Anyone useing headsets and two-way radios?

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Anyone useing headsets and two-way radios?

Post by Coyotehunter »

If so what kind and how are you liking them. I have tried a few and thought they where all horrible.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I will talk to the guys that run the coyotes with dogs because they use two radios all the time. I don't know if you are aware of this but in minnesota you need to have a license when you use two radios to hunt predators. In north dakota i am sure it is different. The ones that my boss uses are the same ones the military uses. I will ask for more info if he ever comes back from vacation.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Turk and I have used them and had both good and bad results.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

I just bought a pair yesterday. I have had some in the past and have used them for deer hunting. I bought some 12 mile radios. Cobra micro-talk. I will be using them this weekend I will let you know how they work. I also have earpieces with mic's I have used before. Those work pretty good. They are push to talk or voice activated.
Jeff Rheborg
coyotehunter

Post by Jeff Rheborg »

Jamie,
We use the Midland GX444 and the new earpiece (AVPH4). WE struggled to find the right stuff for a couple of years now and I think we have found it, at least in my opinion. The earpiece is finally comfortable to use, does not hurt your ear wearing it all day. Got both from Cabela's fairly inexpensive. We used it up on the lake and got 4 miles out of it, but that was line of sight. If you have it tucked away inside your parka the distance is greatly reduced. WE can get about 100 yds with a hill or gulley between us, after that it seems to peter out. But that is still tucked inside my parka. It has the "Licensed" channels which push out more power, but have not played with them yet. I don't want to mess with getting a FAA Lic. Just my 2 cents.
Jeff Rheborg, President
The Varmint Hunters Assoc.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Thanks Jeff
We had talked about it a bit at the classic and i still haven't worked with mine much but i would say that was some of the problem. I was thinking that since they were rated for two or four miles that five hundred yards when tucked in my jacket shouldn't be a problem. But apparently it is :cry:
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Last month Brad and I where on stand hunting coyotes in the Western part of the Great State of Norht Dakota for about 2 hours. Brad was just out of eye sight of me and we had know way of communicating. He was unaware of the Bobcat that I was calling in. It was -12 deg. and I had seen the cat after the first sequence at almost a mile, I tried to get Brad's attention but was not wanting to do anything to screw up calling in a cat. After two hours I had him at 240 yards. I wanted to wait until he cleared the brush which ment him crossing a fence. He disappeared in that brush and did not cross the fence. The tracks showed he had got to the fence and sat down. Then just turned around and walked down a little draw towards a pond away from my location. I would have given a lot to have been able to communicate with Brad on that stand. He had know Idea what was going on the entire time. I could see the cat for long periods of time then he would disappear only to pop up again another 100 yards or so closer. Very cool watching him that long. He only moved when I called. When I stopped he would stop. I blew on that Song Dog until me lips where numb.
Last edited by Coyotehunter on Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Ya radios would have made that stand a lot more interesting.....for me at least :D
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I just bought a pair of midland GXT710VP3 radios, with midland surveillance headseats. I hope they help when trying to communicate coyote locations with your partner. Well see how they work this weekend, maybe we will throw them out the truck window :wink:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyote 22-250
coyotehunter

Post by Coyote 22-250 »

I bought the Midland GXT750 VP1 radios with the survalliance headsets and we used them out at the Classic and they worked great. they are up to 26 mile range. we have talked around here at about 4 miles in the side hills of the sheyenne river
Matt Monson

A.K.A Goose Bandit
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Are you guys leaving the radios out in the open clipped on you or are you tucking them inside your jackets? Im sure that will make a difference.
Last edited by lyonch on Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Matt

How are the earpieces? Are the comfortable or does your ear get irritated after a day of hunting?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyote 22-250
coyotehunter

Post by Coyote 22-250 »

I have my radio in my pants pocket under my coveralls. The ear pieces are awesome they are ten times better than the ones that come with the radios. they are very comfortable
Matt Monson

A.K.A Goose Bandit
coyotehunter

Post by 5.56 »

Sadly, two way communication is illegal here in Ohio. I kinda understand why they made that rule for deer hunters, but I'm trying to get them to realize that for 'dog hunting' it should be allowed. Getting them to change anything is always an uphill battle here. Although we can get '7' deer per year now, which amazes me to no end!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington