Coyote Fever!!

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

rhino
coyotehunter

Coyote Fever!!

Post by rhino »

Well the time has come for coyote fever!! I decided to make a set last night and guess what. My first miss of the season!! :lol: I was calling from a hay meadow and sitting in front of a bale. I forgot my watch so I wasn't sure how long I was calling. But I wasn't seeing anything and it was getting dark so I was going to leave. I stood up and glassed and nothing. Then all of the sudden I saw a coyote peeking over the hill. I quickly sat down and tried to lip squeek. then I did some pup yips. and about 3 minutes later to my right about 50 yards from the original sighting there he was. I put the bead on but was shooting through weeds. I shot high I think and he went running back where he came from. I don't think he saw me so all might be good for next time. Nothing like a coyote coming in to start the fall hunting season off.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: Coyote Fever!!

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Nothing like a clean miss to get you going :lol: i feel for you man it happens to all of us :oops:
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I miss more than anyone i know when they get close :oops: Its like a religion for me it seems like :shock:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

It is always tough when they come out of know where like that. I bet it gout the blood flowing. :D
Coyotes Forever
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I am getting the fever too. Hope to get out in the next few weeks.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

you know the blood is flowing and can't wait to do it all over again. there is something about a coyote coming to the call that is addicting. I talk with hunters that don't hunt coyotes and I get the impression they think it is boring. but until you feel that adrenalin rush you don't know what you are missing. too bad I have to sit in an office chair all day long and look at a computer screen. this time of year it is sure hard to concentrate on work. :lol:
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Well you and my buddy agreeing to try the 'Classic'with me got me going a bit as well.Cleaned the 'white'off the cannon(220 improved),charged up the E-caller,dusted off the mouth callers,and....decided to go goose hunting this morning. :oops:
Soon though,very soon.
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

I was bear huntingin MN last week and we did a few stands trying to call in a bear, with no results, but it made me scratch the itch,with the weather cooler, a full moon coming, now outside blowing my new howler in my boxers and scratchin the itch :lol: Yes, soon very soon!

BRAG...... did shoot a nice bear with my recurve over bait, 19" PY, and 260# that makes 10 book animals with the old recurve....Do they have a record book for coyotes???(coyotehunter.net could start it) I AM going to shoot one with my bow this year.or maybe miss :(
a proud member of the "IF" team
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

good idea!! a record book for coyotes!! not sure how you would score a coyote?? longest canines??
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I think a old coyote is a real prize. Teeth alone do not give you a very good indication of age. You have to clean the skull and look at the suture lines, to see how much they are fused together and then the teeth to get a range for the age. Great idea though, anyone have any thoughts on this?
Coyotes Forever
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Terry,
Congrats on the bear!I'm a bow nut as well and still occ break out an old recurve to verify I can do it. :D Used to hunt bears a lot in Mn(my wife has shot 7 with a bow)and elsewhere but not for years.
Turns out the young guy i am hunting the Classic(both rookies at tournies-there to learn)with knows you from dog training.
From what he says,better stay away from you. :mrgreen:
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

For ageing a coyote you can remove the fang tooth and cut it cross-ways and then put a little stain on the cross-cut end and you can count the rings.. I have'nt done it on coyotes yet, just bobcats..
For throphy coyotes i think they should be scored by total length + weight + a skull measurement ..

[quote I think a old coyote is a real prize.][/quote]

Nothing in the world like calling an old one in and killing it.. They got old from not being stupid and i think they make the best trophy of all ... :D

Season for me is only a few weeks away with the season starting off with a hunting trip to AZ for coyotes and to hang out with good friends..
I plan on doing a contest and then a hunt in the Pierre area in Dec. and then more hunting for 3-4 months.. :D
OldDude
coyotehunter

Post by OldDude »

Tim, was that a campout you went to and about 40 guys showed up? Guys like Les Johnson and Rich Higgins? If so, I was there too lol.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Yes the huntmaster campout,, A great time was had with some of the best callers and shooters and trappers in the U.S.A... A few others that deserve to be mentioned like Dan Carrey, Steve Craig, Geordie, Randy Shaw, Leonard, Tim B. and many more, which are a great bunch of guys and very knowledgable on coyotes,fox, bobcats and big cats..
OldDude
coyotehunter

Post by OldDude »

Yeah, I know. I was the old guy that just had his right lung taken out the month before the campout, my wife was my nurse and the only female at the campout. I know most of those guys and they know me. I went to high school with Leonard, so you know I ain't young lol. I made the first two campouts but have not been back tell now, I'll try to make it back next year when the wind ain't blowing. Where are you from?