coyote weights

coyote studies

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

tiller

coyote weights

Post by tiller »

I had a guy tell me that he has seen coyotes weigh up to 100 pounds and maybe thats true but I weigh each coyote that I don't skin in the field and they average 30 pounds, some larger ones weigh 35 and a huge one is pushing 40. I find it hard to believe that a coyote can weigh a hundred, heck, that's nearly some wolf weights. So I'm wondering if guys here weigh their coyotes and if so, what do they weigh?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" Red Green
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: coyote weights

Post by lyonch »

All of the coyotes i have seen average around 30 lbs like yours. The eastern coyote does get bigger but until i see the scale and the coyote on it with a digital read out on the weight, only then will i ever believe a 100 yote.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

I agree.A scale,a readout plus an x-ray confirming no lead or bowling balls in it and maybe even an autopsy report confirming it wasn't pumped full of water and then frozen. :D
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

agree, "I have to see it to believe it myself"
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

he's full of shit :!:

what part of the country is he seeing these monsters?
Coyotes Forever
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

the legendary coyote monster!! :roll: Sounds a little unbelievable to me too. I had a guy telling me last week about 70 lb coyotes. I thought that was out of line too. maybe they are just looking at them and seeing lots of fluff and thinking they look like 100 lbs. :lol: Hell my one dog looks like he weighs 75 pounds when he gets his winter coat. he is only about 40 lbs
tiller

Post by tiller »

My dad used to say"if is doesn't make sense it probably isn't true" Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy, at least as far as weights go. Many of the new coyote hunters I take out think that coyotes are huge, but as we all know they're mostly fur. Maybe the coyotes in his area have been taking steroids.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" Red Green
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Most of the coyotes where i live weigh around 32-38 pounds and we get one or two a year that make it to 42 pounds..
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I noticed too that most minnesota coyotes are slightly larger than the north dakota ones. Since i hunt mainly north dakota thats why i said my average is around 28-30lbs for a coyote. I dont get why people think that just because the coyote is big its a trophy. I would say that a coyote that is well aged is a true prize!!! anybody can shoot a big heavy coyote and anybody can shoot a small one, but to call in and shoot that old wise female or male that has been around the block a time or two is something to feel good about!! Theres been quite a few tournaments that the biggest looking dog did not get big dog award. If you take a very large coyote that roams on the prairie and lives a harsh life with hard hunting and then take an average coyote that lives around a stock yard and gorges himself day after day on cattle carcasses then he will obviously end up being heavier mainly due to stomach contents.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

the females that I have weighed at the tournaments over the years seem to run 28-30 lbs for the females and 32-34 for the males. Minnesota coyotes (Canis Latrans Thamos (I think Thamos is Latin for brush or brush wolf))is are a different subspecies than the north dakota (Canis Latrans Latrans) coyotes. Going from memory here so if I am wrong someone point it out.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

There is a name for a 100# coyote and it is..............A WOLF. Tell the guy he is full of BS
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I hope you do not believe everyting you see and read on the internet.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Coyotehunter wrote:I hope you do not believe everyting you see and read on the internet.
LOL

:lol:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

You mean it's not true :(
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...