coyote studies

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: coyote territories

Post by lyonch »

Coyotehunter wrote:
Isn't that right Chris! :D

that is a 100% right jamie. For those of you who dont know what were talking about, i had one come in this weekend that came from my blindside as i was looking the other way with the binoculars. Well i heard the footprints and looked behind me and there one was. It was so close that it hit my rifle and tipped the damn thing over :shock: . I was so shocked and suprised besides almost taking a duece in my pants, instead of grabbing the shotgun that was right next to me i grabbed the rifle that was tipping over and of course the minute he hit the brush i shot and missed and never to see him again. It was fricken caos. :lol: Of course it was a pup!!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Coyotehunter wrote:
huntinND wrote:
don't forget, that even when you do everything right, coyotes will be coyotes and at times nothing you can do will change the outcome. You may just be on coyotes that have been all jacked up. No matter who you are, these can be tough to get. I have had some other posts about this and if time is an issue sometimes it is best to move on. If you have all day everyday to work it out that is one thing but if you just have a few days a week or a month.........well fur is fur. Move on to another area and find some coyotes that not everyone else has taken a shot at. everyone goes through tough times like this, one of these mornings the coyote gods will look down on you and smile. Everything will click and you will have one of those days were you will be beating them off with your gun.

Isn't that right Chris! :D
Well Chris, tell the truth!!!!!

We found a few families this weekend, it seemed like a pup or two with mom. Is there a time frame when mama lets the pups go on there own. I realize there are time were they could always be a pack.

I am applying for a new hunting partner, and accepting applications :wink:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

I'm with Rhino on the snow thing ...I just love to hunt those coyotes in the snow, its the only type of locating that I use ..tracks in the snow and yes seeing them at great distances and setting up on them later... all said I'm pretty much a cold weather caller, calling cold :shock: But do love the snow!!!!!! You know now that I'm thinking about it all when I used to trap for a living, most of my trapping was in the snow "except for the masked bandit" and muskrats, beaver and mink after freeze up and loved those snow sets for fox.

Hmm? maybe got that habit cause no compitition after snow??

Let it snow :lol:
a proud member of the "IF" team
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Pups with adults still: this varies a little this time of year and when that particular litter was born, they should all be on their own shortly, but you might have a group of three to four pups stay together for awhile. (depends on multiple different things). The adults may stay in that territory for the whole year but may tend to defend it less aggressively until it gets closer to mating and denning seasons.

Snow: Makes it harder to get into those way back areas but is that a good thing? When i hunted a lot of competitions i loved it to be real tough conditions that kept most guys in the truck and hoping to see one off of the road. Only the die hards that wanted to put in the effort and put up with the conditions still killed coyotes. If the snowmobiles were being run head for the roughest country in the area.

Stick to distress calls for this time of year and just pick of the juveinlies that come in on the run. I never spent a whole lot of time chasing one coyote this time of year there is just too many stupid ones out there to waste your time on one squirrel

Great topic this time of year!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Brad last weekend we had two different sets, were the pups were with mama! we cleaned the pups up on one set so hopefully we can sneak back in their and clean up the female. The other set, well that just went to hell in a short period of time. Hopefully we can get another wind and clean that family up. I am thinking real soon the pups should start to be on there own. Like you said, you cant focus to hard on one coyote right now, there are alot of pups out there for the taking
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I need some revenge on that coyote that tipped my gun over :evil: :evil: I need to be smarter next time and grab the shotgun :oops: Any way it was interesting to see them out and about with the bitch. im looking forward to getting back out there and trying a different approach on them. they are definitely big enought to be on there own!!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Here is a pic of some coyote Kickbacks
Here is a pic of some coyote Kickbacks
kickbacks.jpg (85.9 KiB) Viewed 13026 times
Coyotes Forever
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

so is the coyote marking its territory then? it looks like what my dogs do when they scratch the ground.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Yep, great spot for anything. traps and/or trail snares.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Always like to find sign like that no matter what your poison you're definetly in an area where you can kill a coyote
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

[quote][Stick to distress calls for this time of year and just pick of the juveinlies that come in on the run./quote]
Good info Prarie Ghost. This time of year the pups are starting to disperse and looking for an area of there own. If a caller uses coyote vocals on his stand they are more than likely going to scare off the YOY coyotes.
At the end of a stand it dose'nt hurt to use vocals just incase you have an older pair around.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Amen :D
Coyotes Forever