coyote territories

coyote studies

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

rhino
coyotehunter

coyote territories

Post by rhino »

I have been thinking on the places I have been hunting and I am getting many responses but the coyotes are not coming in. Last fall I called in a coyote but a 1/2 mile was all the closer it would come. It challenged me for a bit and then kept running. I am seeing some of that again this fall. I am wondering if I have been hunting in between different packs on the edge of their territories. Where I hunt it is pretty flat and 98% farmland. (North Central ND; North of Minot) Tree bluffs are common too in certain areas. So I am not very clear on how that translates into range of coyote packs. Are there more packs than I think and do I have to get closer to the center of the territory or is this time of year hard to gauge since the hormones are not at the highest levels. I have been really trying to setup in better locations. I believe this has helped me this season so far in seeing coyotes and hearing them. I am at least in the area. Prior years I didn't have as much knowledge as to where they would be hanging out so my percentages were pretty low.

This question might be better suited for a different forum but what are your percentages of sets vs. coyotes seen/heard/killed? It would be interesting to know.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: coyote territories

Post by lyonch »

It would be hard to answer you question without physically seeing your location and set ups. For me personally my percentage of number of stands to coyotes called in and shot varies drastically throughout the year. In the very beggining i would have to say i make on average 3-5 stands before a coyote gets called in or seen or heard or shot. When it gets late in the season i have seen it as bad as 15 stands made and no coyote seen, heard, or shot. There are days that everything seems to click and others where nothing will. As far as your situation goes it all depends on where exactly you are setting up, the wind, the sun, what sound your using, and many other little things that a guy has a tendency to forget. If i were you personally and had time to study what you would call your coyotes; take some time and dont call but watch them. See where they go and what they are doing at certain times of the day. Once you find the primary areas they hang out get out there before they do. If everything isn't right dont be afraid to let them walk, you can always come back and call them in on another day instead of educating them and making it hard on yourself. good luck and i hope you get'em :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Jamie correct me if I am mislead, but coyote's usually don't have defined territories this time of the year.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

I really appreciate the input. That is what I like about this site.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

if you have a pair that had a defined territory with pups in the summer chances are they still are maintaining that territory now. More than likely even through out the year they will stay with in the confines of those boundaries. Just remember to never say "never" and "always" with coyotes. That being said, I would put the howler away and stick with distress calls. If you are getting responses but nothing is coming in then I am assuming you are getting vocal responses. Please correct me if I am wrong but to many guys are out there challengeing every coyote they see and then wonder why nothing is coming in. put the howler away or at least at the bottom of your pocket and just be a dieing deer or rabbit for awhile.
Coyotes Forever
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

I haven't howled much at all this season. If I do howl it is at the end of my stand to see if anything is around and will respond. A last chance howl. I have been using a jackrabbit distress 95% of the time this fall. Hopefully they will start venturing out within range. But anyway it is good to be hearing them and seeing them. Best fall I have had so far in terms of hearing/seeing coyotes. Can't wait til the snow flies!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

rhino wrote: Can't wait til the snow flies!!!
you can keep the snow!! in your area
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Rhino, I've hunted your area alot and it can be a tough area with all the oil traffic, and guys driving around looking at deer :mrgreen: :twisted: etc... (alot of poaching in your area) So you may have to walk farther into areas than normal, a pretty good set up is try some rock piles off the refuge boundry, or those draws that extend out into the fields or pastures.I would stay out of the bottoms and hunt up top ?? Hunt the east side in the am so your facing basically N,NW SW and west, then move to the west side so your hunting facing east in the pm and just play the wind facing E,NE N SE etc...also those flower fields are good spots and try not to make them cross any roads, field roads or even two tracks... As far as calls go alot of those treed areas and draws are full of cotton tails, and birds so the wood pecker or little bunny call might be a good choice and calling during the week might help also..

