Wind Drift Experiment (photos)

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Wind Drift Experiment (photos)

Post by Fallguy »

Two week ago we went out and learned how much our coyote gun's bullets dropped at 300 and 400 yards. I learned that my 223 shooting 50 Grain VMAX was dropping about 11 inches at 300 yards and about 25 inches at 400 yards.

The next thing I wanted to try was to shoot at coyote silhouettes. I wanted to learn my holdover and also get practice in judging size and distance through my scope.

Well, as luck would have it, yesterday when I actually had time to shoot the conditions were horrible. 25-35 mph winds out of the SouthEast. So what did I do? I did some wind testing!

Here are my cutouts I made:

Here is one after putting a used Hugo's paper bag on it to keep track of my shots:

We set up the best we could to create a crosswind scenario. It wasn't perfect. We got the wind coming from the left and behind us. If we were looking ahead at 12 oclock the wind was probably about 8 oclock going 25-30 mph, with a few gusts. All shooting was done with bipods or shooting stick laying down prone.

My first group is shown with circles. I shot two shoots at 100 yards with my 223. I was suprised that there was virtually NO drift. Papapete did the same with his 22-250 on another cutout. He had the same results.

The next group I shot was 200 yards with my 223. I had a nice group in the wind with about a 7 inch drift. It is shown by the connect holes in a triangle.

We then moved to 300 yards. This time I had to just take a guess using the findings from two weeks ago. I held right between the cutouts ears and shot the two holes that have triangles around them. I think it would have stopped the coyote!

Finally I shot two shots with my 243 at 200 yards. The two square holes were left by that gun.

All in all I was happy with my shooting. I learned a lot yesterday! I only had one shell that didn't hit the cutouts (one of my 223 300 yard shots :oops: ). Thanks for reading and keep on learning your gun!
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Good stuff.Way to go.
Wind is a very tricky thing.Its easy to think its 'easy'.Then it grabs you and teaches you a lesson.I've fought wind reality all my life and only the last few years get it right,more than wrong.I have to keep reminding myself 'it is what it is'.By that I mean the laws of physics and flight don't lie,its my mind that does.
If I dope it right,the wind chart on my rifle is valid no matter how much i wish otherwise.Here's my weekend wind drift story.
I'd cleaned my rifles and quit for the year-then i went and got my hair cut friday.I get it cut by a nearby ranchers wife and when I arrived she had someone in the chair and said,'it'll be a few minutes,my husbands remodeling the basement and would like to talk to you'.He's a great guy who lets me hunt his land so I headed downstairs.As soon as i got there he announced coyotes had just killed 2 calves right behind the house and he wanted me to get them.I told him I'd shot 2 this past winter on his north pastures but never had hunted behind the house.He explained a hired hand had dragged the remains onto a slough/lake back there and they were howling mornings and evenings back there.A hired hand had tried to get em without luck.When done with the cut,I drove around and glassed as best I could and then walked in from a distant road the next day in the dark.(Saturday was windy if you are from around here and recall)Set up thinking I was OK but as it got light I could see the few remains were about 325-350 yds down with a strong crosswind which I doped out at 25mph or so.The hunter in me said 'move up bozo'but with age and senility I've gotten good at rationalizing so that work/effort can be avoided-and stayed where i was.About a half hour goes by and nothing.I decide next time i should come in across the lake and try that so I'm glassing away trying to memorize a route to get to a point of trees over there.When I look up,there are 5(yes,FIVE)coyotes milling around the remains.Avoiding a heart attack and finally getting my breath back i get on the gun-sitting position.I quickly realize I'm still not real steady even with the bipod so slide into a prone position creating a 'bench rest'composed of bipod,cowpies and gloves.Solid.Check my wind chart(8 inches at 300),line up on a broadside yote giving just a tad 'daylight'with the vertical crosshair just off his chest on the upwind side and touch her off.Spinner!The others run,then stop and watch the spinner.Line up just the same again on another broadside and touch off.Bang,flop then up and going with what was clearly a busted rear leg.I shoot at 'leg'again as he enters some cattails,then miss a runner going across the lake,then miss the 'spinner'as he continues his spinning.As I frantically reload he crawls into the cattails.I hustle down there and after breaking through the ice in the cattails repeatedly(filling one boot),I recover the spinner but not the 'leg'.
The spinner is hit in the rear quarters.Clearly the 'leg'had been hit too far back as well-then it hit me-a rookie move(in all my years never had 5 standing in range before).The 8 inches is for a 10mph wind-and I hadn't doubled it.
(243,55gr BTs,4050fps,BC of.276=8 inches at 300 with 10mph=Double at least at 25mph)It is,what it is.
There's another message here though I think-particularly for you younger guys:Hunt now,work later.The 'golden years'is just propaganda to keep you working when you should be hunting.Don't wait,senility and sharpshooting don't go together. :oops:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

You can by a wind gauge in most farm equipment suppley stores. I bought mine about 10 years ago and cost me $17 and still use it. It is in my glove box and I don not use it very often but It is there when I need it. I used to shoot over a chronoegraph alot and load the info into a ballistics program on my computer. I have a Oehlers and a Seirra external ballistics program that both work great. I have a ton of experience with the Oehlers and it is very accurate. I have not used it now for a couple of years though I have played with the Sierra some. Getting a feel for the wind and just going out and shooting on windy days is a real confidence builder but it never hurts to have a concrete point to start from. At one time I had drop and drift taped on all my guns. I have gotten away from this some. For the most part I shoot all my coyotes withthe same gun and have shot that gun for about 8 years or so. Kind of got it down but when you are just getting started it is a good idea to know what the gun is actually capapble of and what the wind actually is. Make no mistake, the wind can vary a lot down range from where you measure it from and the velocity of the bullet will change with the temperature. I still think you need a good base line to start from. I always used 15MPH as the reference point for my gun. out to 3000 yards and less the 15 MPH I just did not care. I can aim at fur and knock it over. But out past 300 or over 15 mph I need to start paying attention to what I am doing. I will at times check the wind with the gauge as I leave the truck if I feel it is getting up there. Great practice though. Glad to see you guys out doing that. If you go out at least once a week from now until next season, you will not believe the difference it will make. I joined a league and shot for 10 weeks over the summer and practiced at least 3 days a week for about 4 years until I moved. Made a huge difference. I have shot praire dogs out to 650 yards, eastern ND Jack rabbits at a half mile and coyotes in that 500 yard range. With that gun if I know the distance and can break the shot the gun will do it everytime.
Coyotes Forever
HuskerCoyoteCaller
coyotehunter

Post by HuskerCoyoteCaller »

Awesome info! I always try to shoot at least once a month, but think anytime a guy can you are going to better your odds. I bought a digital windmeter around $60 well worth the money.
Coyote fever gotta love it! Go Huskers!!!!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I might have to start carrying my turkey hunting vest on me for all the pockets i need to carry all these neat little tools :shock:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

GREAT INFO!!!!! These are the kind of things that keep on giving back for years and many coyotes to come.

again great post!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Next I want to make some wood silhouettes of a coyote providing a head on shot. I missed two dogs in that way this year and I need practice at it. Any dimensions you guys have or even a template for that?
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

you can try taxidermy supply just google it, most forms have the measurments with them this might help??