crow hunting

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

pahomegrown
coyotehunter

crow hunting

Post by pahomegrown »

you guys out west ever try crow hunting. its alot of fun to do with your buddies. in pa we cant hunt on sundays unless its crow so instead of haveing to waste a perfectly nice sunday watching nascar or fixing something thats broke, or even worse helpin the old lady goe shoping or some goofy stuff. i go crow hunting (most of the time i get ready leave before she gets up) :twisted:
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: crow hunting

Post by lyonch »

I have done it a few times in Minnesota. It is alot of fun but now that i am getting into trapping so i spend all my time preping everything and scouting. It was fun when i did it though :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

when I lived in Eastern North Dakota my brother and I did it a bunch. decoys and a electronic call. Loved it.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Used to do a lot back in ND great times had by all. Had a lot of luck with electronics but never had a whole lot of luck with the handcalls
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

Never played this game, but want to bad....

Couple crow decoys and an owl decoy with the crow honker (FX3) cranked and shit will happen is my very limited understanding of how to do it.

Can anybody throw some hints or tricks maybe local to food or H2O or maybe time of day and closeness to where they sleep ?????

I am definatly wanting to drop some of the army of darkness out of the sky...

Thanks in advance,
Norm
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Well norm when i did it i always tried to focus on pine trees in minnesota. The seemed to always hang out around those. As far as tips go there really isn't any. I used the crow decoys with the owl same as you described. It is a hoot when you hit the call and here they come a whole flock of them out from the trees and coming in to you.
Chris Lyon

huntinND
coyotehunter

Post by huntinND »

I used to do it some when I lived in Wisconsin. definitely need an e-caller. If you find where they are roosting and which direction they are flying out then you can set up in between and do pretty good. Where we hunted there was an area of planted pines they would roost in then trickle out to corn fields. They are pretty dang smart though, you need good camo. The problem I had was I would shoot a few then all of the rest within hearing range would avoid the area where I was set up in so I would have to move.
I've got a sickness and the only cure is more coyotes
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

same for us. We found that even going back to the same spot weeks later was never as good. You could see them pick up out of a shelterbelt or cornfield, a couple would come ahead and would just get in outside of shotgun range. bark some kind of warning and off the whole flock would go. We would hide in old barns and houses at times. put out a owl decoy and some crow decoys. turn on the johnny stewart with the crow owl fight and here they would come. Loved it.
Coyotes Forever
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

It is fast paced hunting!!! It is alot like when your on stand and you just touched your call and within 10 seconds he is in your face running you over :wink:
Chris Lyon

pahomegrown
coyotehunter

Post by pahomegrown »

i do it by getting in the car and driving around on back roads until i see them drive down the road alittle bit and grab the jhonny stewart and crow decoys hit the crow fight/wounded crow and they come in sometimes you get them other times you miss, my favorite part is when ya wing'em and they start calling for back up when they hit the ground, then once they start comeing in they get real low and dont seem bothered by the shotguns as long as a crow is still calling for help and you can just shoot them till there all shot or gone take lots of shells i prefer the remington express longrange high-brass in 12ga with a full choke for those reach out and smack em shots. :D it especially good fun cause it doesnt seem to matter what time of the day it is you can always find crows to shoot