Pennsylvania coyote hunting

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
pahomegrown
coyotehunter

Pennsylvania coyote hunting

Post by pahomegrown »

I've hunted coyotes with dogs here but i cant seem to call one in. its proving to be a diffuclt ordeal, so if anybody has any info on eastern coyote hunting or even better pa advice i would warmly welcome it.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: Pennsylvania coyote hunting

Post by lyonch »

Isn't that the state of brotherly love :shock: :P Well it sounds like your going at it all wrong :lol: :lol: JK well it is hard for us to tell you what you are doing wrong with the calling aspect of it if we dont have any details to go by. I bet that the minute you struggle calling you get the dogs out and run them. At least thats what the guys in minnesota do. If you have some time try to review and search some old posts and you might find your answer. If you dont find it then give us some specifics and we will try to help that best that we can. Just remeber that nothing is wrote in stone for coyotes and everything you will receive for information is opinions. These opinions are stated becaue thats what people have seen or addressed at one time or another in the field. Not experienced behind there desk on the web!!!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
pahomegrown
coyotehunter

Post by pahomegrown »

Heres the big problem irun into is everyone i've talked to around here in western pa has been telling me to start of really loud then tone it down, now i do have a really old jhonny stewart electric caller but it has to have like 8 d sizes batteries and the buttons to work it seem to loud. on top of that speaker for it 1/4 plug with like 30yds of cable. it only goes loud and really loud and seems to scare them. but with the hand call i have i did manage once to call in a big silver coyote, it was the only one i;ve managed to call in. the other thing is i cant run the dogs where id really like to do to within 3 to 5 mile is a main interstate rd. and the one coyote i shot was a fluke. it was in the early summer and we were in the garage working on a tractor when we heard this awful noise in the feild behind the house, it was a huge coyote that had afawn by the throat so iwent back in got the 223 and laid him out cold. 68 lbs thats the only one i,ve got outside of the dogs.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I dont wanna call you a liar but 68lbs. I dont think so!!! It is possible that it was a coydog which is part coyote part dog. As far as a purebread coyote i would have to say no. The biggest coyote that i have ever personally seen with my own eyes on a scale was 40 lbs. If you ever get the chance to catch a rabbit or it sounds like you got to hear a fawn in distress how loud was that? I bet it was a lot louder than what you excpected. Personally when i am on stand my first few series are softer in case i snuck in close to one. As the stand goes on my call gets louder and louder. Another thing that has been preached on this site is location. You need to be in the right spot to call a coyote. you also need to put every aspect in your favor that you can. Study your coyotes more and do a lot of locating. locating a coyote in the early morning or late evening gives you a good idea where they are hanging out at. This time of year you should be able to still get those pups to sound off fairly easy. Even though they are run with dogs it is still possible to call them in. Yes it does get tougher but it can be done. If you study these coyotes like you would study for a college final or an important exam that could change you life you will kill that coyote or coyotes however many there are. Good Luck and i hope i didn't affend you when i said a 68 lb coyote is highly unlikely.
Chris Lyon

pahomegrown
coyotehunter

Post by pahomegrown »

i know 68 seems far fetched but our local tri county tourney brought one in at 73. not as many people in my area hunt for them, majority of people that get one are folks who shoot one in deer season. i will take photos this season and post them, and if we get abig one or the annual tourney does i'll make sure to get photo of it on the scale. no offense was taken, alot of coyote have been heard around my house this year and i did manage to stumble onto to two rock holes(like huge rocks laying across each other forming like a room i can walk into and the ceilings about 9 foot give or take afew inches, only one entrace hole) i didnt venture in though, alot of tracks, scat, and bones around the entrance. only the one seemed inhabited. how i found them was looking for a good stand for archery. is it a good idea to try hunting them around close to their or do you think i disturbed them?
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I were to think that this time of year if you were to go out there and sit in the vicinity of a den and did some pup in distress sounds that you should be able to get the adults to come running in. Depending upon a lot of things though that are beyond what i know about coyotes that they might have left the den and are on there own now. The more you get out there and stick with it you will eventually call one in and over the years you will learn what it takes to be a successfull caller in your area.
Chris Lyon

rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

wow!! 68 lbs does seem on the heavy side. They must eat well in PA. I would like to see pictures of any future coyotes that tip the scale like that.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Those Eastern coyotes are big. I have read some studies and that just seems to be the norm out there. some speculation on cross bred with red wolves decades ago and moved north after the grey wolves started to disappear. you have all kinds of things over in that country that makes calling in coyotes difficult. 1. population people (hi) and coyotes (lo) 2. size of most tracts of land (small by western standards) limits access to a pair of coyotes 3. visability just to name a few. you need to spend some time out locating coyotes in may and june from about 10pm to 2am and start identifing denning pockets. you got to find where your coyotes are spending there days. not just one or two groups but 15 - 20 pairs would be a place to start if you want to make your winter calling productive. well 15-20 out there might be tough but I would think 7-10 should be dueable. you can do the same now in the evening but they move around alot more this time of year. the most productive is in the spring, find those pups. learn your coyotes in the spring and summer, kill them in the fall snd winter.
Coyotes Forever
pahomegrown
coyotehunter

