Pressured coyotes

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Red Fox
coyotehunter

Pressured coyotes

Post by Red Fox »

I am limited on how far I can hunt from home do to family obligations. The local ones here get a fair ammount of pressure after the deer season closes. I was wondering if anyone here has come up with any idea to trick the ones that have heard or seen it before. The population level here is not real high and I don't feel food is a real big issue in the winter. Thanks, Dave Englund
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Pressured coyotes

Post by Coyotehunter »

This is hard no matter who you are or how much experience you have. Here it is in a nut shell short and sweet (Keep it Simple) get a locate on them (hearing them howl or a visual) move in tight watching the direction of the wind, only do a small amount of calling and spend a lot more time on stand. A hour or better may be required to invoke a response. Watch the volume and frequency of your calling, less is more mentality. I have sat as long as 3 1/2 hours on stand to get a coyote in that I needed to kill.
Coyotes Forever
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

I have wondered how to get pressured coyotes too. I think that is probably pretty common close to any town. I know it is where I hunt. Unless you can get to them early. Around mid December -January they have heard every call in the bag. It makes sense to move in closer on them if possible without being detected. They might be more interested if you are say 1/4 mile a way instead of a 1/2 mile to 1 mile.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

just keep it simple and stay positive. Make as many quality stands as possible, and don't get fustrated. I am still learning this myself but Location Location Location is the most important!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

I try to do very little calling and way more sitting. Curiosity killed the coyote. I think its easier to blow out a set when there not hungry or territorial but if you wait longer and maybe after your initial series of calls just back off the volume and the frequency you'll get them curious enough and give them enough time to mosey into the area. The problem I've had with that is they seem to hang up more.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Yep, I see the same thing during certain time of the year. Like now. :D Fewer coyotes have interest in the dogs right now. No need to go into all of that at this time but this is where knowing your gun makes a huge difference. The guys out there winning the tournaments don't do that consistantly because they are a half ass shot or never have a coyote hang up. You need to practice those 300, 400, and 500 yard shots if you wnat to make them in the field. It does hunters know good to go out and buy a 1/2" gun if they never practice a shot out past 200 yards.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Definetly back off how much you call. Leaving the curiosity factor is always a plus. If i haven't had a response in 30 minutes i will stay sitting for up to 30 minutes without making a sound. Rich Higgins had some great footage of a coyote coming into a camera left up at the stand an hour after he had called
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Interesting.Like bugling elk at times.Come in late and silent-alligator bulls.
I know that on occasion if I stay longer,its not unusual to see one coming in very late.Often happens if I only have time for one set in the morning and stay longer than usual.
Haste makes waste vs running and gunning.I suspect with experience one becomes better at deciding which mode to turn on.
huntinND
coyotehunter

Post by huntinND »

All very good points so far, Make sure you have a good set of binoculars and do a lot of glassing in between calls. I don't know how many times I have spotted a coyotes head peaking over the hill. Low volume calling then giving them the silent treatment has worked for me in the past. After a while they are probably used to seeing a hunter get up and walk off after fifteen minutes, So staying longer pays off. As far as hung up coyotes, your best bet is to know your rifle and have a good range finder. I have had the most success pulling them a little closer with very low volume adult coyote distress or pup distress on the e-caller regardless of the time of year. But this is not the answer to every situation sometimes it works and other times they just stare.
I've got a sickness and the only cure is more coyotes
songdogsniper

Post by songdogsniper »

all great points and great info....ive also noticed that if your howling alot in an area and you stop getting responses in a place where you know there is alot more coyotes you can use prey distress sounds in short, loud bursts...usually between 5 to 12 seconds long and wait about 30 seconds to 2 minutes between bursts. ive also made a coyote curious enough to come in from 200 yards with lip sqeeks alone. the best tip i can give is PATIENCE and dont get frustrated !!!
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

Patients is key!

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

yep, if you can read a coyotes body language at times they will tell you a lot. when they have had enough and when they are going to work in closer.
Coyotes Forever
songdogsniper

Post by songdogsniper »

very true...if you see them yawning or smacking there lips that means they r frustrated and will most likely leave, also if they r trotting broadside and looking at you and all of a sudden duck the tail down get ready for a running shot !!! if one hangs up way out there and keeps looking back sit tight ...that usually means theres another one coming, ( just from my experience)
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

If you have a coyote coming in hard and he hits the brakes and sits down, and won't come any closer and keeps looking to his left and right; more than likely it is one of two things, either he has hit a boudary line, or he see's/smells another coyote coming to your call. If you get lucky enough to get that coyote cross that boundary line and he starts coming again he will be on full alert the whole time and will act really nervous, so be ready to shoot the minute you have the shot or let him retreat and go after him from another angle.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!