If I can think of some spots that I can tell you how to get there I'll let you know. Once you get a couple called in and shot it will increase your confidence in calling and your on your way to many more :D
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Rhino just another thought, Its bad weather out right now and has been all week-end...IF you can get out the day it clears and calms down maybe just maybe :wink:
a proud member of the "IF" team
huntinND
coyotehunter

Post by huntinND »

In some cases If you get vocal response (barking) while using distress sounds it means they know something is up. How far are you walking into your calling stands? You may want to consider a different approach into areas where you have seen coyotes to avoid being spotted on the way in. It may help to do some locating at first light, then set up on them so you know the general area they are at. After locating you have to set up on them right away this time of year because they will most likely be on the move unless it is late morning.
The only times I have felt that I coyote didn't come in all the way due to territorial boundaries it seemed pretty obvious by watching their behavior. They do A lot of scratching and urinating and aggressive postures. In these cases your best bet is to let them work there way off, sneak out and come back at a later date with a different setup. Mark these spots down and when the wind is right come in from the other side. I've called pairs in twice in the same day by switching things up, different sound and different setup. Sounds like you have plenty to work with so let us know when you connect.
I've got a sickness and the only cure is more coyotes
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

The spots I have been going into have pretty good cover walking in. The coyotes have been upwind so they haven't been smelling me. Last tuesday some coyotes responded over a hill about 1/4 mile away. Pretty sure they didn't see me. Good cover walking in. It was perfect too because they would of been looking straight into the sun at me and a light ENE wind. I thought my setup was pretty good. This is the first year I have hunted the early fall really hard. Usually my coyote hunting doesn't start until after Dec 1st. Definitely different reactions this time of the year. They seem way more cautious or lazy. LOL

Thanks for all the input. I can really tell different seasons lead to different calling. The coyotes I have been seeing seem to have some good fur on them. Some other hunters I talk to have noticed that too.

The flowers are definitely where they are at so far in my area. That has been my main strategy up to this point. Hoping for some cooler weather too and the snow in about a month!!

Yes Levi Snow!! :lol: :lol:
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I have a question for you Rhino. Why Snow??? Here is why i dont like snow. When hunting tournaments it seems if there is snow the option to run them with snowmobiles is too high. The road hunters can see them easier and that allows them to shoot out the window at longer distances or chase them because they can see them. When making stands it is a lot easier to get into an area quietly and quickly!! I make more stands in a day when there is no snow. Those little draws that fill with snow in the winter are able to be accessed and called. You dont have to worry about getting the truck stuck driving down two track prairie trails. Yes there are some advantages when there is snow but not many. I dont mean to jack your thread because there is alot of valuable information for you in some of the posts but im curious about the snow side of it. Also thats why i hate coyote hunting in MN. One snow fall and the dogs come out :evil:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

For the most part. Winter is my favorite season. I just have had better luck hunting coyotes in the snow up in my area. Don't get me wrong I have walked 10 miles before hunting coyotes in the snow and am not really fond of it but we also got one and had shots at 3 more. So it was a good day. When I did get home though I was thinking why in the hell did I just do that, felt it in my legs for 3 days.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

aahh the night mares of walking sections when the snow is up to your needs!!!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

huntinND wrote:In some cases If you get vocal response (barking) while using distress sounds it means they know something is up. How far are you walking into your calling stands? You may want to consider a different approach into areas where you have seen coyotes to avoid being spotted on the way in. It may help to do some locating at first light, then set up on them so you know the general area they are at. After locating you have to set up on them right away this time of year because they will most likely be on the move unless it is late morning.
The only times I have felt that I coyote didn't come in all the way due to territorial boundaries it seemed pretty obvious by watching their behavior. They do A lot of scratching and urinating and aggressive postures. In these cases your best bet is to let them work there way off, sneak out and come back at a later date with a different setup. Mark these spots down and when the wind is right come in from the other side. I've called pairs in twice in the same day by switching things up, different sound and different setup. Sounds like you have plenty to work with so let us know when you connect.
this is great info guys!

don't forget, that even when you do everything right, coyotes will be coyotes and at times nothing you can do will change the outcome. You may just be on coyotes that have been all jacked up. No matter who you are, these can be tough to get. I have had some other posts about this and if time is an issue sometimes it is best to move on. If you have all day everyday to work it out that is one thing but if you just have a few days a week or a month.........well fur is fur. Move on to another area and find some coyotes that not everyone else has taken a shot at. everyone goes through tough times like this, one of these mornings the coyote gods will look down on you and smile. Everything will click and you will have one of those days were you will be beating them off with your gun.

Isn't that right Chris! :D
Coyotes Forever