Post by pahomegrown »

First i would like to thank all of you for the info provided to me, im gonna try really hard this season with what you guys have shared with me and i think i might not try to give up and go run the dogs cause dont get me wrong running them is fun but its really hard with 2 or 3 guys. thats why i want to learn more about the art of calling. and i will be sure to photograph the first one with a call and post it, as with any of the bigger ones i could run into. this site has been of enourmus vaule cause anyone local icould find didnt want to help me. maybe cause im only twenty or they didnt want to share cause they thought i would steal there yotes or something. the thing is i live in one of the more rural counties, and have my whole life. i wanna stay here and hunt coon, yotes, and deer till i die, this and fishing is what i live for so thank you all very much again.

braden
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Hey Braden hang in there it will come around. How much land do you have access to? (are you calling the same 500 acres everytime you go out?)

Like coyotehunter said get out in the spring and locate those denning areas thats where they like to be. But don't get discouraged because you didn't do that this spring just get out there as soon as possible and locate and start putting the puzzle together of where they are consistantly and thats where you need to concentrate.

Definetly want some pics of those big eastern coyotes :shock:
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
pahomegrown
coyotehunter

Post by pahomegrown »

no not now about 2yrs ago i was going to the same spot. but yesterday i took my jeep to get oil undercoated and was able to get three new places to hunt, the garage owner owns alot of farming property and i asked if they were seeing any and he said yeah they've been having problems with them asked me why i asked him about it, i told him i hunted them and he asked when i could start! so that opens thing up quite a bit, cause i live on top of a river valley having acess to farmland is a very nice thing. he also showed me to active dens on his property. im going to check some more places out tonight then this weekend im going out and gonna give it to 'em. hopefully
soularcher

Post by soularcher »

Greetings from New Tripoli PA. I am new to Coyote hunting, and I have seen them up here in SGL 205 from time to time. I am looking to gain the knowledege to be able to get out and hunt coyotes, but to be honest, I don't know the first thing about it. I hunt deer, turkey, small game, and I've seen coyotes, just don't know how to go about hunting them other than just getting lucky and seeing one. I could've got one two years ago with a bow, but that was before I checked the rule book and didn't know if I needed a furtaker's license, so I let it go. This spring I saw one approach my decoys in spring gobbler, but she spotted me before I could get my gun up, I never knew they were that big! Anyway, any advice would be helpful. I looked through some of the posts, and did some searches, but I really need the basics. From what I have read, calling can be done with diaphragm or electric call(not sure if those are legal in PA). I understand that I need to hunt with a blind, perhaps at the end of a hedgerow by some fields or whatnot. Also, I read that I need to locate them, I did see some this year while turkey hunting, but I have heard that guys call to llocate them, and I'm not sure how that's done, or when. Again, I have a lot of questions, and I apologize for being so sporadic with them. I just don't know where to start. Thanks in advance
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

soularcher,
if i was in your shoes i would go into the general disussion forum and start asking your questions one by one. Start reading some of the studies that jamie has posted in other posts so that you can get some general background of a coyote. Feel free to ask any questions cause we have all been in your shoes at one time or another.
Chris Lyon

soularcher

Post by soularcher »

lyonch wrote:soularcher,
if i was in your shoes i would go into the general disussion forum and start asking your questions one by one. Start reading some of the studies that Coyotehunter has posted in other posts so that you can get some general background of a coyote. Feel free to ask any questions cause we have all been in your shoes at one time or another.
Okay, will do. I do have a lot of questions, and I hope to be posting some pics one day soon!

Thanks.
Jake
coyotehunter

Post by Jake »

Throughout Pennsylvania, the Coyote population is growing.
Hunting them is becoming one of my favorite pass times.
Seeing a coyote or hearing the howl of this wild, wily animal is a great reward of nature to many people. Others fear this animal just knowing it is in the wild. Some sportsmen hate coyotes because they think the predators kill too many game animals. I love the fact that they are out here, with no closed season, it has given me a rewarding sport, to share with my Grandson all year long.
Trappers and hunters find coyotes to be especially challenging. Some farmers lose livestock due to coyote predation. The coyote has been referred to as the brush wolf, prairie wolf, coy-dog and eastern coyote. Enjoy the sport each day, and carry on the sport.
:D
It is, What it is.