Keeping fur for a few days w/o freezer

Do you have questions or tips to share on putting up your fur, this is the place to go

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Keeping fur for a few days w/o freezer

Post by Fallguy »

Here is a question I hope you can help me with:

Papapete and I will be going pheasant hunting this weekend at my father in laws hunting shack. We will be doing a 3 day trip (friday AM-Sunday PM), hunting birds and doing some calling. Last year was the first year where we actually did some calling out there. I ended up shooting a coyote on the last day of the trip (brought it home and skinned it). The problem is out there we have no electricity or running water.

This year we plan on doing a lot more calling.

My question is: If you shot a coyote out there on Friday morning (forecast shows highs in the upper 50s with lows in the high 30s), how long will it keep? Would it be best to skin it out right away and just keep the hide on ice? Will it be ok on the carcass a few days? What would be the best bet to keep the fur from slipping? I am looking for any advice other than hauling stretchers and fleshing beams out to the cabin. I end up bringing enough other stuff.

Thanks.

Heres a pic from last year. Sorry I don't have the whole cabin.

"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Keeping fur for a few days w/o freezer

Post by Coyotehunter »

always skin as soon as possible. it will keep on ice for a few days. if possible get some borax and sprinkle that on any meat and fat that is left on, especially the area of the bullet hole.
Coyotes Forever
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Coyotehunter

So I should be able to keep that hide for a few days anyway without fleshing? Usually what I do is skin my coyotes, then freeze them, then after I get a few I thaw them and do some fur handling (fleshing, washing, stretching, drying, etc.). Would that work then?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

yep, you should be fine. I would keep them out of the sun light and away from any bugs of course but as long as you get them skinned ritght away you should be fine.
Coyotes Forever
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I shot one this year at the end of september in wyoming and skun it and kept it on ice for 2 days before it got to the freezer and it put up really nice with no hair slipping.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Thanks for the info guys.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Get it skinned and get it cooled down don't roll it up right away and put it on ice. You need to let the heat from the coyote being alive escape first. After that just keep it in the shade and lows of 30 should keep them fine. Make sure when you drive home that you have them covered in your pickup so they don't roast going down the highway.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!