for to get there. What a nose. Once on a traffic stop, I was questioning the driver outside of his his car. I did not see the second fellow exit the car. He was crawling along side the car to get to me. Nitro was watching this. When the guy got to close, Nitro came out of the car and went straight for the guy. Turns out he was armed and wanted. I could go on about the things this dog has done for me. Dogs like do only come along once in a lifetime. I am thinking when he leaves ue an Airdale might be in my future.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

i can about imagine how much you start to appreciate your dog in your line of work.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!