What scope to get???

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Hubbardhowler250

What scope to get???

Post by Hubbardhowler250 »

What scope to get for my Savage Model 12 low profile 22-250?? I am kind of leaning towards a Nikon Monarch or the Leupold VXIII.
Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.
William B. Sprague
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: What scope to get???

Post by lyonch »

Both are god scopes!! just get the one that fits your pocket book the best. there is some talk about nikon and leupole scopes in the product review section i think that you can rederence to if you like.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Hi.Welcome to a great site.You'll get some good info here I'm sure.
Might help to give the experts here a little more info.What type of shooting do you plan?Distances?Any preference in reticle style?(some like fixed crosshairs,some like varmint reticles with wind/distance bars or dots etc)
Personally I've shot a lot of scopes over the years and just have stuck with Leopolds.Usually 3 to 10 powers.I have friends that use Nikons and love em.I think brand is personal preference and I'm likely going to get a new scope soon and will try a number of brands and reticles.On brands,I'd try as many as you can and go with what fits your eye best(wallet also).
On 'power',I may try higher than 10 this time.Many here use more power.Never found it necessary for 400 yds and in but.....Again personal preference.Sounds like you've got a good coyote rig there and suspect either scope you're looking at will be fine.
Good hunting!
Hubbardhowler250

Thanks for the feedback. Ya i think i'm gonna go to Cabelas and look through some scopes. I want a scope that will be effective shooting a 300 yard shot. Is a 4-16x40 a good size for this yardage?? Also will I be able to find a coyote good within 100 yards??
William B. Sprague
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

4x12 will work just fine for you. No problem finding a coyote at a 100 yards.
Coyotes Forever
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

I have a 4-16x50 a 6-24x50 and a 6.5-20x44 on my coyote rifles and have had great luck with them all. The 6 and 6.5 power ones are Nikon and I recently bought the 4-16x50 and it is a Nikko Stirling and I am extremly impressed with its clear glass, Mil-Dot, target turrets, and side focus. I would say it is just as clear if not better then my Nikons. The price is very easy on the pocket book as well at $200 it is worth checking out. If the money is there the Leupold is prob the best choice but if you want a budget scope check out the Nikko Stirling you won't be disappointed.
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I own a nikon and I am not impressed at all! I am actually in the process of looking for a new scope as well, I am leaning toward leupold.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

you can't beat the Leupold warranty. I just sent in a beat up pair of Leupold Binculars and I had a new pair in the mail in less than a week. No questions asked. I also just sent in a pair of Brunton Elite binculars that I have had for about 10 years that were trashed. I got a new pair in the mail in about a week with no questions asked.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Thats great customer services!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

There is a lot to say about good customer service
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Hubbardhowler250

Thanks guys for the information. I went to Cabelas today and looked through a Leupold VXIII and the Nikon Monarch. I was impressed with both. The Leupold eye relief was pretty amazing. I think I will end up choosing it even though it is a couple hundred more. Does the 50mm scope make a huge difference since it has to be mounted higher? That is one thing that I didn't experiment with.
William B. Sprague
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

You won't notice the difference in coyotes killed by getting the big objective but it gives you a little bigger field of view and more clicks for extreme distance
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!