NoDak Classic

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Dcoy
Top Dog

NoDak Classic

Post by Dcoy »

Got a guy that just might attend the Classic with me.If not,I guess the word from an earlier thread was a guy could(foolishly I suspect)hunt alone.
I'm thinking hard about it and wonder if someone could weigh in on these questions:
Dates in 2009?Motel reservation probs?
Are there travel restrictions?How far are guys travelling?Easy access to land or lots of posted land?Been many years since I've been to Dickinson so...???
Daily check out/check in times?
Anything else anyone wants to volunteer much appreciated.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

your best looking at the information posted about the 2007 classic. I am assuming the dates will be relatively close. There are a few hotels, you could check into, the classic was held at the Quality Inn. If you look back, most of your questions will be answered. Its pretty early yet for the boys to have any set dates and time yet. Stayed tuned and they will post any information when it comes up

I attached the 2007 flyer and rules, just for reference

http://www.coyotehunter.net/upload/6NDCC.doc
http://www.coyotehunter.net/upload/coyo ... les08_.doc
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Yeh thanks Levi,I've read those and now see the times.
How about the area?How far are most traveling?Tribal lands?Private?Access probs?
Those are my real concerns.I wouldn't be coming to 'win'(heck I'm new to serious calling)but to have a good time,meet some people and learn.On the other hand,its prime time and I want to hunt.With 50 teams around,most I assume with 'local'experience,I don't want to spend the time/$$/etc if access to decent land and opportunity isn't there.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

to be honest its totally up to you how far you want to travel. I really don't know how far teams travel. Finding land can be fairly easy and the next area can be fairly tough. A tournament of this magnatude takes a couple of years to establish areas that you feel comfortable hunting. I think its something you should experience, its tough to describe. Its well worth it in my mind, but I absolutly love tournament hunting so I do it every weekend.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

The dickinson Convention and Visitors Bureau will send you maps, and hotel info in you contact them. http://www.dickinsoncvb.com/ There is a lot of public land in western north dakota that has areas that is every bit as dense with coyotes as any where in the west. Tribal land has some great hunting oppurtunities just make sure you buy the proper permit. An out of state furbearer license in ND is about $27 and a tribal license I believe is about the same. The check in times are early to give guys time to get out of the area and hunt there honey holes. I would diffently suggest coming out in the summer time in June and find you coyotes and get permission for the area you want to hunt during the tournament. Once you have your family groups located, it will be easier to get on them in the winter. The pups may move but the adults will be in the general area. If they are no longer the alpha pair for the area rest assured someone else will have moved in and taken up residense.
Coyotes Forever
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Well unfortunately summers are out for me but thanks for the ideas guys.I'll likely see you there.
Good huntring!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I am sure there will be alot more information for you this fall!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

The only area that land can be tough to get on is south and east in that mott area due to pay to play for pheasants. Lots of public land and many ranchers willing to have someone thin there coyotes out.

There is usually a block or rooms reserved in the motel that the banquet and check-ins are located at.

Like levi said it takes some time to get some areas that you can run and gun to unless you do a lot of homework. However i have gotten lucky and stumbled into an area the first year at a tournament and hit pay dirt :D
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

My son and I have been in the classic every year but the first one. We have never had a problem with finding land to hunt the classic has a good reputation and land owners great in that area, as no other hunting season is open so you don't interfer with thier huting, WE've traveled sw to marmot and as far north as williston. couple years ago terribly dry in the south so we went north, now all the oil activity to the north and n. east well ???? anyhow its a great time :D
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I've bolted two hours into MT before and had my land fall through on us but there is coyotes in every direction from dickinson
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Some serious travel goin on at times I guess.Well,if I enter you guys should be able to save some gas $$.With my luck,I'll travel all over and you guys will be able to do well behind the motel. :D
Thanks for the added info.