Kill the smart mouth

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Kill the smart mouth

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I had a family group move in on a sheep herd (weren't born there but moved in after the local family was removed) The pups were running a fairly large area on there own (judging by the locating) but the adults were pretty tight lipped. I went in on the pups after locating them to try to call them in with just distress sounds. 10 minutes in i can see three of them top a hill at 400 yds and still at a good trot coming in they started to let out a group howl and then hung up. I hit a little more distress sounds and here they come! They made it about 50yds closer and a deep voiced coyote 1/2 mile behind them started giving me the dickens. They immediately turned and headed back the way that they had come from :evil: I snuck to the hill that they had hung up on and tried to find them to see if i could get a shot or call them back in but could not locate them at all! All the time the deep voiced coyote kept on with his na na nananaaaa. I tried to narrow down from the sound as best as i could where the coyote should be and drove a couple miles around to set up or sneak up on it. I snuck into a large rock overlooking the drainage i figured it should be in and extended my bipod only to see the coyote rise from his bed right below me (200yds) from the sound of the bi-pod!!!! He had no idea where i was and stood pretty long enough to get a well placed 69grain heart pill delivered. I called for 15 minutes hoping the pups were in the area but they never did show up and have since either kept tight lipped, split up or vacated the area.

It ended up being a large male coyote in the 3-5yr range.

Moral of the story: if a coyote wants to sit and howl at you he is in trouble if you play your cards right
Attachments
43 small.JPG
43 small.JPG (302.45 KiB) Viewed 3835 times
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Re: Kill the smart mouth

Post by Dcoy »

Good stuff!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Great post Brad!!! Nothing feels better then getting the one that was screaming at you. When they yell at you long enough a guy starts to take it a little personal :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

You showed him who's boss! nice job!
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

You definatly proove the theory ( Luck is earned )
Good job,
Norm